Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name change - filed!

Name change - filed!

Well, all the paperwork is in the mail - in 8 to 12 weeks I should be walking out of the Fulton County court house with my new name!! All it takes is money

Jane out of curiosity, are just changing your name only or are you also changing your gender marker too ?

Reason I ask is here in TX some judges (not all) have been giving folks a real hassle on gender maker changes even to those who have had GRS.

Keep us posted how it turns out !!, Hopefully it will be pain free other than the $$$
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

So in PA changing gender marker on state ID docs only requires a 1 page form with an endorsement from a board certified doctor or mental health professional (from anywhere in the US) - it's pretty awesome, and similar to New Jersey and Washington DC.

Once my name is changed, I will have to go back to Maryland about getting my birth certificate updated with correct gender marker.

THEN the military, which is a whole other ball of wax

Silver Member
    Exciting! Glad this is happening for you.

YAYYY!!! Congrats Jane!!!... This is one of the milestones that just feels extra good!
    Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been?... Little pieces blowing gently on the wind... 11:11

Awesome..way to go Jane...Good for you!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Congratulations Jane and may the good times continue to roll with you. Is that a carp tattoo on your shoulder? The Detroit area newspapers used to have a comic called Guindon and the carp was featured many times in the toons.

Untitled
    So Jane, you're changing your name to filed

I found that one of the most empowering moments, luckily, in the UK we have a much easier system to change our name. Congratulations
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Is that a carp tattoo on your shoulder? .
    I have a "Reverse mermaid" tattoo, and I love it represents much of this life

Blimey! There's a lot to it in Michigan, isn't there!!

In England, all I had to do was walk thru the door of a solicitor, with a piece of paper stating my name change. In the presence of a solicitor, I signed and dated my piece of paper, watched the solicitor sign the same piece of paper, paid my fee (about £10), and left the building with my name legally changed

From start to finish, it couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones!!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Wow, I have to pay my lawyer $1000 and appear in court before a judge - and that's cheap compared to some I've talked to

Gold Member
    The easy part is done. Now the hard part is waiting..... Yay! It is started, so you are on your way. I am very happy for you. Best $1000 you will ever spend.

Way to go Jane �� wish I could move as fast as you are. Wife's having a hard time with me and I don't know how to explain it.

Congrats i've been seriously considering changing my name for the past few months Id probably of allready done it if I knew for sure I could get away without listing my name in the local paper there's still family who dont know yet and I don't want them to as of yet I live and present as male but my chosen name at least depending on the spelling works well for both genders. Im also holding up a bit to because I want to be 1000% sure ill be happy with with Rylie I refuse to change it 10 more times recently a friend had suggested Stevie because my given name is Steven in does make sense to use that name but after thinking on it for around 2 weeks and speaking with a few other friends and some family I ditched that idea.

So happy for you! Damn girl you are moving fast.
    Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

So happy!

If not for my repressing for two weeks and foolishly thinking I could delay HRT to freeze sperm, we'd both be at six months!
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Felicitations! It's the most important step, I think.
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Quote Originally Posted by JanePeterson View Post
    Wow, I have to pay my lawyer $1000 and appear in court before a judge - and that's cheap compared to some I've talked to
    What !!! I better get on the stick and see what the real deal is in MN. I heard no big deal. Aside from the $1000 to the lawyer - YAY !!!!!!!!!! So happy for you Jane. That is so cool. I am very excited for you and I know this is a happy step.

The Mad Scientist
    Jane,

So happy for you in this big step.

It is good money spent. I hope you're left some for all the fees the various agency's charge for new documents and insane made up extra fees and postage. That gobbled another $600 of mine. I got lucky and didn't have to appear or even do it locally.
    So I didn't complain.

If I remember right, my partner and myself had a lawyer change our names in Virginia in 1976 for about 150 each. We didn't have to do anything other than sign papers and such.

Back then that was all we could get legally done before SRS.

Gone to live my life
    Congrats Jane! All one can do is move forward

Cheers

Marcelle

Thanks for all the well wishes

For me, the name change is basically the line where I never have to hide ever again - at that moment I will own my own life completely and, for better or worse, will be plunging ahead with no turning back!!

Jane.... I love your joie de vi·vre! Your willingness to attack what you want gives me renewed desire to keep on keeping on and pushing forward. I'm simply awed at your fortitude! You show what single minded purpose can bring about. Thank you for your example! And oh yeah....congrats!

Actually in Britain if you want to be known by a different name,(and title eg. Miss), all you have to do is start using them.... that's it!
    On the practical side many organisations won't accept this and require some sort of deed poll or statutory declaration but even then you don't need a lawyer. You can just fill one in online, free, then print it and have it witnessed by a friend, neighbour, boss etc. This is what I did but...... my bank has been sticky and requires photo ID which I don't have so now I have to renew my old motorcycle licence just to change the names of my bank accounts. So far everybody else has accepted my deed poll and amended their records.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JanePeterson View Post
    Well, all the paperwork is in the mail - in 8 to 12 weeks I should be walking out of the Fulton County court house with my new name!! All it takes is money
    Has it come through yet?

For as much crap as Arizona gets for being a crazy racist red state, they do name changes right out here. I walked in at 8:30, paid the court $244, and had my signed order by 11:30. Nobody gave me crap, said an unkind word, nothing.