Thread: Uber

Uber

Anyone ever use something like Uber or Lyft when dressed? Was thinking it could be an option when I want to drink or bad parking situations. I've never used anything like that so didn't know if I would encounter any problems.

I haven't but I have many friends who have. It's like taking a cab, the driver is getting paid to do a job
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I did once while dressed in Boston.....
    I guess I passed very well as the driver was all googly-eyed at me and was a non-stop chatterbox asking if I was married, etc.
    I was all dolled up that night which may have had something to do with it.
    Its nice to pass in public and even nicer when the men look at you with lust in their eyes.

I have used in DC while dressed, using a different account. I'm also a driver so I would want the other driver not seeing the picture of me when I was requesting the right. It can come in handy as you would have a different name and the driver would think it is a women instead of a man's name. I have riders that had rides requested by other family members and it really isn't a problem.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I have taken cabs and no problem, and I had chatty drivers.Since I had them pick me up at my motel,the conversation was if I was from out of town,if I had a boyfriend, and if I wanted for them to pick me up after I was ready to go back to my motel.Don't know if I should share this but most of my drivers were foreign and from cultures that are not too accepting of crossdressers and I was very surprised that they were cool no issues. Good luck doll and just do it

I've used them a few times.Saved my butt from having to walk on cobblestone streets in heels while in New Orleans lol. Most drivers don't want to risk the bad rating by being rude I think, plus I'm sure they've seen alot and have encountered a lot worse than "a man in a dress," pardon my expression. Go out and have fun!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Ive taken uber it a few times too, no biggie...just THINK of everything they and cabbies have seen. Its nothing new LOL...look at it this way, uber is pretty hip , so..the people driving are probably pretty hip too so...

Yes, all the time in London. I had a problem once when the driver felt it was violating his religion.

I drive for UBER occasionally and would love to have a fellow CDer fare. It might even start a friendship. How cool would that be?

I take Uber when out. Almost exclusively. I do not want any DUIs. I do not want to park three blocks away from the location. Sometimes they do not know you are the one. I just approach the car and say Uber for xxxxx; and away we go.

Yes, and with zero problems. I have used them in the San Francisco Bay area and also recently and multiple times in Kansas City, MO. Just go for it, and as with any type of public transportation, just like taxis, always be alert and careful. There are crazies everywhere.

Hey Amber,

Have had no problems with Ubers here in LA or in NYC. Go for it!

Reality Check
    I have not, but I would think it's pretty similar to calling a taxi. You certainly don't want to drink and drive, especially dressed as a woman. That would be awkward when they take you to jail.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have friends that have used them while dressed.

Used Uber when My car broke down. Didn't phase the driver at all.
    Live and let dress.

Used Uber this weekend in Vegas. Ordered the car, and then looked at my girlfriend and laughed. I said, he's going to be looking for a guy lol.
    Anyway, he showed up our location and no problem whatsoever. He was just as chatty and polite as all the other drivers I've used when dressed as a guy. Yay Uber.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I haven't but I have many friends who have. It's like taking a cab, the driver is getting paid to do a job
    Yeah, except he's unlicensed, shows no I.D. and isn't bonded. May as well just hop in with the neighbourhood rapist.

Reality Check
    I've often wondered how they get away with that in cities where cabs have to be inspected and drivers must pass security checks and be licensed.

I used Uber with a group of friends--all CDs dressed for a night out in DC. The driver of our big black SUV was chatty and an all-around nice guy.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

really? less cases than taxi drivers.

As per Uber requirements
    Every Uber driver, regardless of the Uber service, must meet these basic requirements:

You must be 21 years of age or older.
    You must have 3 years driving experience.
    You must have an in-state Drivers License (depending on your state).
    You must have a clean driving record.
    You must pass a background check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I've often wondered how they get away with that in cities where cabs have to be inspected and drivers must pass security checks and be licensed.
    City-specific info

Uber operates all around the world in over 400 cities and 60 countries. Many cities and areas have specific requirements to satisfy local regulations and conditions.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-24-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by gailprice View Post
    Yes, all the time in London. I had a problem once when the driver felt it was violating his religion.
    How would one handle that? If it were me I think I would have taken the drivers particulars and complained to Uber. I recently saw an article by a female newspaper columnist returning from an evening function in London and dressed in evening wear that was moderately revealing but acceptable, who told of being harassed by a driver. She was very upset by it and found it objectionable that a public service driver would try to impose his religious prescriptions on her.

All the time..... in multiple cities.

Likely the biggest risk anyone using Uber or the like might face would be when they encounter "surge pricing" i.e. the fare rate goes up dramatically when demand rises. This can happen when a theatre or sports event lets out, or the weather turns exceptionally foul such as when a snowstorm unexpectedly hits.

I've heard horror stories of people in my city being dinged to the tune of hundreds of dollars in such instances for an Uber ride which they thought would cost somewhere within a more normal range. To their credit, Uber has been known to relent and reach a negotiated settlement for a more reasonable charge involving customers caught in such a situation, and who weren't prepared to put up with this type of price gouging.

All the Uber drivers I have encountered have been really cool, one time I had to talk to a driver on the phone due to address confusion but still he was cool with it all and he still used proper pronouns when I got in to the vehicle.

With the cost of DUI these days, I will take my chances with a UBER
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo