Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD or TV?

I don't believe I ever heard the term 'crossdresser' until the mid to late eighties.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Barbara correct me if I'm wrong here and to be clear no hurt feelings or toes. Ate you saying there is no CD or TV only TS? Because I'm reading a CD is a confused TS who would be a TS ..........
    No , I simply said that if one is TS, they are not a CD / TV.

They both mean the same. Crossdresser is an English word and Transvestite is a Greek (which means crossdresser).

I say crossdresser.

There were no CD's when I began to TV so I suppose I'm both.
    TV has over the years been more associated with the sexual side of all this and it seems that CD has come to be filling the need for a term that simply describes those who enjoy the dressing aspect.
    Personally I have begun to feel more TG than anything else. This is much more to me than just dressing and it's certainly not about sex. I'm not quite at the TS tipping point and doubt I ever will be there, so simply call me Cheryl and let's let others worry about the labels.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I someone calls me a tranny, and asked, "what type fluid?" Of course, tranny fluid , or ATF, or gender fluid. Of course, Trannies go gender fluid! LOL "They're coming to take me away HAHA, HO HO HEE HEE!"

Banned Read only
    Paranoidfish,
    I haven't gone through all the replies, but this is a regular question and the answer remains the same they are the same thing. Transvestite is from the Latin to wear clothes of the opposite gender, Trans = cross, vestite = clothes or vestiges , crossing over of clothes. Also there is no mention of a sexual connection , or fetish.

It could be considered gender neutral because the term can apply to either gender.

I don't have a problem with any of the terms but not so happy with tranny, I prefer to say I come under the TG umbrella but then the public confuse that with TS, the media does very little to correct that issue .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-26-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Reality Check
    I see "transvestite" as a little insulting and derogatory. I prefer "crossdresser" and that's how I refer to myself. I know it's personal, but the question was asked.

As a part timer, I prefer crossdresser. I think its more accurate as well.

For me (and I guess it is just my view) TV is more about the fetish side - sex related, and CD is the rest - the every day being.
    The first label I gave to my self a year ago was TV and, boy, it was a great feeling. By calling my self TV i suddenly felt more free and realize that I am not alone and that there are so many people like me.
    later this year I changed my label to CD as I realize it is not only sex and fetish.
    I think that the "Label" discussion is important as the label helps to define our self.
    and I will end with a song the runs in my head since i started to read this post (and shows my point on TV and fetish...) :
    "I'm just a sweet transvestite
    From sensational, Transylvania"

Okay, just to clarify, I looked up the word transvestite in the dictionary.

"person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex," 1922, from German Transvestit (1910), coined from Latin trans- "across" (see trans- ) + vestire "to dress, to clothe"

Well Hello Paraniodfish. With that type of forum name. You could be anyone. "LOL just Kiding"
    The label Transvestite is SOOO old and gone. forget about it. The label crossdresser is also starting to go away. Sorry Forum owners.
    But, Yes we do use the word CD. But It is 2016. Out here in southern California for the last 10 years. We go by the term T-GIRL !!!!
    You know the whole LBTG thing. We are not necessarily lesbian or gay or bisexual. We are the T in lbTg.
    That does not label us Tran-Sexuals, It's just the new cool cool word.

XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads.

Banned Read only
    Tiffany,
    It may be fine and cool to our community, but if your in a DADT situation with your partner or wife cool names don't mean too much they prefer we didn't do it at all.

Gen D,
    I don't get where all the extra labels come from, the literal translation doesn't mention a connection with sex or fetishes, and it is a literal translation they do mean the same thing.
    I prefer to say I'm TG , have come to terms with GD plus I have a touch of AGP and I'm bi-gender and they all associate with the need to crossdress.

Hi Teresa, Love your Avatar pix by the way.
    I really dont think anybody brought up the "DADT THING"
    I have read all of Paraniodfish's reply's in this thread. I really think She was just wondering the difference between the SLANG WORDS. TV or CD.
    TV is gone! CD is on its way out. TG is still alive and kicking. "But only if you are trans-gendered"
    T-Girls is the new word for us fabulous women that just like to dress, And not go to have any type of surgery.
    Maybe it is different in the UK than it is in Southern California.
    Teresa, Lets stay on the same page. We are only here to help each other!

XOXO Tiffany Amber Rhoads.

I'm trying to decide which I'd prefer to be called: a television, or a certificate of deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    It wasn't your question. It was some responses. Label threads tend to degrade.

This has been debated on these boards before. It is generally agreed (FWIW) that transvestite is outdated or used more in Europe. Also the word tends to be used more as a derogatory term, especially in the US. In essence they are the same thing.

This is a tired old discussion. Labels, babels!

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Remember what Shakespeare said about that rose.

Transvestite was the common term in the 20th century, back when it was also thought that all of us were doing it for a sexual thrill. I think that at some point, somebody wanted to come up with a term that referred to those that did not. I'm not implying that no one who identifies as a crossdresser doesn't, but it was a way to stop at least one misconception. Unfortunately, once we did that, the question arose as to what we were doing it for, and it seemed virtually no one knew that, either.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Reality Check
    For all those bitching about "labels", labels are a necessary part of language and of life. Without labels, we wouldn't know if a can contained corn or beans without opening it. Without labels, the postman wouldn't know where to deliver a package.

Even this forum labels us. There is a MTF Crossdresser section for MTF crossdressers and there is a Transsexual section for (surprise) transsexuals. (There are other sections as well of course) We are not all the same and the labels clarify this and help us post in the appropriate sections.

Agreed with those who define cd and tv as the same thing ... The same meaning ---tv being the older latin version of cd--
    --just a note though: ( i think )the term transvestite seems to be often used as a derogatory term in the bigger general population . It can be loaded with unfortunate ideas of "sick, pervert, mentally ill , ick, gross etc". Its kind of an old idea from the darker less accepting of personal expression days .
    That may be one reason why the term "crossdresser " emerged into use. "
    (((I know that its ok to wear anything I want , and to never have any regret or shame in doing so .)))

The term "crossdresser " is only now beginning to be more and more recognised by the general population.
    There definately is a less "medical diagnosis" sound to "crossdresser" and its a less degrading sounding term .
    I also think that use of the abbreviations of "cd and tv" can be missed or overlooked by those in general population who are not really in tune to hearing the terms in casual conversation ...
    Still , I am not afraid or offended to hear or read either term .

Personally I prefer to use the term cd for myself Or "TG with a major in CD"

Of course labels and definitions are important but in this case the discussion is about two words with the exact same meaning, only one word has acquired some negative connotations while the other one has yet to acquire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    For all those bitching about "labels", labels are a necessary part of language and of life. Without labels, we wouldn't know if a can contained corn or beans without opening it. Without labels, the postman wouldn't know where to deliver a package.
    labels are only important to the person labeling. So you now put all the people here in the canned food section. As the saying goes, "labels are for soup". And labels here tend to divide instead of unite as you proved with the rest of your post. Sometimes opening an unlabeled can can give you a nice surprise.

BTW if you read the rules (you did once right?) the MtF section " All members can post in this section, it is not restricted to just MTF members."
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by CONSUELO View Post
    ......two words with the exact same meaning, only one word has acquired some negative connotations while the other one has yet to acquire them.
    Oh yeah?

"Honey, I need to tell you something."
    "Uh-oh"
    "I'm a crossdresser."
    "Whew! I was afraid you were going to tell me you're a transvestite."

As everything in life, Label has its pros and cons. It does has the ability to divide, but for the other hand - It is also has the ability to define yourself, to give a frame in which you live.
    I think everybody need something as a structure. someone once told me that "freedom is being able to tie yourself to what you choose". no one can just be...

Teresa,
    I wrote it how i got it. from where - i guess from google and wikipedia - "Transvestic fetishism":
    "Transvestic fetishism is a psychiatric diagnosis applied to those who are thought to have an excessive sexual or erotic interest in cross-dressing; this interest is often expressed in autoerotic behavior. It differs from cross-dressing for entertainment or other purposes that do not involve sexual arousal, and is categorized as a paraphilia in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.[1] (Sexual arousal in response to donning sex-typical clothing is homeovestism.)"

but as you know, wiki isn't always right....

Banned Read only
    Gen,
    That's OK I understand where you're coming from now that title works better using the transvestite term rather than with crossdressing.

I know some don't agree with AGP but I feel I have it to a degree but with the transvestic connotation .

Yes it means the same thing BUT there are a few countries in the world where the TV word is still used in very serious regulations of a criminal nature. In other words it is very derogatory in those nations. Elsewhere - whichever grabs you.
    Julie
    www.neverclimbedhismountain.com
    Summer-wear time