Thread: Susan G Komen

Susan G Komen

Dear Fellow Crossdressers,

A few years ago, under the name Marcy Hunter, I threw out the idea of getting a pink cheerleader uniform and going to the local Susan G Komen events. I received very positive encouragement from all who responded and in 2014 I had a custom uniform made with "Survivors" and the pink ribbon on the chest. (Because it almost looked like 'Swingers' I had the top redone to a more readable lettering)

Early in the year I signed up to volunteer at the Race For The Cure in Fort Worth, TX at Ridgmar Mall. I was a little nervous as I drove out before 5:00 AM but I had made up my mind to do it. And once I found the volunteer coordinator she was overwhelmed with my uniform! Once other folks began arriving and doing the setup I was just another volunteer doing the stuff. Eventually I was sent out to cheer on runners along the course. I was paired with a really nice older woman who was a survivor herself. I had planned on watching her in the survivor procession but I ended up walking in with a couch potato who was in a lot of pain and all the ceremonies were over by the time we got back. But most everyone loved seeing me in my uniform and many asked me to pose with them for pictures.

Later in the year I wore my uniform to the Plano Race For The Cure. I helped with setup and was then placed along the start of the course. Later I moved to the end of the course and cheered on the stragglers. Before the race, I saw two of my lady friends who didn't recognize me until I walked up to them and said "you've got some really weird friends." Then they knew it was me and we chatted and took a photo together. There are three pics of me in the Plano RFTC website for 2014 - I think one of them is with a former Miss Universe contest from South America according to someone who was at the event.

That November brought about the Dallas 3-Day. I was also signed up to volunteer for that one and one of my MeetUp groups had an event to support a survivor from our MeetUp. I wore my uniform and initially helped the walkers carry their gear to their tents. After realizing there where too many workers I was sent to a cheer station to cheer on the walkers. After the last group passed I drove back to the campsite and found the lady from our MeetUp and she was overwhelmed with my uniform! I met her walking companions and we all enjoyed dinner together at the camp.

The next morning it was very cold and somewhat windy. I eventually got placed at the entrance of one of the rest stops and cheered on the walkers. Then one of the rescue vans pulled up and I asked if I could ride with them. They excitedly said yes and proceeded to tell me the story of what happened the day before. One of the drivers, when he saw me at the cheer station, commented on my hot legs! The other told him I was a man to his disbelief. Eventually he realized it was true and now we were all laughing about it. There was also another lady who was unofficially riding in the van (we weren't supposed to be in it) and we became friends. At some time we stopped for lunch and then finished our route. I caught a ride to the last rest stop then walked back to camp with some ladies I met along the way. I changed into my man clothes and ate dinner with my other friends and helped bus peoples' plates until it was over.

The third day I found a cheer station with the Pink Bra Man. I had met him at the RFTC in Fort Worth and posed for a pic with his crew doing my signature skirt hike while flexing my good leg. Again, many people were asking me to pose with them for pics. After the last walker passed I moved downstream to downtown Dallas where I ran into the man I met on the first day and we hung out for awhile. One of the motorcycle cops asked me to pose for a pic next to her motorcycle. From there I went to Fair Park where I finished the day and saw a few other folks I had met during along the weekend.

I volunteered for the two RTFCs the next year but not in my uniform. I have to say being in uniform was much more fun and the people liked it a whole lot more. I still volunteer at different charitable events and wear my cheerleader uniforms to those that encourage costuming. That's what I call crossdressing for a purpose!

Thanks for reading,
    Marcelo

PS I also got my first chiropractic adjustment while all dressed up - I think the student enjoyed it more than I did!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Wow Marcelo you do know how to enjoy your dressing and doing it for a wonderful cause. Thanks for that and for sharing.
    Leigh

Well done

Thanks for sharing! This is not something I had considered doing. Dressing brings joy to me, and it seems you have found a way to bring joy to others by dressing. Well done.