Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Started Work! (I got a job)

I Started Work! (I got a job)

Hi Girls,

Well Saturday came - the alarm woke me at 7am. Serious butterflies! Oh well, up and into the bathroom. Bathed the night before so just a good close shave (getting easier with the electrolysis) and a hair wash. Then hair and make up - nice and light with a little mascara and chocolate lipstick to match my outfit. Time to get dresssed!

I spent several evenings last week trying to decide what to wear - first day at a new job and I really wanted to blend in with the others. I'd come to the decision to go with a denim knee length skirt, a black top and black boots. So I had them out, ready for me. COMPLETELY changed my mind on the day! My latest purchase, a slightly below the knee A line skirt with chocolate vertical line detail, chocolate cami-top with matching cardigan and kitten heel courts. Contrasting jewelry and a really cute belt from Dune. A little perfume (Contradiction by Calvin Clein, my favourite) and I'm ready.

The shop is in a part of London where you have to pay for parking your car and since i'm doing voluentary work that didn't appeal. It's only a mile or so from my home and it was a really sunny, but really cold winter morning. So I decided to walk.

Arrived at 8.55am to find the shutters up but the door locked. i couldn't find a bell so knocked on the door and waited. My heart was racing! Anyway, Emma, the shop manager appeared with a big smile and opened the door. "Monica, lovely to see you again, come in". I felt at ease immediately. Emma proceeded to show me around the shop, explaining how she likes things to be organised and displayed. She showed me around the back area, where to make tea and coffee, where to hang my coat, gave me a locker etc. She talks A LOT! Which is good as I'm quite a quiet person, so that suits me well! Then the other member of staff arrived, a guy called Mem (think it must be short for something?!). "Mem, this is Monica, it's her first day". Mem shook my hand and said hello and asked if it was my first time in a shop etc. Very friendly guy. I was nervous about meeting new people as Monica but in the event it was easy. And I'm sure it will get easier every time. Then the best bit, Emma gave me my shop voluenteer badge! I pinned it to my cardigan, just above my left breast. Now I really feel like an employee!

By this time the shop was open and already very busy with people browsing for bargains. And so many people coming in with donations! I've never seen anything like it. Emma asked me to walk the shop floor for a while, keeping the clothes racks tidy and helping customers where required. A guy came through the door with a big sack of clothes and siad he had more in the car. I offered to help so followed him outside to the car and carried some bags in.

The rest of my morning was spent going back and forth from the shop to the back area, sorting and pricing new donations and then putting them out on the shop floor. Emma explained that it's company policy not to put new helpers on the till for the first three months as there needs to be a base of trust. All the sales are cash and it would be very easy for someone less honest to steal with very little chance of getting caught. She went on to say that she was a very good judge of character and would train me on the till after a few weeks - that will be fun!

I was only supposed to work 9 till 1 and when 1pm came the afternoon helpers arrived. Alice, in her 70's, who introduced herself to me and proceeded to tell me all about her recent knee replacement! She then went to the loo, leaving the door wide open ha ha! Bless! And Raman, a young guy from Afghanistan. Tall, silent type. Mumbled a lot. As I had no plans for the rest of the day I stayed till 2.30pm, walking the floor and looking after customers. All in all a really good day. The shop quietened down and the four of us stood around the shop for a while with teas and coffees discussing what we would do with the money when we won the lottery (there was a £50 million robbery in London last week, the biggest in history).

I left at 2.30, saying goodbye to everyone. Emma expressed her thanks to me for coming and said she looked forward to seeing me next week. What a brilliant day! I had to pinch myself a few times. I've dreamt of getting to this stage in my life for so long and now I'm here, working as Monica, working as a woman. It's such good experience for the future. If Emma knew, she certainly didn't show it. If the others knew, they didn't show it either. Ultimately it doesn't matter if they know or not, they simply accepted me as female, end of story. Fantastic. The day was full of "Monica" or "she" or "her" - quite overwhelming for me. If any of you are contemplating voluenteer work in your female guise, I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I've broken new boundaries (for me, anyway!) made new friends and given something back to the community. Next Saturday cannot come quickly enough. the only problem is, what to wear next week.............

Love Monica x

Monica --
    You don't know how thrilled I was for you as I read your story. Congratulations on finding that job and on your acceptance as a woman there. Keep us up to date, please.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Way to Go Monica!

Your story was great, I was nervous right along with you at the start of it all! I'm so glad it turned out g reat for you!

Monica, this is marvellous and I wish you every success and hapiness in your job and with your new colleagues.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

What Me Worry
    Monica good for you. The day appeared to fly by and I am sure you had a marvelous time. What to wear the eternal question all girls have.

Congradulations!!!!!

What a wonderful first day. To be accepted,treated with respect, and dignity is all we have ever asked or dreamed for. And now you have realized our dreams.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

Congratulations girl!

That must have been a serious case of butterflies, but 3 cheers on landing the job and not just succeeding at the job but importantly being accepted as a woman.

Really really hope that it gets better everyday and you have an awesome time!
    As for wardrobe troubles though......you're on your own on that one

Hugz,
    Sonia

Brilliant, and all in a good cause

Ruth

Monica -

First ... congratulations!

Second ... thank you so much for sharing your story and feelings with us all. We're with you vicariouisly. You're experiences are a boon to us all. I wish you ALL the best. Thank you again.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Absolutely awesome! I love happy endings
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

that is just so fantastic! i'm so happy for you Monica!
    happy... and quite envious. you go girl!

-k-

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    Congratulations Monica! What a fabulous day! I wish you all the best girl!

Smile Thanks!

Hi Girls - thanks for all your kind words. I didn't realise it would be of so much interest to others! I'll keep you all updated as things progress and once I've been there a few weeks I'll take a photo or two and post them on the forum :cheeky:

Love Monica xx

Quote Originally Posted by RuthChambers
    Brilliant, and all in a good cause

Ruth
    I agree, but two its good causes the one above and the boosting of your confidence.

Well Done Monica
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Way to go

You make us all very proud. We will want to hear all about it in the future.

congratuletions dear, on your job well done. You have all week dear to think what to wear for this saturday. Keep us infromed each week how it's going hun.
    Love as always Jasminexxxxxxxx

Very cool! I'm glad it's working out so well for you. So....onward and forward, eh? Congratulations.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Monica,

Oh you sweet adventurous girl!! I just loved your story so far and you have piqued my curiosity. I think that is a great idea. Volunteering might make some more tolerant of "different" people. I am going to investigate that.

Keep us informed girl.. I for one can't wait until next Monday when I read your next installment!!

Hugs, Paige

Smile

Hi Monica,

Well done. I'm glad your day went so well. It sounds like you had a really positive experience.

Good luck for next week.

Mark.

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    Monica, awesome, way to go gurl. You give us all something to aspire to.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Congrats Monica,

Sounds like things should work out pretty well.

Did you find any good bargains for yourself?

Rachel Jean

It's only a mile or so from my home and it was a really sunny, but really cold winter morning. So I decided to walk.

I thought we only used "miles" in the states, hmmm? makes me wonder

Nope Tgirg74, we got "miles" in the UK too, in fact we've had them since the Romans gave them to us in biblical times, then we gave them to you about 500 years ago. So you've got a bit of catcing up to do, about 15 centuries worth!

There is a conspiracy to take them away from us (along with pints, gallons, pounds, Farenheit etc.), and get us to use those much more user friendly and co-ordinated "Metric" measures. Strictly speaking, they're SI units, but no one here will know what I'm talking about if I call them SI. You'll be using them too, in about a million years time, when you eventually realise that there is a parallel world outside the borders of the USA (Canadians already know that, they got kilometers before us) and that they have all agreed on the benefits of SI, and have been using them for all that time.

To stop being catty for a minute, it won't seem the same to be talking of 100, 125 and 150 heel heights, 750 waist sizes, or 450 miniskirt lengths will it, so maybe you have the right idea anyway! Time will tell.

Tony

thats right !!

wow I had major brain freeze! I totally forgot we have the english system left over from before big bad George Washington and the boys beat some MAJOR british ass back in 1776 ! wearing RED coats was a bright idea !!