Thread: one hell of a friday

one hell of a friday

Wow.

Today the following things happened:

Got a call from my boss - the head honcho in charge of the great lakes approved my 1 - request to transition, 2 - request to transfer, and 3 - medical treatment plan - all of those documents are now officially headed to CGHQ in washington DC. Also, they have identified someone to come relieve me off the boat in mid October, at which point I can be as out and free as I wish with no further operational entanglements.

Got a call from the lawyer/policy guy at the head office in Cleveland - my request for FFS is likely to be approved for November!!!! I still have to scrounge up the money, but is sounds like the CG is going to let me do it.

Got another memo back from Washington DC - basically, the conference I'm attending next week to discuss diversity in the CG will be in civilian attire, and I can present authentically while participating in an official Coast Guard capacity for the first time.

FINALLY - got an email today from my lawyer. My petition for name change has been filed and processed, and my hearing scheduled for October 4th. I can make that date.

For a while there I thought I was stalled out... only to take off like a rocket all in one day!!!

I am scared, happy, excited, and in a state of disbelief all at once... so I'm having a nice drink with my wife, then I'm gonna put a few hours in on the lifeline.

Whiew!!!

Makes my day sound boring somewhat but very very happy for you and dam nice to see the CG take to the newish orders and do the right thing already. I filed my petition for my name change within 30 days I will no longer be Steven Paul but Rylie Paula so very happy no hearings needed gogo massachusetts.
    Last edited by RylieM; 09-17-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Way to go Coast Guard! And congratulations Jane! That was one big log jam you had that let go today. Good luck moving forward.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

WOW Jane!!!... What a day indeed!!! I'm so happy for you!!!... Full Speed Ahead!!!! :-D
    Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been?... Little pieces blowing gently on the wind... 11:11

Congratulations. A few major steps out of the way and more to come. Enjoy the journey.

The Mad Scientist
    So happy for you Jane.

Everyone is free to do what they can and want - in any order.
    Kris

YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great day Jane!!!!!!!! So happy for you - who would have thought all at once? From waiting for months to everything coming together in one day !!! I am so happy for you !!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    image.jpeg
    Just an average day. NOT A CHANCE... MONUMENTAL, Colossal, AWSOME!
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

congrats on all of Friday's news.
    Had opportunity to attend transparent season 3 prerelease event in DC. At event, had opportunity to talk to Sec of army about promotionl opportunity for officers who now are free to come out as trans. Be happy to talk to you about the discussion...an army perspective but we were thinking along same lines. Am leaving today for. Few weeks vacation in Europe, be happy to talk when I get back in Oct if you would like to.

thanks everyone! Jen your pic there is just about right...

Thanks Diane! i forgot to mention that Thursday i found out i was selected for promotion to O4 too... like i said one hell of a week!

the next big thing I'm waiting on is some clue where they are going to transfer me when i come off the boat - but one step at a time

cheers!!!!

So happy for you! You are going to help so many women with your experience. Pay it forward!
    Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

Gold Member
    An awesome red letter day! May the snowball start rolling down the hill.

Big congrats, Jane.

I hope all goes well with your transfer. Just a small question for you though. Where are you hoping to transfer? What would you like to be doing after you transfer? Just curious, because the possibilities are there.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Emma,

I've requested Washington DC and I'd love to help create and implement the new transgender policies in the CG, or at least be around to answer questions or provide insight for the folks making the policies. Otherwise, my shoreside background is in IT management, and there is always a need for those people at HQ.

One of the big drivers is currently the military can only provide heathcare via military treatment facilities (TRICARE won't cover anything trans yet) - the coast guard only has a few places large enough to have MTFs, and DC is one, so I think the odds are good.

Hope you get WASH DC area. Would love to meet and chat. Where would your treatment be, Bethesda Navel Medical/Walter Reed, can't remember what the new combined re-naming is.

Jane...congratulations on all the wonderful news in your life! And your notes put everything into perspective. You mentioned promotion to 0-4 secondarily (or should I say tertiary or beyond) to all else. It reminds us all of just how important and necessary it is to be one's true self...Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

See, dreams do come true!!!!!!

Mollyanne
    "To thine own self be true"

Way to go!! I know its alot but as Melissa has said...Transition is one hell of thing!
    I am real

Jane, very happy to hear that things are working out well for you.

wow Jane way to go so glad for you I also hope u get close to dc I'm just down in va beach love cindy

Wow! You certainly had a big day. And it all happened in time for the weekend. Congratulations!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Jane, that sounds cool and I seriously hope for the best for you with your transfer.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Congratulations from across the Big Pond! ,
    i'm so glad we dont need to go through so much offical Hoops to be who we really are .