Thread: The world didn't end

The world didn't end

I don't post here very much, but I've done a lot of lurking on this forum for a very long time as I have been coming to terms with who I am. I learned quite a bit from many smart ladies here over the years. The most important thing I learned was the need to be real with myself, to separate fact from fiction and personal truth from fantasy, and to get to a place of absolute self-acceptance first and foremost. My transition has really been moving along at a glacial pace because the self-acceptance hadn't been coming very easily to me at all, and I was petrified (convinced) that I was opening myself to endless criticism and rejection should I ever reveal my truth to those I love.

After about four years of therapy and a year on HRT (and feeling so, so much better for having started both), and getting gendered female in public on an increasingly consistent basis without even really putting a whole lot of effort into my appearance, I figured it was time to blow my cover and hope for the best. Over the course of this past week, I have come out to both my sisters and their husbands, my sister-in-law, and my two best friends. I am overwhelmed by their unconditional love and acceptance, and how they have embraced me. The first sister to whom I came out even said, "I have a baby sister now!" I spent that entire afternoon, during and after that conversation, grinning like an idiot and crying. Everybody I've told thus far has been pretty much like, "Okay. But you know we love you for YOU, not your gender, right? This really isn't that big a deal." It's really turned my worldview and self view on its ear. I had been so afraid for so long, and now I know how loved and supported I am. I struggled with feelings of horrible despair and thought about suicide so much over the years, and the small hope that I could experience this someday is why I never gave in.

Today, I'm sending an e-mail to my nieces and nephews, and I expect that will also go well because they're great people. In the upcoming weeks, I still have to come out to my parents, mother- and father-in law, my wife's aunt and uncle, and my job. There will be some trepidation and I'm sure some upset along the rest of the way, but I know it's all going to turn out okay. I'm not only not ashamed of myself, but I am looking forward to sharing the real me with the world. My coming out process has been liberating, cathartic, and satisfying; I've slayed so many demons to get here. I'm so happy I have an awesome wife who is my rock and family and friends who love me, and I'm happy I took the advice given to me here (albeit indirectly) to heart. I believe all the hard inner work I've done really was obvious to everybody I've shared with, and I think it helped them realize that this is a very, very good thing for me. I'm strong and beautiful, and I never thought I'd feel this way about myself. For anybody reading who is living with the same fears I lived with, maybe my experience can be a little proof that a good outcome is possible.

Tomorrow is my 46th birthday. It's going to be my very best one yet even though it's on a Monday.

Lauren that was a beautiful story. I am so happy for you and that you summoned the courage. Spending a lifetime hiding is no way to live. I spent most of mine hiding, I am just glad that I did not spend ALL of it hiding. Congratulations !!!!! I wish you much happiness and I hope your story is inspiring to others.

Wow! Awesome! Congratulations and happy birthday Coming out is a dangerous time but it sounds like you've weathered it well. I hope it all goes well with the parents and in-laws. If everyone else is for you it's hard to imagine they'll be against you. Best of luck.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Hi Lauren,

Congratulations on having such a lovely family (including the in-laws) and such good friends.

Whilst I understand you saying that you feel ashamed of yourself, I do hope that won't last long. We each transition at the rate dictated by a combination of our needs and circumstances. You needed to take things slowly. Who knows whether that may even have contributed to the positive reception that your family and friends gave to you?

Also well done you for having the courage to blow your cover - it isn't easy as I know from my own experience.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

And it wont end!!! HAppy Birthday!!
    I am real

Happy Birthday, Lauren. You're giving a great gift by sharing your truth with the ones you love.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post

Whilst I understand you saying that you feel ashamed of yourself, I do hope that won't last long.
    Maybe I didn't articulate myself well, but I don't feel ashamed of myself anymore. For a long time, yes, very much, but not now. I'm very at peace with who I am.

Thank you and everybody for the warm wishes I'm a lucky lady!

...brava!
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Its great to hear some good news and happy birthday too....

Congrats and happy birthday!! Lauren,I am glad everything worked out so well for you! Best wishes going forward. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Thanks, everyone! I came out to my boss and HR a few weeks ago, and I still have my job I'll be letting my immediate colleagues know on Thursday and the rest of those at work who need to know next week. Today, I got my name change order signed off and changed my name and gender marker with social security. Things are rolling along, and the world still hasn't ended. This isn't to say that there haven't been bummers to deal with, too, because there are (and some pretty huge ones). But it feels good to be me in the world finally.

I'm going through the same thing at the moment and I wish you the best. Some of my work colleagues have been far from understanding and my ears are BURNING but the office staff have all been very good and helpful. I told them about my name change just last week and they said "Ah, pretty. Leave it with us and we will sort it all out".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Congratulations on how you have progressed. Happy Birthday...A Monday birthday sounds like the perfect reason to make it a three day weekend and party like it was 1969 again (some of us remember '69). You go girl!

Hugs

Barbaara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.