Thread: "Welcome to _____. May I take your order?"

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar

"Welcome to _____. May I take your order?"

I suppose it's oftentimes the next logical step of progression in a girl's early days of being out in public. Somewhere between stopping at a gas station & nervously filling her tank for the first time, and, well, whatever else she may do after gaining that much more courage.

Recently I was thinking about my 1st-ever drive-thru experience while all dolled-up. It was years ago, back when I was in my early 20's, as it was around the time I got my first nice wig & was feeling tons of confidence because of that.

I had already done a *lot* of after-sunset driving around while en femme by that point. But let's face it: That can get old & boring real quick.

I needed more. I needed to take it to the next level. I needed personal (but limited) interaction with a total stranger.

One evening after driving around for a while, getting intentionally lost both out on the roads & in my head (which was typical, ha!), I realized I was pretty thirsty. Also was getting a bit tired, too, and I needed a pick-me-up. A caffeinated soda would certainly hit the spot!

A bit down the road, I saw a popular fast-food restaurant -- complete with a drive-thru. Perfect!

I first pulled into a parking spot, though, to brush my hair & check my make-up. I really did want to look as best as possible. Not only that, but I also wanted to *sound* as best as possible, too. So I practiced my female voice a bit as I fussed about in the mirror. It wasn't all that bad of a voice, as I could get a pretty natural pitch & sing-songiness & what-not. Besides, not exactly the first time I've ever experimented with it, LOL. But it was time to finally put it -- and myself -- to the test.

After practicing a bit, satisfied with both voice & appearance, I worked up my nerves & pulled into the drive-thru.

"Welcome to _____. May I take your order?" came over the intercom.

Yikes! What the heck am I doing? Am I nuts?? I can't go through with this. This is crazy! Who actually does this sort of thing? Shouldn't I be out on a date or something? Isn't that what normal guys do??

I saw a car begin to pull up behind me. Too late. Oh, well.

"I'd like a small Coke, please."

Not bad. A bit quiet, but not bad. Sounded pretty legit. Besides, *Diet* Coke is just nasty, IMO, ha!

"Sorry, I didn't hear you. Could you repeat that?"

Really? Come on! As if once wasn't difficult enough? Now I had to say it *again*?? Sigh.

"I'd like a small Coke, please," a bit louder.

Finally, success!

No, that's all, thanks. Your total is $X. Please drive up. Blah blah blah.

Now it's *really* show-time!

A fairly attractive woman maybe around 40 years old slid open the drive-thru window. *Phew*... Thank God!

If it had been some obnoxious & immature guy around my age or something, I probably would have freaked out.

She did her automatic "That will be $X" thing without really paying attention too much at first, instead looking at her register.

Then her eyes moved to me. She looked a bit quizzical for a moment, quickly studying me as if she was genuinely trying to figure something out. And then I saw it: Her eyes suddenly lit up & she flashed an awesome smile. She knew -- and I knew she knew.

Without uttering a single word, she told me: "Wow, you look pretty convincing! You did a fantastic job with everything. Very impressive!"

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

And yes, it was the real-deal, definitely just not in my head, as I've always been pretty decent with this whole reading-facial-expressions kind of stuff. Women can say a whole lot without a single peep.

She took my cash, and gave me my change. And as she handed me my soda, and wished me a nice evening, she had a new & somewhat different smile this time. Very warm & accepting & approving, which said, "Again, awesome job, hon!"

Honestly, it couldn't have gone any better, considering. Our little interaction was a match made in CD Heaven. And she made it so incredible for me.

My first time being with someone in-person, all dolled-up. She really made my night, and gave me a lot of confidence to build upon for the future.

Yes, I was "read." But to be fair, GG's can pick up on certain tiny things, even if just sensing them, much better than your average guy can. But it was *how* she read me & her reaction to it, which was absolutely perfect. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Anyway, if you're still with me, thanks for reading my little story. I had never shared it with anyone before, and figured this was a great place to do so.

If you've got a drive-thru story, whether positive or negative, please feel free to share in this thread. I think it would be kind of fun for everyone!

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your great post

I remember when I first started going out in public how, when it came time I needed to speak, I'd try to use a female voice. The thing is, its something I never practiced, so I would just do a high pitched voice that honestly sounded pathetic and cartoonish.

After a while I just said screw it and started using my male voice. I mean its not like I am passing anyway so who am I trying to fool using a fake female voice?

This was a great idea. Not only did I start to have a lot of meaningful conversations with people dressed en femme, some would even tell me my voice sounds great regardless and was a gender neutral voice. I don't have a deep voice, so apparently there are people who think my voice could pass for a woman's.

What a fun story. Thanks for sharing it.

If I ever figure out the make-up thing and get my voice just right, the first place I am heading for is a fast-food drive thru. Unfortunately, I will probably die of dehydration before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    I remember when I first started going out in public how, when it came time I needed to speak, I'd try to use a female voice. The thing is, its something I never practiced, so I would just do a high pitched voice that honestly sounded pathetic and cartoonish.

It's not easy, and takes a LOT of consistent work, but it can be done. Plenty of YouTube videos & what-not on how to go about doing it properly. (And yes, some of these girls have some pretty deep male voices, which is really surprising & wild when they switch back & forth.)

I'm by no means an expert, and probably never will be, but I can get away with it in limited doses, especially when I practice for a while.

Growing up, I used to do all kinds of different voices, just goofing around. I think that helped me a lot, as what I was doing was already partially what some of the real-world experts teach.

What I believe also helps is not being tone-deaf, LOL. Or at least those who aren't, might have an edge, I suppose.

Anyway, glad to hear you found something that works for you!

Banned Read only
    Nice story. First, I'm sure those working the drive through windows of restaurants and coffee dispensers have seen it all, including men dressed as women. I suspect her assessment of you was truthful and sincere. An older woman has experienced a lot in forty years. She has probably has had kids to raise, and, a husband or two. Having gone through life with a young woman who is now a senior, well, life can be very interesting and adventurous. There have been posts of drive through experiences where the reaction has been giggles and immature behavior by young girls and boys.

With Halloween coming up going through a drive through window or just buying some party snacks or beverages (not alcohol) in a store can be a worthwhile experience. I used Halloween in my younger years to test the waters at a Winchell's Donut shop and Safeway stores. It's a good way to discover whether or not you have been missing anything.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Great story. Building up to my first outing, don't know if it will involve any interaction but I'll see how brave I'm feeling on the day.

Aspiring Member
    Love this story Laura, thanks for sharing it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    With Halloween coming up going through a drive through window or just buying some party snacks or beverages (not alcohol) in a store can be a worthwhile experience. I used Halloween in my younger years to test the waters at a Winchell's Donut shop and Safeway stores. It's a good way to discover whether or not you have been missing anything.
    You know, I had never really thought of the idea of getting all dolled-up around Halloween -- perhaps in some sort of outlandish women's costume? -- and strutting one's stuff around with a shopping cart at the supermarket for like an hour, doing all your grocery shopping like that during the busiest part of the day.

Of course, you'd just *have* to skip the self-checkout on this one & head straight to a cashier!

Thanks for the stories, everyone.

I have gone through many drive throughs, and once upon a time, that was the edgiest outing I could muster. Now it is old hat, and I try to be friendly and a good ambassador. Usually, it is just a pleasant transaction with smiles all around. Last year, I used the drive through at popular restaurant in a town of about 30,000 in a rural state--dressed in long skirt, moderate heels, conservative blouse, long hair, and makeup. They were a bit younger than average and obviously whispered about me and had others come to the window to give parts of the meal and have a look. I was friendly and not too annoyed at their subtle snickering, until I pulled away and realized they forgot part of my meal. The drive through line was long, so I did what any woman with the time to spare would do: I parked and went inside to ask for the missing food. I sensed that their respect went way up with my show of courage, but maybe they were just embarrassed for themselves. It was interesting, a good learning experience, and made me feel good about my polite request for follow-through.

What a great story! Realy great experience. I realy envy you for trying in first place you are so lucky to met such understanding woman. Keep it up! Wish I can blend in too.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar

Stand-Up Comedy En Femme

I just went to a whole new level tonight!
    I'll be posting all about it next week with pictures (have to wait seven days from last picture posting).

Everytime I've been out in public fully en femme I've never interacted with anyone, due to my voice, just nods, smiles, and mouthing, "thank you".

Earlier this evening I drove to the Tacoma Comedy Club all dolled up, red dress and 4.5 inch heels (15 minute drive). Had to get carded upon entry (I already knew this).
    I emailed them my en femme plan last month when I reserved a spot.

Then I sat near the stage as I was the 4th person up for my three minutes of en femme stand-up (non first-timers get four or five minutes).
    I just used my normal voice all night.
    I'm just still so excited that I had to share a little bit before next week, and this thread seemed perfect to just mention it.

(Admin: If this interferes with my posting about it next week then just delete this reply if necessary)

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".