Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dresses vs Skirts

Neither, I don't see the appeal...At least not yet.

I'm more of a jeans shirt guy. I may try a skirt/dress in a couple years though if pink fog consumes me.

I feel like if I don't do makeup/wig I wont ever do dresses/skirts/lacy shirts/panty hose/shoes. I'm missing out, but I'm conditioned to believe that I shouldn't go further, so I don't go further.

Banned Read only
    Red, you're going to have turn in your club card

I can't decide! It's a girl's prerogative!

Dresses definitely more feminine & girly. However, around here one rarely sees a woman in a dress. Plain is fashion around here. Even skirts are few and far between, so, while I love dresses, when I go out it's mostly unfortunately, capris or a skirt. I agree skirts do afford more combinations. With either, I love to wear hose, even though it continues to be out of style. I'm curious...how many of us also wear hose when you go out.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Dresses definitely more feminine & girly. However, around here one rarely sees a woman in a dress. Plain is fashion around here. Even skirts are few and far between, so, while I love dresses, when I go out it's mostly unfortunately, capris or a skirt. I agree skirts do afford more combinations. With either, I love to wear hose, even though it continues to be out of style. I'm curious...how many of us also wear hose when you go out.

Aspiring Member
    Wow I can't even decide. I mean I love skirts because as you mentioned they can be very versatile and create many different outfits. However, I also love a nice mini-dress or even when I'm in the right mood a long formal dress. The good news is we don't have to decide We can just wear both.

NancySue, to your question, I ALWAYS wear hose or stockings with skirts and dresses. My legs are my best asset and they always look best encased in a nice pair of high quality stockings or pantyhose.

Personally, I like dresses in the spring and summer, but in fall and winter, I really love a wool skirt with a sweater, which also hides a lot of anomalies

Skirts certainly have their "plus" points as others here have already stated - more versatility, more options to mix and match, tons of variation in style, length, fit, fabric etc., and are generally easier to get into and out of - especially if one is planning a full day of shopping en femme and trying out various selections of clothing before buying.

That said, you just can't beat a dress for that full-on feminine feeling, especially when wearing a form-fitting dress that hugs the curves (real or "enhanced" ) all over one's body. With dresses, there's always the on-going conundrum of side-zip vs. back zip, and which one do we prefer over the other? Certainly back zips can be challenging in their own right - especially for those among us who have developed mobility problems with age - so needing to call upon someone else to help zip us up, be it a wife, an SO, or a helpful SA can be an especially "girly" experience.

I would also add that for those among us who are - ahem! - in the plus size category, dresses can be especially flattering because of the sleek silhouette they typically provide, and that goes particularly for beltless shift or scuba dresses. There are also may visual tricks that designers can fall back on with dresses to camouflage unsightly bulges that the wearer may have and wishes to minimize, and ruching immediately springs to mind here. Conversely, fit-and-flare or peplum dresses can be very effective in emulating an hour glass figure, even when there is nothing there in principle.

On a more personal note, wearing a dress when out in public en femme triggers in me an unconscious feeling of being "all in", i.e., there is no turning back now. I really become that proverbial "man in a dress" that we so do not want to be taken for, and which provides an added incentive for us to go all out to at least try to blend in if not downright "pass". This is the (often unattainable) Holy Grail for most of us crossdressers who venture out in public, and adds that extra adrenalin rush to the already pleasurable act of everyday crossdressing.

Another vote for dresses. I think if I had natural curves I might be more inclined to skirts.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Certainly back zips can be challenging in their own right - especially for those among us who have developed mobility problems with age - so needing to call upon someone else to help zip us up, be it a wife, an SO, or a helpful SA can be an especially "girly" experience.

If no one is around to help, a thick metal paperclip tied to a shoelace can easily solve that issue.

(Just be mindful you don't accidentally make a hole/tear in the dress! )

Wow, what a great thread! Thanks for asking Jennifer!
    How can you pick one over the other?
    I love to wear a nice dress, for comfort and looks you can't beat it, but then I love to wear a skirt with a sheer blouse, pure bliss!
    They are both great wear, too hard to choose, but it's fun trying them on to find that right look

I prefer dresses, they seem to be more forgiving of my shape and the materials just seem to flow no matter the color or pattern. Plus I am old school on wearing a full slip. I know you can with a skirt and blouse but they just aren't as needed and 1/2 slips aren't as sexy. In my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I quite like skirts but have 2 to 3 times more dresses. I find the fit of a dress to be a lot more flexible and don't mind that it is a bit looser on the bottom half. I have some skirts that are a bit bit loose and they just want to slip down and keep going until they hit the floor. While I'm sure that could be useful at times (LOL) mostly it is just not viable to wear them!

Hmmm....

I love skirts because as Jennifer noted, you can pair them with different tops and get more combinations. I don't like skirts because there are some many combinations to choose from and I haven't built enough wardrobe and style skills yet and I usually end up drowning in the sea of choices. Fortunately, I have run a cross very helpful sales associates so far who have been teaching me how to navigate this uncharted territory.

But, there is just something special about a dress. I don't know what it is, as somebody else said, maybe it is because we have absolutely nothing comparable in the male wardrobe.

Right now my closet is about evenly split. I have two dresses, two skirts and three tops.
    The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. It is twice as large as it needs to be.

If we talk about some everyday casual outfit then i prefer skirt. Fot like freetime event or something like that may simple short dress can be more comfi. Of course completly different category are evening dresses and ball gowns. Getting one is my dream atm.

I am a skirt girl, I get up in the morning and slip on a jean skirt tank top. I put on a little eye brow pencil and lip stick, ear rings and one of my wigs. If I don't my wife would not know who I was. I do have 2 very nice dress's that I will wear if we got out to a dinner were every one is dressing up. Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    This battle rages for most cross dresser, I suppose, but I realized today as I was getting dressed to go out that if I were not a cross dresser, I am pretty sure I'd prefer skirts to dresses. Simply changing tops and shoes make for totally different outfits. Three skirts and 5 tops would go a long way to making a full wardrobe. Add a sweater or two and belts and BOOM unlimited choices....

Sure works for my wife. But, alas, I am across dresser and I think dresses will always win but it's nice to have options;-) How about you?
    While there is no denying the versatility of mix and matching various skirts and tops to boost your feminine wardrobe as described by Jen above. There is just something special about finding a dress that fits just right that maked me feel oh so feminine.

Reality Check
    Most of my female clothing is blouses and skirts (and jeans and tights). I have just a few dresses. As you mentioned, blouses and skirts allow a lot more flexibility but my main reason is, it's easier to find blouses and skirts that fit than a dress. Sure the dress might "fit" but the waist is often in the wrong place or the dress is too short even for 5' 9" Krisi.

The problem then becomes matching a blouse and skirt into an outfit. Which goes with which? Dresses don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurana View Post
    5 skirts plus 5 tops equals 30(?) combinations.

3 + 2 = 6
    All my dreams pass before my eyes with curiosity

i tend to go with Dresses , although you will find a seperate skirt and top appear to fit better , this is due to the slighly different places a female waist lies , compared to a male
    theirs about a 2" difference generaly , so if the dress is a close fit , it tends for the waist to sit higher , and subsequently lift the hem , so sometimes having a dress the next size up sometimes looks better
    same for sleeve length too , in general theirs a 2" difference .

the only thing i hate about dresses is zipping it up , you need to be able to reach places , arms are just not meant to reach at times
    so i use a paperclip on the end of a peice of string , easily clipped on and off through the zipper , and the extra length of the string makes it easier to pull

I like dresses but with my tall frame it's easier to get a good fit with skirts. :-)

I love dresses, but I'm never happy with the way they look on me. Skirts and blouses seem to suit me better. I have a lot of blouses that are bright colors and patterns. And while I have a number of skirts, I have two (black and jean-skirt) that seem to be my "go to" as they go with any top I want to wear.
    Stephanie

I always preferred skirt/top combos to dresses, for two reasons. First, there's the fit problem. With a dress, both the top parts and the bottom parts have to fit just right, and my body didn't always conform to what the dress designer might have expected. I'm sure some GGs have that problem too. It's not just the proportions of shoulders and boobs and waist and hips, it's also the location of the waist. Also, since my preferences (or should I say fetishes) led me to be a top-heavy girl, dresses often didn't hang properly on me, and the hem would tend to be too high in the front because of my boobage. The second factor that led me away from dresses was a positive thing: the mix-and-match possibilities with skirts (or pants) and tops.

I like dresses. I have dresses. But separates fit better.

I love skirts and usually prefer them over dresses (which sometimes feel like extra long shirts) but with most all of my blouses being very silky materials and most all of my skirts lined in nylon or poly satin I find I spend most of the day tucking and re-tucking and tucking and re-tucking my blouse because the frictionless material won't stay put. Dresses are far easier but I still prefer blouses and skirts.

Banned Read only
    Jennifer,
    Going back to the days when you had to undress in a panic, skirts and tops were easier to remove than the possibility of a jammed zip and no way to remove a dress, now I'm about 50-50. Skirts and tops/blouses have the flexibility as you say and on the whole they are warmer when the weather turns, but there's something more feminine in wearing a floaty dress or an evening dress, I guess we are lucky to have that choice .