Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New home conundrum.

New home conundrum.

We've just moved into a new place and one of the large windows isn't well suited for drapes. It's not open to the street but it does overlook our neighbor's back porch. It's also situated such that going from one part of the house to another I would have to pass within view of it so I would have to confine myself to a single room when dressed. The practical side of me knows that during the day, from the outside looking in, the glare is probably such that you can't see much of the interior, but the unreasonable part of me is worried that through some fluke maybe at the moment I walk by it they can see in. If it was just me to consider, I don't think I would care if they saw, but I'm pretty sure it would bother my fiancee.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Congrats on the new home!

And, um, self-imprisonment in a single room??

No.

Either face your fears, or get some sort of covering for the window (improvise if you need to).

And the latter would probably make your SO feel that much better about it all.

I don't really have any fear over being seen. The only concern is that my fiancee would be uncomfortable if I was seen. As far as improvisation goes, I suppose I could hang a very large bedsheet over the window while I'm dressed, would have to break out a ladder to do so though...

Also, Thanks! It's a great house otherwise.

Just for the sheer sake of privacy and security of your home, there should be some kind of covering over that window even temporary until you can get some kind of curtain thing worked out!! Best wishes going forward!! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Custom blinds, custom drapes, foil, SOMEthing. You shouldn't fear for privacy in your own home. Or you can say hell with it and your neighbor can deal with seeing you all prettied up. That's what he gets for looking into your windows anyway.

Julie, for windows that are very large and don't work for drapes you can add vertical blinds and they work quite well. It would be a hard thing to not be able to walk through your own house.
    Part Time Girl

Whenever I'm stuck on something with house junk, I go up to houzz.com and do a picture search.. somebody always has a perfect design idea for whatever is causing you grief.
    Yeah, creatively work the solution... You don't want to be jailed to parts of your home.
    I know, my house is practically a stage at night for my sleepy neighborhood road. Without my blinds being down, I'd be the talk of the cul-de-sac!!

Platinum Member
    Hi Julie, The vertical blonds that open with a chain will be perfect......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The only problem with vertical blinds they would distract from the amazing view out that window. I know I know... too picky. :P

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think the thrill of being seen is in play here because you are making up excuses not to cover the window.
    You can open vertical blinds.

A simple sheer panel will be totally opaque from the outside in daylight and still let you see unobstructed. If you split it in the middle you can swag it back when you want an unimpeded view. Putting up a bedsheet will be pretty obvious from the outside. Much more obvious than you waking around.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Hi Julie

You could try a Roman blind. Up when you want the view and down when you want privacy.

M x

Oh! Just thought of an idea. What are those fold-able screens that stand on their own called? Women are always changing behind them in movies and TV shows.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Google dressing screens. I just sold a really nice oriental screen that would have worked in your situation.
    My Grandmother had a huge upstairs window in her house that was probably 7 feet tall and she had my Grandfather build a set of folding shutters for the inside of the window.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-23-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Dana gave the perfect answer.

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Thanks Tracii!

Thanks to everyone else as well for spit balling ideas.

Edit: It really is a great view out the window. Vertical blinds, even when open, would really detract from it and block off a decent amount of the window as well. I didn't want something permanent in the window distracting from the view. The dressing screen will work fantastic I think. Can easily put it up when I'm going to dress and take it down and store it in the basement when I'm not.
    Last edited by Julie1123; 09-23-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Go outside and try looking in that window. Anytime the sun is not shining in, it will be darker inside than outside, which means it will be difficult to see what's going on inside. Of course you need some permanent way to create privacy, but for now, just go outside and evaluate the situation. I think you'll find that on sunny days, you'll have reasonable privacy unless somebody walks directly to the window.

Personally, I would figure out some sort of curtain or blind. I want privacy in my own home for "normal" reasons and have drapes, shears, or blinds over every window of the home. most are left open, but if we are using the room in the evening where it would be easy for a passerby to look in we cover the window.

I find it hard to believe with all the options available for window coverings that you could not find an acceptable solution.

Gold Member
    I was a Carpenter Home Builder for many years.
    In some of the Subdivisions, new homes did not get drapes for some months.
    With the cost rather high, and just moving in, money was tight for many new homeowners.
    What I have seen, and seen very often, was they would paste the Sunday Comics
    to the inside of the windows. With the colored ink, it hides almost everything.
    If you would rather not paste news papers to your windows, keep the room
    dimly lit in the day time, and dark at night.
    You might also think of using a privacy screen up near the window; at least
    no one will see you with that in the window.
    Rader

The practical side of me knows that during the day, from the outside looking in, the glare is probably such that you can't see much of the interior, but the unreasonable part of me is worried that through some fluke maybe at the moment I walk by it they can see in. If it was just me to consider, I don't think I would care if they saw, but I'm pretty sure it would bother my fiancee.

The practical side of you is absolutely correct

The darker side of the window is the side that can 'see' through the window.
    I put up vertical blinds, I love them, the wife loves them, and I can see while not being seen.
    Have yourself a wonderful day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

you could also use the spray on tint or film . that they use on cars and such , the last house i had i did all the lower windows , ok it's permanant but lets you see out unrestricted
    but no one can see in , although some tints can reverse in darkness . looks fab too, without drapes .

depends if it can be seen looking inwards from a high angle , but a stratigicly placed ornate panel could do to

Banned Read only
    You definitely need custom blinds. It's not just for your cross dressing privacy. Talk to your fiancee. What if she wants to walk around the house in a bra and panty? Or less?

Reflective mirror film? Perfectly reasonable to add to a home for energy savings, as well as privacy. Just remember that the one way mirror effect does not work at night, if it is much more wel lit inside than outside.

Explain to your fiancée that you do not want to be confined to one room when you dress, and you do not want the neighbors to see you as you pass in front of the window. And so you would like to find creative and stylish solutions for a window covering.

Is it a very tall one storey window or a floor to ceiling window in a two story open area in your home? You can hang a rod at the very top (whether the top of the window is arched or square) with floor to ceiling white sheers along each side, attached with rings that will glide easily across the rod. Use clear pull rods along the center side of each panel that reach down to the top of your reach. The sheers will enable the light to shine through during the day but will obscure the interior from the outside. And at night, anyone who is outside will only see your shadow as you walk in front of it, they won't be able to make out any details.

[Edit]
    Here's the idea:
    http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/fc21197904...iving-room.jpg
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-25-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    Reine

How about a sign that says "Why are you looking in my house?"
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,