Thread: The best Aunt ever.

The best Aunt ever.

I had a real interesting and tiring day yesterday. So, I thought I would share it.

A couple of weeks ago, my youngest Nephew came to me and asked if I would drive him up to Memphis so he could meet up with a friend he's had about three years and have dinner at Five Guys Burgers.

I asked him when and how. He said Monday the 10th or Tuesday the 11th. As for how, he looked very hopeful with that look that any Aunt would have a very hard time resisting. He said, "On your motorcycle?"

I looked at him sideways and asked, "Are you sure about that?" he nodded and said he was. I asked because I had very recently taken a ride on my bike by myself to New Orleans, which is the same distance from us as Memphis. We're talking about a three hour drive directly with no stops.

On top of that I made an announcement recently to my Family that I am no longer their Uncle, but their Aunt. Huge step I know.

However, I told them that I needed to make this step on my terms and let them know what they were. I need some time to get used to this as well as they needed time to get used to this as well because I'm not the only one making a transition. All those around me make a transition also. It's a lot different than the one I'm going through, but a transition none the less.

I told them for now that it's just among the Family here at home. They agreed and have been doing fine. My Niece needs a little prompting, but for the most part it's been going well.

I thought about this trip to Memphis with my Nephew and I asked him for a favor. I asked him if he wouldn't mind breaking my little rule and when we got there, to introduce me as his Aunt if he felt alright with it.

Well, all the way up there I went about all of my business as normal. I was a little nervous going into the Ladies room a few times. But I owned it and never let it show. Not one person looked at me twice. And I'm talking about all the Restrooms at the gas stations and the rest area stops.

We get there and he introduces me as his Aunt and we had a great time. I was, of course, the only girl there. I was also the oldest one there too. But, we all got to talking about D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) and I fit right in with these kids. I was a lot more old school D&D, but they could relate to what I talked about.

My Nephew and I got home very late last night.

I went to work today and when my Nephew got there, because he works at the same store I do, he told me that I have officially been labeled the most awesome Aunt in the Galaxy, with a tiny little sadistic streak, by his friend because I ride a Motorcycle and I play D&D.

He said I had a sleight sadistic streak because of my Nephews saddle sores from riding on the back of my bike. Well, in my defense my Nephew asked for that. But that's none of my business.

I will proudly take those complements with dignity and grace.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Great story. May everything continue to go well!
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

Glad you both made progress, Emma! It was a great last couple of days in the mid south for a bike ride, though a tad warm and windy. Sounds like you got a strong ally in your nephew.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Heidi, he sure is.

I can also thank his girlfriend for a lot of that also.

At first he was having a hard time trying to understand. But, his girlfriend lives in Las Vegas and she has a lot of LGBTQ friends and acquaintances. She helped him to understand it as only someone that is not dealing with Gender Dysphoria can.

Plus, spending some time with him and bonding over some of his games has had an impact.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.