Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this is the outfit I wore to the mall

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar

this is the outfit I wore to the mall

20161007_151607.jpg
    this is one of my favorite skirts and I just love these boots.

Those are great boots!

Baby, these boots are made for walking...

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Very hot Majella!
    Love the miniskirt!
    Boots are killer!
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Giddy up giddy up rawhide. Yeah Majelle. Great outfit.
    Part Time Girl

Looking good. Like the boots. Good pic. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I think it's awesome that you felt at ease at the mall but if I recall correct, I was of the opinion that the way you described your outfit, it wasn't so blendy. The picture confirms. That isn't a bad thing, I just can't think of the last time I saw a woman in such an outfit at a mall.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Nice outfit and you look fab but I wonder how many GGs would go shopping dressed like that (just my two pennies worth)
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

^^ They do here in Texas

I love the boots. Am I the only one who noticed that purse? How cute!!! I want one!
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Really? Guess I need to get out and shop more....def in the minority from my experience. Of course, I'm not a big fan of boots anyway...(not a native Texan!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    I think it's awesome that you felt at ease at the mall but if I recall correct, I was of the opinion that the way you described your outfit, it wasn't so blendy.
    She also described double takes which is tobe expected with an outfit that is more "sex worker" than blendy.

That is NOT a blendy outfit, mostly because of that skirt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, supershort and tight does the typical man's body no favors. a short a-line would have been a better choice or a slightly above knee skirt, after all it is october even in Texas.

But another thing, there is a metric bleepton of resources out there to help people figure out fashion and makeup....so why don't more CD's use them better! Books, magazines, youtube, bloggers.
    Why not take cues from the over 40 fashionistas out there like:

http://www.jolynneshane.com/

or:

http://susanafter60.com/

One doesn't need to wear a micro-miniskirt and show stocking tops to look great. Now if you're going to a club, then you can pull out the micro-skirt....but the mall?

There's CD's who dress well and dress pretty much exactly like well dressed women their age do, we all see them and they look fabulous. Why don't more CD's emulate their example.

I know that CD's aren't all "playing the same game" if you don't go out, you can wear whatever you want...but for those that DO go out wouldn't you rather look fashionable and elegant rather than.....tacky.

And what's with all the crappy blonde wigs on those with DARK brows! Wigs closer to your own natural haircolor are more flattering!

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Preach Veronica... I agree with your post 100%.

I am still relatively young, so I can get away with shorter skirts and dresses and skimpier outfits, yet I don't, because I would rather dress appropriately for where I am going. When I go out I go to places like malls, grocery stores, restaurants. Why would I wear a short skirt to those places? The only appropriate place for that in my opinion would be a club or bar or music venue, which I have no interest in going to dressed up.

You can be cute and feminine while still being relatively modest and appropriate.

We all go through that phase though. I know I went through a phase where I was all about the short skirts and skin tight dresses. I went to a mall one time with a short white skirt and heels and it didn't take me too long to realize how inappropriate it was for the setting. I went into a store and the SA said "Can I help you" to me while laughing. I don't want negative attention like that.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

I guess I like the whole outfit very hot and I'm sure you turned a fair amount of heads. Go with what ever you are comfortable with.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good for u, Majella! I equate dressing to blend to having a root canal!

Which is why I don't go to vanilla venues dressed unless forced to.

Glad someone has the guts to dress to suit yourself and not strangers. Sadly, I don't-----
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Like everyone else, love the boots.

I would only wear that outfit if I wanted to look inconspicuous. :-)

If it works, do it!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

"SEX WORKER" REALLY NOW. You old ladies dress the way you want. I looked and felt great. At least I don't hidein the closet and tell other people how to present.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I liked the outfit and didn't think it was too over the top.
    Hard to tell from the pic but if you are like many of us the onlookers can realize its a man and not a woman(beard shadow) so that could make the regular people think maybe not so nice thoughts about you.
    Deff a great clubbing outfit tho'.
    I'm no expert or have a womanly figure to pull off an outfit like that but I'll never tell you how to dress.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-17-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Love the boots!

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Nice job.
    Nice boots!

This brings to mind the longstanding question in these pages. When you put yourself out there, does anyone expect constructive criticism or is it all about "you go girl" while blowing pink fog up you-know-where.

Kind of a common theme here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Deff a great clubbing outfit tho'.
    Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    I am still relatively young, so I can get away with shorter skirts and dresses and skimpier outfits, yet I don't, because I would rather dress appropriately for where I am going. When I go out I go to places like malls, grocery stores, restaurants. Why would I wear a short skirt to those places? The only appropriate place for that in my opinion would be a club or bar or music venue, which I have no interest in going to dressed up.

You can be cute and feminine while still being relatively modest and appropriate.

We all go through that phase though. I know I went through a phase where I was all about the short skirts and skin tight dresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    That is NOT a blendy outfit, mostly because of that skirt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, supershort and tight does the typical man's body no favors. a short a-line would have been a better choice or a slightly above knee skirt, after all it is october even in Texas.

Now if you're going to a club, then you can pull out the micro-skirt....but the mall?
    Heck, your original post that got this started (first trip to the mall) wouldn't have gotten my response had it said "first trip to a club". I admit, I enjoy seeing what others perceive as their go-to when first venturing out into the mainstream because quite often, they not only miss the bullseye but the target altogether. It takes me back to my first times out & about mainstream in my early-to-mid 20's when I'm sure I was an absolute train wreck. Fortunately, my memory has purged most of the fashion-failure details and no photographic evidence exists but one thing I'm sure of, after the fact I had the same air of confidence and who-cares that you have now. I was just oblivious to how overcooked I was.

Thing is, Veronica makes a good point about how many resources are out there which can help us be the best we can be when venturing out into this wonderful world of ours. It has nothing to do with conformity. It all has to do with your stated goals. When you say blend to describe your day, that tells me that blending in must be of some importance to you. There is so much information available that the mistakes I made 20+ years ago shouldn't need to be repeated now.

Many of us, myself included, will continue to make mistakes given that we are part time in presentation to the outside world. We lack the 24/7/365 feminine experience that helps most women present to the world so effortlessly, not to mention they are not trying to hide or minimize a myriad of freakin' masculine giveaways that can be difficult or impossible for us to avoid fully. We sometimes fall victim to that "TG MIRROR" which tells us we're all that when really, we're not, at least for out & about in primetime.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Sara Jessica, I agree. I think we are doing each other a disservice if we do not give constructive criticism, especially when it is warranted. Hug boxing is fine and all, but, if you see something that you think could be fixed, say something.

I credit the biggest leaps in improvement to constructive criticism I received over the years. If someone wasn't bold enough to give me the constructive criticism, I would have never improved and still be making the same mistakes.

I understand that posting pictures can be a sensitive area, and that not everyone is ready to hear the truth. But, realize that if you get constructive criticism, its not because we are haters or are being mean, its because we genuinely want to give advice that will help you improve.

Like I said - we all go through that phase. I know I did. I remember buying this short gold sequined mini skirt from Forever 21. It would look really cute... for a 16 year old going to a high school party. But me at the time, a 26 year old, 6 feet tall crossdresser? Where the hell would it make sense for me to wear it outside the privacy of my own apartment? I never wore it one time, and took it back. It was this moment in which it became clear that while a piece of clothing may look "hot", if I am going to get no use out of it other than wearing it in my own apartment, I really don't see the point. Wearing that sequin skirt out in public would have just garnered a slew of negative attention, and not because I am a crossdresser. A GG wearing that skirt out in public would have received negative attention as well unless she was going to a party or club.

It's not just clothes either. What about shoes? When you are out and about count how many women are wearing 3+ inch heels, or heels period. Not many. You see more boots and flats and sneakers. Nothing wrong with heels but there is a time and place for them.
    Last edited by dolovewell; 10-18-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    28 years old, 6' tall, 155 pounds
    Measurements: 33 bust-28 waist-37 hips
    Dress Size: 6, Bra Band Size: 34

Quote Originally Posted by dolovewell View Post
    Right.

I went into a store and the SA said "Can I help you" to me while laughing. I don't want negative attention like that.
    Which is why I said what I did, the OP mentioned in the original thread that she got double-takes.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Good for u, Majella! I equate dressing to blend to having a root canal!
    The problem being, Doc, that Majella called the outfit blendy...which it isn't.

Which is why I don't go to vanilla venues dressed unless forced to.
    And she was wearing said outfit to a vanilla venue.

Glad someone has the guts to dress to suit yourself and not strangers.
    Whether we like it or not, there are unspoken "rules" of what should be worn to where. And when we break the rules, it can garner us more negative attention than most of us want.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    "SEX WORKER" REALLY NOW.
    Yes, really. You could find outfits like that worn by many a trans "Working girl" in any big city.

You old ladies dress the way you want.
    You're 53, I checked, and I'm 49. Did you see any other women near your age dressed like that at the mall? No?

At least I don't hidein the closet
    I first went out in public back in 2001, 15 years ago.

and tell other people how to present.
    I didn't tell you how to dress. What I told you was that outfit wasn't blendy! If you wanted to be blendy why did you wear THAT? And then I suggested taking fashion cues from well dressed women nearer your age. Even for club wear I would think that there are better choices for a 53 year old that are still sexy.....but a better kind of sexy that is more likely to receive honest compliments on ones sense of style. After all, we are not 19 year old college girls, wearing what they do to clubs can look ridiculous on older women. (Including CD's)

http://www.fabulousafter40.com/las-v...over-40-or-50/

I liked the outfit and didn't think it was too over the top.
    Really, for the mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    This brings to mind the longstanding question in these pages. When you put yourself out there, does anyone expect constructive criticism or is it all about "you go girl" while blowing pink fog up you-know-where.

Kind of a common theme here...
    Indeed.

I admit, I enjoy seeing what others perceive as their go-to when first venturing out into the mainstream because quite often, they not only miss the bullseye but the target altogether.
    Yes, that happens.

It takes me back to my first times out & about mainstream in my early-to-mid 20's when I'm sure I was an absolute train wreck. Fortunately, my memory has purged most of the fashion-failure details and no photographic evidence exists but one thing I'm sure of, after the fact I had the same air of confidence and who-cares that you have now. I was just oblivious to how overcooked I was.
    My weakness early on was makeup, not fashion, but I got better with makeup very quickly. My first time out involved a sweater (cowl necked), skirt (that came just below my knees) and boots that was perfect for a plus-size-fall-fashionista look. I wanted to look as much like a well dressed woman of my age and build as I could.

Thing is, Veronica makes a good point about how many resources are out there which can help us be the best we can be when venturing out into this wonderful world of ours. It has nothing to do with conformity. It all has to do with your stated goals. When you say blend to describe your day, that tells me that blending in must be of some importance to you. There is so much information available that the mistakes I made 20+ years ago shouldn't need to be repeated now.
    Exactly. If one talks about blending and wanting to blend and then obviously makes the choice to NOT blend, it just makes me have a bit of a confused moment.

Many of us, myself included, will continue to make mistakes given that we are part time in presentation to the outside world.
    That is true.

We lack the 24/7/365 feminine experience that helps most women present to the world so effortlessly, not to mention they are not trying to hide or minimize a myriad of freakin' masculine giveaways that can be difficult or impossible for us to avoid fully. We sometimes fall victim to that "TG MIRROR" which tells us we're all that when really, we're not, at least for out & about in primetime.
    It's not effortless, even for "GG's", but they start learning what they need to know earlier than most of transfolk do. But as I said, there are lots of resources out there that transfolk can take advantage of.

And also...what dolovewell said. I'm 49 years old...I probably shouldn't be shopping at Forever21 or Torrid, as cute as some of their things are, but rather J Jill, or Talbots.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If a GG was in that outfit at the mall it would not be a big deal Veronica you know it and everyone else here knows it.
    She can wear what she wants just as you can look like June Cleaver in your clothing choices if that is what you like.
    If you don't like her choice thats fine I'm sure there are plenty here that don't like your clothing choices but they don't reprimand you for it do they?

If a GG was in that outfit at the mall it would not be a big deal Veronica you know it and everyone else here knows it.
    Don't bullshit me. You know exactly what would happen if a 53 year old GG..and I'm not talking some "plastic surgery addict upper-class real houswife of the OC type" 53 year old but the average wrinkly saggy 53 year old went walking down the mall in that doing the "mutton as lamb" thing. There would be pointing, staring, laughing and comments behind her back. Now imagine a 53 year old CD, it would be worse. Like it or not CD's (and transfolk in general) are judged more harshly by society as a whole by breaking the rules of fashion.

She can wear what she wants just as you can look like June Cleaver in your clothing choices if that is what you like.
    Sure she can wear what she wants, but she is NOT immune from the negative attention her choices might bring to her.

If you don't like her choice thats fine I'm sure there are plenty here that don't like your clothing choices but they don't reprimand you for it do they?
    It was a bad choice for what she believed was a "Blendy" outfit, she'd have been better off taking fashion cues from YOU, because you are actually blendy. Whether I like or dislike the outfit isn't really the thing. The thing is, that specific outfit is more likely to garner negative attention when worn at a mall by a CD. I want to prevent future such negative attention by encouraging CD's to not make similar fashion mistakes.

Most CD's here say they want to look like women. How about we ask the GG's what they think about that outfit and whether it was blendy or not for a 53 year old CD. You and I both know what they'll say.

Veronica

Well Veronica the only negative comments I received were on this site. Everyone I came in contact with complimented me on my clothes, boots, legs and my bad blonde wig. And I aint no saggy old 53 year old. I wasn't out flouncing around drawing attention to myself. Yeah I turned some heads, because I looked good. I live in Dirty Myrtle Beach, the Red Neck Riveria and believe me I was overdressed for this town. Not everyone likes to dress like a librarian. So keep your negativity and holier than thou attitude to yourself.