Thread: Remembered by neighbor as a girl

Remembered by neighbor as a girl

My dog is very recognizable, and very friendly. He's a 95 pound male Bernese Mountain Dog, with very striking tri-color markings. He is only one in my neighborhood, and there is only one other, half his age and definitely smaller, within a two or three mile radius. I walk him every day, usually around 7 in the morning and again at 10 AM - but it could be any time of day, depending on the weather and what else I need to do. Most of the time, I walk him in male mode, but recently I've gone out several times en-femme to take my dog on our daily walk through my neighborhood. Either way, I often encounter neighbors who see me and wave or say hello, and occasionally they actually approach and talk with me. If they encounter me en-femme, I use my female voice and mannerisms, and unless they directly ask if I'm the same person, or unless they are one of the few neighbors who definitely knows both sides of me already, I give them no reason to question my feminine gender.

Well, today I was out with the dog, as a male, and stopped to chat with two neighbors who live on the back side of my block. At first I was just chatting with the lady, and then her husband joined us. They are dog owners as well, and they both loved petting my dog. She introduced him to the dog, and the husband mentioned that he remembered my dog, and that he had recently seen, "a girl taking him for a run." Then he described me as Ceera, passing with my dog, and how my dog had heard him opening a squeaky side door to his garage and the dog reared up on his hind legs and strained at the leash to look around the corner of the garage and see what had made the noise. It was a very memorable moment for him, he said. Yet he gave no sign at all that he had seen the dog's handler as anything but a girl. He clearly thought 'she' was someone else other than me, who occasionally also walked my dog.

So, what did you say, or did you just keep "Mum"?

Maybe he did know it was you and just doesn't care but was politely letting you know you are accepted without bringing up the subject. Things that make you go hmmmm

It does not seem to matter. You are accepted. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I just treated it as if he was referring to a female member of my household who also walks my dog.

The important things to me is that when I am out and about as Ceera, no one reacts adversely to me at all. It's nice to just be treated like any other nice member of the neighborhood.

I've a Papillon, we only do weekend day walks at a park a few miles away and while I have sports top, bra & tights I generally don't do the wig.
    Around our home, our walks with me in the same mode as above or guy mode generally occure about 8 pm which may or may not be dark.
    I figure people will either care or not care

DSCF0006a (2).jpg
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are making want a dog again.
    I miss my miniature red pom.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I have a Bernese too! Does yours like to lie on his back with his legs open? Ours is female, so it can be quite a conversation-stopper.

Enjoyed your story, congrats on passing - did you ever confuse your dog with radical changes of clothing?
    I used to have a short attention spa

That trait of a Bernese laying on their back with their legs spread is typical. I've owned three males, and every one of them did it. They love tummy rubs! Another typical pose is what my family calls 'frog dog' - on their belly with the hind legs spread, to get more of their lower belly on the cool floor. Or 'elegant dog' - on belly, with the front paws crossed.

The first few times my dog saw me en-femme, I think he might have wondered if my late wife had somehow come back to life. But there is no fooling that nose! A few sniffs and despite my perfume, he is certain it is me.