Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This TG thing in the media isn't doing us any favors.

Gold Member

This TG thing in the media isn't doing us any favors.

I been at my same job for a few years now.
    Very seldom got called "sir" and just have not had any real bad experiences. I mean if I got called "sir" twice in one week, it was just a bad week.

Though I have not been lazy about my presentation (still do hair, makeup, use female voice, and dress well) it seems lately I get "sir" about twice a day lately. Of course it is always men who do so.

I don't know if it is because there seems to be this flood of talk in the media about transgender stuff lately and people are getting tired of hearing about it or maybe people didn't think about it before but now they do and are not sure how to react to us...

Often times I just say, "it is ma'am" and they are like, "Oh I am sorry..." in a sincere enough tone.

The ones who are tired of hearing about it - Do they maybe feel the need to challenge a label, kind of for the same reason a kid in a Honda civic thinks he needs to try to race every car that is actually fast? Or maybe how a weight lifter hears from pencil necks about some other guy they know who is 10 times as strong? Or how someone might tell a martial artists, "Oh but I know this guy who can kill someone with his pinky toe!"

Like peoples' precious egos are hurt so they have to try to put someone in their place? Maybe the general public had few problems before but now that it is widespread news that we exist, some folks just want to discredit our efforts?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

my honest feeling is stop taking notice of every word that people say. So many don't even think about who they are talking to. or how it effects them. Personally I don't care if they call me her she mam or sir etc.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

A friend of mine, a cis woman, has an illness that had caused her to lose all her hair completely. She's in her 40s. She gets people sarcastically calling her 'sir' now, and it never used to happen.

Yes, the assholes seem to be coming out of the woodwork.
    "Your hands are cold but your lips are warm..."

At times I do see your opinion/thoughts. Yes there will always be bigoted people or others with different views that want to inflate their own egos by downgrading others. That is not likely to change.

40 years ago so few TS around people didn't even question ones presentation.

With all the new media presence on TG/TS people are probably looking at each other more often.

As far as not doing us any favors. It is making society look at the whole issue. There are some that have been waiting that may have the presence to seek out others.

Maybe it is time for society to see that TG/TS are not strange but just regular people.

It really doesn't help that 22 states want us dead, or banished.

Banned Read only
    It also doesn't help that we get so many benefits and protections that most don't. It's very easy for me to see where the frustration is coming from.

What? We get benefits and protections others don't? I wish I knew what those were. Really Joker, where do you get this stuff?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrijerry View Post
    my honest feeling is stop taking notice of every word that people say. So many don't even think about who they are talking to. or how it effects them. Personally I don't care if they call me he she mam or sir etc.
    Usually I do alright with not worrying but I guess my confidence isn't perfect yet.
    Life enjoys testing our patience from time to time.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Banned Read only
    Lorileah, if you're going to respond with a sarcastic or mocking tone (I don't even know which, but it's clear you didn't even spend two seconds considering what I said), then I'm not going to waste my time explaining.

I say this with all the irony on the planet: Put yourself in some one else's shoes for once.

Ummm, what are those benefits and protections? I sure in heck have not been aware of or received any unless I am completely blind to them or missed out on them. I am not being sarcastic or mocking. I truly have not experienced or know of any so an explanation would be appreciated.

Melissa, it really depends on what state you live in. If you live in the United States, that is. Like in Washington state, anybody who is TS is protected by the law and they can use whichever bathroom they feel matches their gender identity without much confrontation. Except from the occasional jerk. It's also pretty easy to find doctors in this state. Even the more conservative half of the state isn't too bad. There's also college scholarships specifically for those who are TS.

Aspiring Member
    Except Joker wrote we get so many benefits and protections that most don't. No one is denied the use of a bathroom. Unless you're TG and want to use the one that matches your gender indentity(in some states). Outside of income limitations, everyone can find a doctor. There's no special privelege conferred to trans peeps in those areas. Anti-discrimination laws are not a privelege; they aid in(but are not a panacea) reducing unequal treatment.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBJoker View Post
    It also doesn't help that we get so many benefits and protections that most don't. It's very easy for me to see where the frustration is coming from.

What in the world are you talking about?

Lorileah, if you're going to respond with a sarcastic or mocking tone (I don't even know which, but it's clear you didn't even spend two seconds considering what I said), then I'm not going to waste my time explaining.

I say this with all the irony on the planet: Put yourself in some one else's shoes for once.
    No honestly. Explain (if it isn't worth your time, then it wasn't worth throwing out to start with). Was your first post sarcastic? What benefits and protections do we get. Really, I want to know. What EXACTLY do Transpeople get that isn't already given to ...I dunno, white males? OH yeah, I considered everything you said. Maybe you are talking how some people get frustrated when they think they are losing rights? But they don't lose them. They KEEP theirs and others get the same. So I am eagerly awaiting your response. Go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    Melissa, it really depends on what state you live in. If you live in the United States, that is. Like in Washington state, anybody who is TS is protected by the law and they can use whichever bathroom they feel matches their gender identity without much confrontation.
    That's a protection? Seems like that is really EQUAL rights, no?
    It's also pretty easy to find doctors in this state. Even the more conservative half of the state isn't too bad. There's also college scholarships specifically for those who are TS.
    Wait, still don't see a benefit. So, it's a benefit to be able to get scholarships? It's a benefit to find a doctor who will do the job they get paid to do? Even if we talk minorities, that is an equal thing. Still not seeing how TGs get benefits. Is your point that some states have better TG benefits and protections? That is true. And that is because not enough TGs actually stand up. You know what would be a benefit? If we were treated JUST LIKE EVERYONE else.

I still call BS on Joker's first post
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Possibly has something to do with an increasing tendency toward intolerance of LGBT people that many Americans are espousing nowadays.
    My name is Carol.

Nicole... to repeat some of the wisdom i have read here explains at least to me that people must define all things to have comfort in their daily surroundings.... if their definitions of others does not accept trans or other minorities, then they have a response, which can have a full range from good to bad... curious friendliness to outright calling someone a 'deviate' (as has happened to me on more than one occasion at Walmart). Their lack of knowledge seems to be related to their culture and the response to each person's nature. Media raising the awareness has caused people to look for the new 'phenom' and begin to grapple with the definition.... hence when they see someone they suspect as trans they respond with calling 'sir' to help themselves cope.

I have gotten lots of 'sirs' lately too which have an elevated level of emphasis which strikes me in some terms as passive aggressive behavior but that interpretation can be my fear of being made, singled out or identified.... although i can't really complain as i can't pass.... but the frequent 'sirs' do sting me a little too. I would like to take the best high road that Gerri suggested but the SIRS get old lol.... huggs.... tommie
    Enjoy our new life and seek peace Give love and kindness to others Live patience, self control, humility each day

Ok ladies & gents. The black helicopters are watching me so I can only tell you this once:

Here is how you get your special trans benefits and protections. . .

Next time you are at your ATM, cancel the transaction but then quickly type in "8675309." The screen will show "Do you want to end this TRANSaction?" Just like that. When you see that, you know you are in. If you then type in your Social Security Number, the screen will show "Thank You, TRANSaction complete." Done.

Within 5 business days, an unmarked panel van will pull up to your residence and deliver an envelope containing:
    1. Certificates for free GRS and FFS at the hospital of your choice;
    2. A complete set of official identification with the appropriate gender marker;
    3. A "Get Out of Jail Free" card;
    4. Guaranteed employment for life;
    5. A copy of The Beatles album, that when played backwards explains why you are trans;
    6. A black AMEX card with all billing to go to the state of North Carolina treasury;
    7. I'm not sure what else. The trans illuminati time traveller had to beam back to Ork before zie could tell me the rest.

This post will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. . .
    Debby

Silver Member
    Right special benefits and privilege!
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 10-22-2016 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Sorry, no swearing

Gold Member
    Joker, it amazes me how you behave in this forum. You come in here and constantly complain that no one understands you and then you throw tripe like this out. Do you know why laws are passed on behalf of the marginalized? So that they can get a little closer to being equal. Note that I didn't say equal. What next? Do you want insurance companies not to pay for cancer treatment because you don't have cancer? Coverage is for everyone.

Bathrooms are for everyone. Same thing.

Restaurants or any other business cannot discriminate. It is simple. You don't like it? Don't open up a restaurant!

Have you really found a scholarship for being trans or are you just stacking the bullshit up?

And finally, if cis men have problems getting care after being rape, then we need to fix that. I don't understand how we always compare things and then say someone shouldn't have something because we created an emotional comparison. All people should be listened to and treated and helped if they say they have been raped. Period. If there is a shortfall, you don't take it away from the others, you fix the problem.

You are either not trans or you have some serious internalized transphobia going on there.

Thank you Sue.

And Joker - from reading many of your comments on this forum I can't understand why you continue to bless us with your insights. You have stated many times in many ways that you are not accepting of yourself and discussed purging and no longer visiting this site. Please learn to love and accept yourself and then maybe you can do the same for others. But I do thank you for reminding me that I should strive to do those same things to a greater degree myself.

Sorry to everyone else for making it personal and I will not do so again on this thread. Joker if you want to discuss PM me but I promise I will be much more harsh.

Woman first, Trans second
    GBJoker... I'm practically a TERF by most of the "trans community's" standard, and having spent a lot of time talking with them, I can tell you that even the TERFs don't support many of the arguments you are trying to make.

I would love to talk about who DOES support your arguments, and why I think you're completely full of it, but those topics are generally not permitted here.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Banned Read only
    I have been rattled and surprised, to say the least...

First off, insults won't convince me of anything.

KimberlyOct: Because various other LGBT clubs and transgender forums have asked me to leave for having a different opinion than every one else, leaving this website as the sole remaining place where I can talk about transgender issues. I don't recall where I've stated I don't accept myself though. I accepted myself 8 years ago, when I came out of the closet. I'm not going to PM, because PM's don't seem to be working for me.

Zooey: I'm not sure what a "TERF" is, so I'm not sure how to respond.

Nicole Erin's OP seemed to me to be asking for theories on the backlash towards transgendered peoples in today's society. I postulated a theory. That's it.

Woman first, Trans second
    TERF: Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists

See also: Google
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Good gosh Joker, what a horrific load of horse #*@^.

All those words and so-called examples mean nothing. I cannot think of a single instance where a trans person is granted a single advantage over anyone else in society. No one is asking for anything special or over-and-above. Like any oppressed group, living to play on an equal field is sure a nice place to start.

Yours is low hanging fruit when it comes to refuting a premise. In the immortal words of fIREHOSE, Another Theory Shot To Shit.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Because various other LGBT clubs and transgender forums have asked me to leave for having a different opinion than every one else, leaving this website as the sole remaining place where I can talk about transgender issues.
    Not that you aren't entitled to your opinions, but if enough people pile on you for them, maybe it's time to question them? Personally, I find them borderline offensive. This stuff you're saying is like saying 50 years ago that black people not having to sit at the back of the bus meant they enjoyed special privileges. Society is only beginning to treat us like human beings; that doesn't equate to getting special privileges in any universe. You don't get to say the kind of stuff you're saying and not expect lots of backlash.