Thread: Visiting Provincetown MA.

Visiting Provincetown MA.

Plans are in the future to visit Provincetown, probably in September. Of course the basic reason to go there is because it is reportedly a safe and non-judgmental environment. And as I plan on being out and about in total "she" mode, a few days there sounds like a most worthwhile experience. Question- Is Provincetown a place where we can just wander the streets, shop, and dine without anticipating any hassles? I know Fantasia Fair is held there but I plan on visiting perhaps a month or so earlier. Any input?
    Are there any other places which have a similar vibe? Thanks.

from my experience (never dressed) I'd be incredibly SHOCKED to hear you caught any kind of flack from anyone in that town. go have fun be girly, he'll I've been trying to go an do the same. but life always seems to get inew the way

I've been there before, not for coding, whale watching actually. It is a very open LGBT community though. You won't find an abundance of the T but it is definitely accepted. So long as you are following basic decency. It's not at all a sleazy town, very classy actually for the most part. I would just suggest a respectable level of cding. There is accommodation for cders, and some drag shows if you want to catch one. It is one of the most peaceful communities I've ever been to. The only one I can think of that I've been to that is more peaceful and serene is a place called Lilly dale in western NY which is a spirituality retreat of sorts.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I have been invited up there many times but still have not accepted ( busy schedule) ..I have friends that go up there all the time, and spend full weeks there going to the bars, clubs,shopping and resturants. I hear nothing but good things, never any issues at all. Its P-Town after all LOL its a "gay town" ...just like going to Cherry Grove on Fire Island ...you will have a blast. Hoping to finally put it on my been there done that list soon too !

I've been there a few times for whale watching. The locals will be fine, I'd just be mindful of tourists who are there to whale watching though. Drag Queens are common there. Not sure about regular crossdressers

We used to live just across the bay from P-Town and visited there several times a year (never dressed though). I can tell you that the whole town is incredibly accepting year round. Not just during Fantasia Fair. I've seen other CD/TG's around town during our various visits and saw no negative reactions at all. Go and have fun!!!
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Hi Arial, The town is very accepting, there is really no place that you go that you will not be liked. The week ends are a little kind of crazy for me any way. The people that go up there are lookers and bring there kids, which I don't think its needed. If you go just be your own she self. Use to be a fun place were my wife and I went a couple times. Now we like to go to Key West, it a lot like P- town but bigger, and a lot warmer. They are both fun places and the Fairs are crazy, not sure how old you are. My wife and I are old farts so we go for our own fun. It seems like the younger people have a great time. Oh to be young again. Jo

Go without a worry and enjoy yourself. People are accepting or they wouldn't be there...

Thank you all for the input...Looks like we will be northbound next year

I go there frequently, always presenting female and have never had a problem. At the most recent Carnival parade I did get stopped by the cops, but it was because they wanted to take selfies with me (I was dressed as Elvira.) It's a wonderful place. In September you probably will not see a lot of other crossdressers but check out the Governor Bradford -- they often have karaoke events that are very popular with the TG crowd. There will be lots of families there during the day -- don't be concerned. They expect us to be there and would probably be disappointed if we weren't.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I spent a year living in North Truro ,Mass and i Loved going to P' town on the weekends

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    I've actually only been there once, years & years ago. And it was only me (in 100% guy-mode) driving around in the evening, just checking out the scene.

Actually got pulled over there, too -- had an open beer in the car, and more on the floor of the passenger side. I was half-drunk.

Cop was really cool. Yeah, he dumped my open one & gave me a warning not to be drinking while driving. Could have easily busted me. I was definitely over the legal limit had he tested, but I can act pretty "straight" even when fully loaded.

Bad, Laura... BAD!

Not sure if I am getting the name correct but New Hope, PA on the Delaware River almost in New Jersey. Gay town very friendly is another place. Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

You'll have a better time in Key West. It's warmer, just for starters. And you can even be trashy, if that's your thing.
    Just Google Fantasy Fest for a taste of the town.

I went to Fantasia a few years ago. The day I arrived I discovered the previous week was a Lesbian Retreat week. Thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Enjoy.

Fantasia Fair is usually scheduled to occur the week after Woman's Week.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Having been to Provincetown a few time and knowing how the people of Massachusetts view Provincetown.
    You will be totally fine. Anyone that visits Provincetown know what to expect.

Go, enjoy and dont worry. You will have a blast.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Silver Member
    You will be fine there dressed. Just watch yourself after dark, but that is true of just about everywhere on the planet.

Only issue I had when I was in Provincetown was trying to get around. Many streets are narrow and in rough shape (at least when I was there), parking is pretty limited and many spaces on the street are metered 24/7. I ended up having to do a LOT of walking (I would have preferred to drive personally), just something to bear in mind when planning your wardrobe.