Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hormones

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar

Hormones

My friend who is transgender informed that she stopped taking hormones. Her transition was coming along but her complain with them is the mood swings and she states it's driving her crazy.My question is this is this a normal reaction ?and is it a good idea for her just to stop?things I noticed is she looks like she has a 5 o'clock shadow and her voice sounds deeper.any comment

Precisely those two things that you mention are the two things that DO NOT change when the person is under HRT. So her five O'clock shadow is herself and her voice maybe she has a cold.

Karla

HRT shouldn't affect voice or beard. If she had Laser/electrolysis, the beard should have been removed already. If she hasn't had all that done, she could/should continue with that.

The mood swings were part of the reason I stopped HRT 7-8 after SRS. I was on a combo of Estrogen/Progesterone, in a similar to female monthly cycle. My OB/GYN could not see a reason at that time (1985) to continue.

Maybe she needs to have her Endo modify her levels.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karla2016 View Post
    Precisely those two things that you mention are the two things that DO NOT change when the person is under HRT. So her five O'clock shadow is herself and her voice maybe she has a cold.

Karla
    Ok Karla I had no idea. Thanks

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post
    HRT shouldn't affect voice or beard. If she had Laser/electrolysis, the beard should have been removed already. If she hasn't had all that done, she could/should continue with that.

The mood swings were part of the reason I stopped HRT 7-8 after SRS. I was on a combo of Estrogen/Progesterone, in a similar to female monthly cycle. My OB/GYN could not see a reason at that time (1985) to continue.

Thanks for the advice, I will mention it to her my concern was that was maybe harming herself by not taking the hormones that were prescribed to her.

Reality Check
    As a general rule, one should not stop taking prescription medicine without consulting one's doctor. If the medicine was causing problems, she should have talked it over with her doctor.

Maybe she changed her mind?

I have heard of people stop taking Progesterone because it's been associated with depression / anxiety, but they would continue Estrogen.
    "Your hands are cold but your lips are warm..."

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Maybe she changed her mind?
    Or maybe the reason she gave was the truth rather than what other people would want it to be.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

If the hormones are driving her crazy, then stopping at least temporarily may not be a bad idea. My recommendation would be for her to discuss this with her endocrinologist.

It seems that your question is more about whether or not it is a good idea to just stop taking her hormones, than it is about why she wants to do so. If that is true, then, if she chooses to move n that directio, the means of doing so should be discussed with her doctor. The introduction to hormones is generally done by prescribing them at lower levels in the beginning and increasing dosage over time. It seems logical, that there might be reasons to retreat from hormones in a similar fashion.

Carlene

Silver Member
    It's a second-hand recounting without sufficient detail to even speculate. "Hormones"? Which? In what combinations? Other meds? Anti-androgens? Strengths? (Can't discuss dosages here anyway.) Administration type? Other medical issues? "Mood swings"? What kind? How often? Other symptoms?

Etc. Not a useful thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgette_USA View Post

I gotta throw my 2 cents in! Personally I have been on HRT for almost 2 months. I've already noticed my beard growth has slowed quite alot and its easier for me to get my voice higher for a more fem sound. Personally I believe that it all comes down to genetics, and how healthy one is. I eat healthy including all the food groups and also exercise regularly. Most people think I'm in my early 20s and I'm actually 32. Also you should NEVER stop taking ANY drug without consulting your physician. The first few weeks were a ride for me but everything settled. I have my days of full on bitch mode but they arent' often. It also helps I have patience. I still get a day here and there with some slight dysphoria but then I just keep thinking that I am beautiful and the world is beautiful and it keeps my mood above the clouds Oh and I'm Jenny by the way!

I forgot to mention I have not done electrolysis or laser on my beard yet I just shave my face as close as I can and roll with it. I don't care if I'm "clocked" I am in transition and if other people have an issue they can keep it to themselves. The moment you stop and forget what others think is the moment you can spread your wings and fly with all the other beautiful birds

Silver Member
    Oh please ...

Beard growth and growth rates are the province of voodoo science and shysters, in the same category as baldness treatments.

Voice is a function of physical characteristics - vocal chord spacing, size, and thickness, physicality affecting resonance, etc. Period. No hormone treatment reverses any of these.

Gold Member
    Getting advice on hormones from those not on hormones is not helpful.

The recommendation is always the same when it comes to something like this. Ask the doctor. There are many different delivery methods and we don't know her levels. Both can affect feelings either by being at the wrong level or too much swing between high and low levels. Only a qualified doctor can help on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Oh please ...

Beard growth and growth rates are the province of voodoo science and shysters, in the same category as baldness treatments.

Voice is a function of physical characteristics - vocal chord spacing, size, and thickness, physicality affecting resonance, etc. Period. No hormone treatment reverses any of these.
    I beg to differ. Baldness is brought on by genetics and testosterone. I've been logging my process, everyone reacts to drugs differently than others. Medication for some reason interacts with my body at a much higher level than some which has is drawbacks as side effects are much worse for me. I dunno, I'm sorry you disagree lol but it is what it is I never get sick either and haven't had a flu shot in almost a decade. Explain that one.

Gold Member
    What does not getting sick have anything to do with beard growth? It is science that taking HRT doesn't change your voice if you are MTF. Testosterone thickens the vocal cords and it is irreversible. This is why FTMs have their voice drop similar to puberty. Their vocal cords thicken and lower their voice. We have to train. You are either practicing at a higher pitch (voice is more than pitch incidentally) or you are sensing something that isn't there. If you are getting a better voice, good for you, it helps. But it isn't the HRT.

Banned Read only
    Jennifer,
    I had this conversation with a TS at one of my meetings , in fact she's brought the subject up a couple of times, it is a balancing act, and it can take time to get it right . Lets face it you're basically male taking medication to alter some of those characteristics, side effects are almost inevitable as with many medications, often we hear people say they came off prescribed drugs because of the adverse side effects . I've found antidepressant side effects as bad to deal with as the depression itself, in the case of hormones you may have to live with them or get them reassessed if transition is to continue.

No lol I don't mind the side effects they are just intense for me. I've been down the antidepressant road twice and never walking down it again. That stuff did nothing good for me. I just stopped worrying about the things that gave me stress. Now I'm stress free no worries etc etc.

I did some research and there are others than felt the same after starting HRT so I'm not the only one that feels this way. It's also science to question everything and continue to research and retest theories or question theories. Also the fact there are drugs being made to make people live longer lives I find it seriously hard to believe our bodies cannot be fine tuned and react to medicines differently. I also have played music for the majority of my life and am finding it easier to reach higher notes while NOT taking any HRT this was not possible. Again I question EVERYTHING! Science is ALWAYS evolving like life. We will just agree to disagree at this point lol no worries
    Last edited by jenn_devilz; 10-29-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: updates

Silver Member
    I said baldness treatments are voodoo science. I know what causes baldness (and it's more than genetics and T). There's some interesting research going on. Nonetheless, surely you're not so literal that you failed to see the rhetorical point?

Your vocal cords are what they are as a male-bodied person. Voice training helps a lot. Slog on.

People "feel" all kinds of things on hormones.

I would not recommend starting, or stopping hormones without an endo in your corner. Perhaps she needs a more stable delivery system (patch). She needs to see her doctor.

Gold Member
    I always like when experienced people state their experience and a new person comes in with their pipe dream *that goes against science* and says "we will just have to agree to disagree". This translates into "I am not going to listen to those who know what they are talking about because my way sounds better".

For everyone considering transition, listen to the folks who have been down the road. It is for your own mental well being. Dysphoria is nothing to mess with and setting unrealistic expectations will clobber you. This is tough enough already without you thinking that a magic pill will give you a woman's body and voice in three months or less. What you are instead doing is taking hormones to normalize your thoughts and feelings. Then you are just you after. With whatever body.

Don't set yourself up for failure...

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Getting advice on hormones from those not on hormones is not helpful..
    I disagree. Your doctor is giving you advice on hormones and is probably not on hormones him/herself. Many people study these things and have the advantage of research and studying many different people's experiences, not just one experience. Hormones and other medicines can have different affects on different people.

So I'm not on hormones but my advice is for here to consult with her doctor about the problems she is having with the hormones. Is that not helpful?

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    Getting advice on hormones from those not on hormones is not helpful.

The recommendation is always the same when it comes to something like this. Ask the doctor. There are many different delivery methods and we don't know her levels. Both can affect feelings either by being at the wrong level or too much swing between high and low levels. Only a qualified doctor can help on this one.
    Just to ensure that the context of the quote used by Krisi is not misunderstood.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Silver Member
    The point is credibility. It's generally over-attributed to doctors. As it happens, most of the real expertise (not knowledge per se) in cross sex hormones administration, as it's off-label usage and very poorly-studied in the academic sense, is in a subset of the trans population itself and in a relatively small handful of doctors with sufficient practice exposure. It's a rather confusing mix of the applicability of known science, it's extension - frankly, by assumption, observation, convention, and speculation. There IS NO BODY OF KNOWLEDGE that accounts for the effects in peer-reviewed form except at the most marginal of margins.

My best recommendation is to undertake serious study yourself, establish a real partnership with your provider, and be prepared to represent (bring in) the collective experience of the trans population as needed.

The good news is that convention works well for most of us. That collective wisdom I mentioned, however, is that the exceptions rarely accelerate one down the happy path. Regarding the semi-miraculous voice capability: Felicitations and happy day! Congratulations! Wondrous news indeed!

A person once jumped off the upper observation deck of the Empire State Building only to be blown by the wind onto the lower. Hopefully they didn't then go about dismissing warnings against jumping. Nor is there sufficient to stop advising the would-be hormonistas that MtF voices are not affected. So sorry.

In my own personal experience and what I have witnessed in ALL other transitioning women without exception. There is a great deal of emotional instability that follows you throughout the transitioning process and beyond. It was of course always there and was and is the very thing you are trying to escape so that you may survive and thrive.

After transitioning you fit well into your own mind, or at least I do, but you still have the often difficult challenges of fitting into society at large.

In my opinion it is not possible to say how much the hormones play in shaping or affecting ones state of mind. They absolutely have an effect but there is so much else going on that they are only one factor among many.

There are many stressful experiences in life. The death of a loved one, divorce,illness, job loss, ect..

Transitioning in my opinion is equal to any of these experiences and often because of transitioning you experience those other stressful examples.

To lay everything at the feet of the hormones and blame them and than stop taking them without the express consent and involvement of the doctors and psychologists whose care she should be under is irrational and could exacerbate the instability that must be there already that compelled transitioning in the first place.

Transitioning is a treatment process to cure an illness. You don't stop and than expect to recover your health and you don't start unless you are sure the illness existed in the first place.

Your friend is either not transsexual or putting herself in great danger by not being willing to do what it takes to become healthy.

Those who identify as transgender change to escape the rigid confines of the gender binary. A transsexual moves toward the binary to become the opposite of what they are. Be sure your friend understands the difference because her/his life depends on it.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 11-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Silver Member
    +10, Kelly.