Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wedding dress

Aspiring Member
    I have two. Both have moderate beading and chapel length trains. They are fun to wear, but they do take time to put on. I have veils, bustier, garter, heels, hose, fake bouquet, and crinoline...the whole outfit. I bought each dress at bridal shop going out of business sales. One was US$90 and the other was US$230. Nice gowns, not cheap ones, by the way.

Wedding gowns run small, really small. I wear a size 14, but my bridal gowns are size 18 and 20. One has a zipper in back, as one would expect. The other has a satin ribbon web closure in back that I had a seamstress make because I liked the dress style but the zipper was too tight. The bustier has a low back, so the dress has a slight backless look.

Part of a VERY long story so here is the Cliff notes version. Age 15 (1972) I spent most of that summer with my Grand Parents...as Jennifer (parents did not know). Aunt (who "created" Jennifer) was a beautician in a small town in north Georgia. I worked part of a week for my Grand-dad at the Community Chest and my "pay" was what ever I wanted. Well, amongst other things (like a full summer wardrobe) was a wedding dress. Fast forward three weeks and I am spending a week with my Aunt who insisted I bring the dress. She does the finishing touches on a brides hair at the church. Wedding, reception, they leave. However, while the reception is going on my Aunt is doing final touch up on my hair. She wanted photos of a new style she had created and I got to be the model...in a wedding dress...in a church...like a bridal portrait with a real photographer. Much to my surprise my Grand Parents show up, both "dressed to the nines". For many years after (till she died in 83), the photo of me in "my" wedding dress with my Grand Parents sat on Gram's dresser. Funny part was for all those years no one in the family ever put 2 and 2 together that the "bride" was me. "Obvious family resemblance" people said but no one ever figured out who it was or why she had a "non-family member" photo so prominent on her dresser.

EDIT: I never wore the dress again. Didn't see it again till my cousin who was the same age/size as I then wore it for her wedding 4 years later. Only other wedding dress I have ever worn was my wife's when she insisted I try it on for her a couple of years after our marriage.
    Last edited by Jennifer in CO; 11-01-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added a post

In my case, I think a wedding gown will remain a fantasy. Given my size... I don't think I'd look all cute, petite & fem. But "IF" that day were ever to come, I'd like to try it at least once... along with all of the pretty underthings to go with it including the cute shoes and white nylons.

Lacy PJs

Aspiring Member
    The fantasy is probably much more heightened than the reality, unless you enjoy being enveloped in a heavy, long (sometimes even dragging) skirt. Yes, you will look somewhat prettier. Yes, the dress is beautiful. I suppose the rest of it is what it stands for - the wedding, looking and feeling beautiful there, etc.

I acknowledge that the very thought of all this is extremely cliché, and may not provide the best - let alone a comprehensive - view of us. I acknowledge nonetheless that there's a certain appeal to the fantasy garment that is the wedding dress. With the greatest respect, when you're actually in this kind of dress it's a bit underwhelming. Not something you'll think about too much after a while. Sort of an odd version of "never meet your heroes"?

I'm not sure a petite girl like myself would look good in the stereotypical wedding dress (A-line, chapel train, long sleeves) in the first place. I like the ball gown silhouette in particular, though. On another tangent, given the chance to wear a ball gown / Quinceanera dress with a hoop skirt again, I would (although I think I'm kind of past Quinceanera anyway, haha.) Something ornate to complement the austerity my wardrobe is in and should be in. But I think they're really gorgeous at the right occasion. Whether I am "cute, petite and fem" in those gowns is another issue. The gown itself is a thing of beauty.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 10-31-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    It's a yes form me, loved wearing a wedding dress. I will probably never wear another one but, I will also never forget the joy.

Yes I would love to try on a bride dress.

Danielle

I have had at least 7 separate bridal fittings and established friendships with women at a few bridal salons. Say what you will, it is simply the most feminine thing you can do and it is the most fun I have ever had (except time spent with family), ever! Having the SA help you into the gown, secure you into it and then walk out and see yourself in the mirror......wow! Then when the veil is placed on your head, the smile cannot be described. And if you are lucky enough to do this while other women are trying on their gowns and interacting with them, nothing like it. There is only one word to describe it: joy!
    Last edited by Kandi Robbins; 11-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I have been fortunate enough to have tried on several in a consignment shop. Even got so stuck in one I had to ask for help from the (male) SA. Also have tried on several at home. Never had a fitting though.
    Susann_Gardener

DutchCarla
    Count me in

Add me to the list of want to.
    I wish i had the figure for a slim waisted gown.

I would love to wear a wedding dress

For everyone out there that wants to try on a wedding dress just do it. As others have mentioned, David's Bridal is a great place to shop. They sell way more than just wedding dresses in store and even more dresses online. If purchased online they can be returned to the store within two weeks for a full refund. They will treat you well whether dressed or not. They have some great sales and a discount rack to help you find something you like. I have made genuine friendships with the SA's at my local store.

Count me in also but add that I would like to re affirm my vows with my wife.

I have only ever tried one on once and only for a very brief time. But I would love to own one someday, and even possibly have a vow renewal with my wife in one if circumstances were to permit.

The most I ever spent on a dress is $80 on a wedding dress, It was tormenting me.
    It was marked down from $800, in my size, how could I resists!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I have a genuine fascination with ALL types of dresses. House dresses, cocktail dresses, prom dresses, party dresses, casual dresses, LBD, wedding, mini, maxi, doesn't matter; if it's a dress, I'm going to at least consider wearing and/or owning it.

Karen

Banned Read only
    Any bride in need of a bridegroom, let me know. I'm all suited, buttoned-up, and bow tied daily for work (and because I LOVE to be!) but to have a beautiful bride on my arm, walking down the aisle, and being wed? OH yes. The absolute epitome of romance. I've actually done that before, a couple of times, once for a friend of a friend who's TG and was just dying to be a bride! It was originally just supposed to be for some photos, but by the time the "wedding day" arrived, we'd decided to make it an actual wedding in the clubhouse of my friend's apartment complex. I wore my tux, and my bride wore an incredibly gorgeous and formal ultratraditional bridal gown, veil, tiara headpiece, the whole nine yards. In hindsight, had I known just how formal her gown was going to be, I'd have worn white tie and tails. Seriously! By the time the wedding started, I felt as if we were actually being wed! That's us, right before the organ music started and we started down the aisle. I had to remind her to put her blusher down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BowTied; 02-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.

I love formal gowns and I would absolutely love to get dressed up in a wedding dress. My wife looked stunning in hers, I'd love to get photos of me in a (larger) copy. If anyone wants a CD bridesmaid...

I would love to have the experience of picking out and trying on some wedding gowns. If my wife and I ever renew our vows I believe I will be wearing a gown. I don't expect to buy an expensive new one plus the cost of all/any alterations but she probably wouldn't allow me to buy a used one just for the possibility of "Bad Mojo" so it would have to be new but for me it would have to be at discount store pricing. And that would be AWESOME!

Banned Read only
    Here's another "wedding" in which I got to be a bridegroom and be wed to a beautiful bride. I was in a nice suit and bow tie rather than my tux.
    wedding2.jpg

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Yes I have. It was wonderful!!!# Em
    Living with a heel in each world.

Just recently I have thought of this, I don't know why...
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

I have a wedding dress got it at a thrift store for 35 dollars a couple of years ago beautiful lace and beads feels wonderful to wear it
    hugs
    Ronda

I have been married about twelve or more times, to different people.

I have tried on probably about a hundred dresses in that time also.

I used to arrange mock weddings for charities and sporting clubs.

Good fun whilst it lasted. Nobody really knew about me, many tried to guess what was going on. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

As said, there's not much opportunity to wear a wedding dress, apart from the obvious, but when I saw this one in a friend's shop I just had to try it on.

Image028.jpg