Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What does being a man mean to you?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Contessa View Post
    Hi

I consider myself as a feminine male, so to me and me only that isn't a man. A man to me would never let himself wear women's clothing. I said me I believe this. I think that having a penis still makes me male and having breasts slightly changes that. I'm feminine as I have been on HRT for going on three years. I believe that a man will perform as a man. By perform I mean with a woman sexually. Crossdressers do that all the time. How I feel is not the way all should feel I am a transgendered person. That means I am different. No I am no longer a man no matter how as a man I look through my make up. I must Identify as a trans woman all that see me. To myself I am a feminine male.
    So I guess I'm not alone here. I always cringe very subtly and invisibly when that word "man" is applied to me. I'm male by all evidence, but I've never really embraced masculinity by any more than a sort of experimentation. When I was growing up, I spent an inordinate amount of time and energy studying other boys and men to determine how I was supposed to act and, presumably, eventually feel. As I once wrote in a song: Once it all seemed so simple/pretty good at playing the role. I'm a pretty accomplished actor and mimic; that's how I learned to cope. Never really grew into the role and found a place that was comfortable; it was always like playing a role or carrying a mask around.

In fact, I believe that the effort of studying and play-acting severely limited my career development and general "success" in life. So many here write about demanding, traditionally alpha careers from which CD is a time-out escape, of being happy "normal" husbands and fathers, of being nuts for sports or cars or whatever. I am very handy and can fix the car or remodel a house, but those are just learned skills that are certainly not gender-exclusive.

I had one faltering, unhappy marriage relatively young (22) and then was alone for 25 years because I knew there was something different about me and didn't feel it was fair to enter into a permanent partnership with an unsuspecting woman who would likely have cultural expectations that I couldn't meet. I was never motivated to father children. I enjoy the role of grandpa to my wonderful second wife's grandchildren, but it's just another role; I've seen it done by others and learned that gig too. It has its moments, which do make me wonder what if, but...

But, there's always a melancholic backbeat of gender ambiguity and discomfort. I don't really feel like one or the other, and I don't see that ever changing.

One weird thing is that I may have learned the roles so well that no one suspects. I had a brief relationship fifteen years ago with a woman who mentioned several times that she liked decidedly masculine men, and I asked her why she liked me, then. She was taken aback and wondered why I would respond that way. We lived in different cities, and at the time, I was also going out as my feminine persona pretty regularly out of town. So, to me, I felt androgynous at best but came across to her as comfortably masculine.

The line you have identified between "man" and "male" is profoundly significant to me. The latter is a physical, biological fact; the former is a cultural construct that doesn't interest or fulfill me.

I may have been born with a man's anatomy but I do not feel that fits who I am really so I have been completely dressed as a fe male or femmale for almost 7 years. I am not one of the people that I loathe. I don't like men now I know why. I was never the hard shell person you might consider as a man. I am more comfortable as me. Thread is making it easy to go back with those that consider themselves as TS. I could not do the back and forth 7 years ago, and I can't discuss it here. So anything I can say can't help any one here. Sorry
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Skirt Enthusiast Michelle Cheli's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone goes through what I can only describe as "bi polar crossdressing", but there are times when my mindset will swing from wanting to dress as Michelle to a testosterone fueled fantasy of being some badass in an action movie....to be honest sometimes I think of Michelle as another distinct personality in my head, like one side of a coin. So I guess what I'm saying is when I'm a man, I'm a man.

[QUOTE=Michelle Cheli;4031681]I don't know if anyone goes through what I can only describe as "bi polar crossdressing", but there are times when my mindset will swing from wanting to dress as Michelle to a testosterone fueled fantasy of being some badass in an action movie..

Oh yes I agree a well, that sounds about right
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.