Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man in a dress or the inside woman?

Even with as much as I put on to look as feminine as possible, I'm still a man in a dress. I'm not good with trying to sound more feminine voice wise and I'm pretty big for the dresses I wear. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them though!

I 'm a man in a dress- and proud of it! I am feeling a lot of things that I would describe as feminine, just as many women feel many things that would be described in our culture as masculine. I want to wear feminine things when I am feeling feminine, and it is generally when relaxing or in reflective/observing pursuits, which approximates when women choose them as well- [ie. why wear a skirt when digging up the garden]
    We are all beautiful...!

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    When I'm presenting as male, that's the mask for me. "Man", applied to me, makes me cringe every time.
    Me too! At the end of the day, I just am who I am on the inside. I suppose it's a mix of stereotypically male and female attributes. I feel much happier, more at ease, and more natural expressing the female ones. When I dress the way I feel (feminine -- and appearing as convincingly female as possible), I'm not becoming someone different.

I'm just expressing a part of myself, that I typically keep hidden. It makes me feel happy! It makes me feel alive ... perhaps even euphoric on occasion. I don't understand why, but then again who among us does?!

Granted, it doesn't happen too often, but there are times I'm pleased to express the male aspects of my identity too. I think it's maybe going too far to describe myself as a "dude in a dress". Yes, I am aware that biologically that's what I am, but the whole reason I'm wearing a dress in the first place, is that there's not exactly what you'd call "a dude" inside the body wearing the dress.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Beautifully put, Ilene.

I don't consider myself a woman. I don't feel I was born with the wrong physical gender. In an odd way, it kinda seems like that would be easier to accept, a better defined "box", perhaps. Instead, I have this inexplicable desire to adopt a feminine appearance, to make myself "pretty". Not that I would evoke that particular description in most observers, but then that's not why we do it.

Some time, we must compare sea stories. I'll buy the beers.

I also fit into the "man in a dress" category. I still have no understanding of what drives the feelings I have or the desire to present as female. I do not feel I am the wrong gender, but like others I do experience periods of a strong desire to dress and present myself as female. I figure my personality drives me to do anything I do to the best of my ability. It strikes me that the same drive to "do my best" also fits when I am dressing. So when a dressing opportunity comes along I put forth the effort to display a feminine appearance. Its not easy based on what I have to work with. I guess I enjoy the challenge.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Marie View Post
    Beautifully put, Ilene.

Some time, we must compare sea stories. I'll buy the beers.
    Thanks, Kelly. You know... there's a certain romance living with The Mystery of "why". I just follow the call.
    And... what part of Texas? I was an honorary Texan (so to speak) having living in Corpus (teaching aviators), and SAT (business) for many years. Loved my place on Padre. BZ, shipmate.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

SJW and Proud of It! Christina D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJoanne View Post
    For me, it's very much a case of becoming a woman so far as is practicably possible, to the point that a therapist who knows both of us told me that it was like two different people. It's a complete "getting into the role". The guy is off doing something else. That's just how it is for me.
    This is me 100%! Well, I don't go to therapy, but if I did, I would hope that this is how I (we?) would be perceived. Beautifully put, Joanne, thank you! :-)

I am 100% a man. I'd prefer to not wear makeup and a wig. I feel totally comfortable who I am. My wife is the one who is encouraging me to be more feminine so now I have breast forms, hip pads. I have to admit I do feel more sexier the more I look like a women.
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Tricky one this as I still have the same me there when I'm dressed but it's somewhat set to one side and a different me takes the lead.

Also while not wishing to get too deep on this, is there not a difference between being a man or a woman, male or female, and feeling male or female. Don't we learn those things during our upbringing? So the more we dress, the more we learn to behave female. In effect in "feelings" terms we become somewhat Bi. For those who go out with the intention of blending in then just being a man in a dress won't work. Walk and mannerisms are, even by females, learned so we learn them to. We're just selective as to when to use them. If I'm shopping enfemme and I interact with a SA, I do it differently. There's a thread running at the moment http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...y-in-girl-mode and those replying seen in general to have different dressed behaviors.

While when dressed my female feelings rise to the top, I know that if however some neanderthal picks on me my male self will quickly kick in. I may have on stilettos but I won't have forgotten how to throw a punch if needed.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Definitely a man in a dress. I have no desire to be a woman. I just really like dressing up and looking pretty.

As I said in several previous posts I have no desire to impersonate a woman. I am a man and when I dress in a skirt I don't even want for a moment to even vaguely resemble a woman. I dress in what I find most comfortable: skirts. I dislike trousers and if it wasn't expected of me to wear them, I wouldn't. That one aspect makes me even more different than women, as they, these days, prefer trousers to skirts. I do not wear wigs, jewellry, make-up, or paddings. I do not shave parts of my face.
    I feel complete empathy with those who are different than I. As I get older I become bolder and venture on my porch to pick up newspapers or sit on my balcony. I live on a relatively busy street with lots of cars and transit buses going by, so, I expect that I was seen by some people. Whether they recognised me for what I am or not I have no way of knowing. I still am not brave enough to venture on the street dressed as I am.
    I have gone to a couple of crossdressers meetings, and was warmly accepted as a man-in-skirts, even though they all looked like women. Of course, I travelled in drab and changed.

When I am dressed I am most definitely NOT a man. When I dress in woman's clothes it is because I am feeling very feminine and feel the need to match my exterior with my feelings. Also there are times when I feel very feminine inside even thought I may not have the opportunity to dress as a woman.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Wearing a dress there is nothing masculine about me, I can shop for all the lingerie I like without any feeling other than will the bra be comfortable and the less than stiletto heels will be something I can walk a mile in.
    When I go through the mens department it is because it is the shortest route to the ladies fashions.

As a man? I do the same thing but I still feel conscious of the fact I am not wearing a dress and I probably don't fit in as well when I am feeling the padded bras and looking for other fashion items.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    "A man in a dress" has a different meaning for me than it apparently does for you. When I think of a man in a dress, I think of a man who wears women's clothing but doesn't try to look like a woman. He may have a beard or bald head and that's his "thing".

When I dress, I try to present and act like a woman. The daughter my mother never had. Of course, that doesn't change my personality, my likes and dislikes, my taste in music or my social and political views. There's no split personality. It's Homer on the inside but Krisi on the outside.

Regardless of how I'm dressed I'm still me, with all the same interests, attitudes etc. However, I do behave slightly differently when I'm dressed as a woman. Some of the changes are enforced - eg you can't stride out the same way as you would in trainers & jeans when you're wearing a straight skirt and 4" heels. Others are more subtle (can't think of a good example offhand!) And other bits of behavior don't change, eg I find myself still giving way to and holding doors open for 'real' women.

I always try and pass. So As much as I can, I am the want to be women. Of course this doesn't always happen as I am not good at makeup and hiding my "Man" features, as in big hands, feet and bone structure.

Just a man in a dress for me as well though there's a part of me that wishes I could mentally and emotionally cross that bridge. I really wish I could get into that frame of mind when the occasion arises

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Judith96a View Post
    However, I do behave slightly differently when I'm dressed as a woman. Some of the changes are enforced - eg you can't stride out the same way as you would in trainers & jeans when you're wearing a straight skirt and 4" heels. .
    Concur in full, Judith. It's almost incumbent to honor the dress. I mean, how could one possibly wear a dress land move about like a clod? No. The Dress demands a certain flow about it, the way it hangs. A walk, a grace about you; a manner and personal affect evolution is as important a part of the dress as undergarments, bra, stockings, etc.
    Put on the dress. It just happens.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I think I am still looking for what I want..
    I do want to pass and look like a woman as much as I can. I do find myself act differently in same issues - poses for the camera for example, giving a big smiles to me throw the mirror and try to move more feminine.
    And with all that said, it is strange for me to be just "man in a dress", but i don't feel like not a man in the same time....
    I must say I am very confused...
    I guess I need more time to keep processing (prefer dress... with my wife....)

Ilene, well said. I to am still a man, but love to feel, and free my inner, feminine. I feel more gentle and caring and loving when I can shed the learned male behaviors and hard shell I have built to hide her. Julie

Aspiring Member
    For me it is the inner woman when dressed as a woman although I am still in the closet. There are some things I do like about being a male but for the most part if I could turn back time after my divorce I would spend all of my free time as a woman.
    It is hard at least for me to switch back and forth from having nail polish on my toenails to keep my body hair free. I want to grow my hair our but give in to peer pressure about getting it cut. I have more women's attire the men's clothes.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Inner woman. I hate being male, I hate what our dippy culture expects me to be, and I would have been much happier had I been born female. I've never considered any sort of transition, though, because what currently exists along those lines doesn't remotely appeal to me. Anything less than a hypothetical chromosomal reboot is insufficient to me.

So I quietly, privately crossdress, not because I can't hope to pass (I can't), but because it serves my inner... not sure what to call it. "Need" doesn't parse correctly. I don't care about presenting myself in a certain way to the world. I don't think I'm explaining it well so I'll just stop here.

I am so much more than a "man in a dress." The feelings that accompany me when dressed are so euphoric. I sometimes think that I would like to become a full time CDer. I've had an opportunity to be Sabrina for several days, and I hate to have to dress drab tomorrow.
    Love, Sabrina

Whew...my man clothes are the "costume".

Banned Read only
    For me it's definitely the woman inside, and I am fortunate that my wife accepts this side of me, both in and outside of the bedroom. It took me a while to accept this side of myself. Now how to deal with the manly man side which keeps roaring it's ugly face