Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If dressing was socially acceptable.

If dressing was socially acceptable.

Let's consider for a moment that the barriers of clothing and societal attitudes were accepting would you cross dress and how far would you go?

In other words, if the barriers of gender were removed from the clothing as an identity association, how would you react? Would you identify as male, female or both? Would you dress male, female or crossover with your mood?

I know I would still enjoy lingerie and I would not hesitate to wear a skirt, dress or heels as I saw fit. I would enjoy getting dressed to the nines for a night out but I would also enjoy climbing into a pair of jeans and sneakers. I think this is pretty much the ideal that GG's enjoy that we are denied.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

If the barriers were removed there would be no need to crossdress. If that happened I would still wear skirts and heels.

True Foxy, if there would be no outcry, then it wouldn't matter what we wore. But it would be nice to get all dolled up for a night out, and then the next day wear jeans and a sweatshirt to tend the yard.

Unfortunately, our society does judge a book by its cover. I myself am guilty of this as well: I can't help but look at the be-bop boys in their size 50 jeans, crotch hanging somewhere around their knees, and thinking "What circus is in town?"

We all have our little prejudices, sadly.

GypsyKaren
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie-Lynn

Unfortunately, our society does judge a book by its cover. I myself am guilty of this as well: I can't help but look at the be-bop boys in their size 50 jeans, crotch hanging somewhere around their knees, and thinking "What circus is in town?"

We all have our little prejudices, sadly.
    Truer words were never spoken. As far as the subject at hand, I would still wear misses pants and jeans because they fit better and are more comfortable, and I like misses tops because they're not boring.

Karen

I would dress fem most of the time but when fixing the car etc jeans and tshirts. then on sundays i could laz around in my nightdress and wrap (satin)

Kimberly, you thread stealer. lol. I had the same thought when replying to another thread.
    Ah, freedom! Freedom to choose whatever you want. Isn't that idealistic. I'd dress the way I felt. Period.
    [SIZE=4]Sophia[/SIZE]

I would continue doing what I am doing. Wearing a skirt or dress one day or jeans or pants the next. However, all of my clothing would be female. Maybe someday. I don't know any GG that wear dresses or skirts everyday.

Hmmm?

If there were no societal barriers, I would dress in women's clothing openly but would save the breast forms and butt padding for special occaisions.

Patty

I would do the same as I am ....except more of it. I would wear feminine clothes, 95% of the time and be able to feel so good about myself!

a feminine guy in a skirt

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley
    Let's consider for a moment that the barriers of clothing and societal attitudes were accepting would you cross dress and how far would you go? Kimberley
    Kimberley, If the gender lines and society stigma was not there I would be just want I want to be today, which is a guy who like to wear feminine clothes at times.

I would always present myself as a guy, but I would wear a mix of clothes depending on my mood and what I needed to do for the day. Some days causual skirt, feminine top, heels. Other days jeans, tee, running shoes. And others skirt, tee, running shoes. Meeting days, white shirt, tie, slacks, and wing tips. Or skirt suit, ph, 3 in heels. And possibly Skirt, white shirt and tie, 2in heels. A work around the house day may be a long jean skirt, durable femme top, work boots and a two day beard.

I would be like many GG's are today, but most likely I would be a bit more feminine. I would only ever be in just my own hair, and wear little to no make up except for maybe lipstick. If wore bras they would be in an A cup with no forms or enhancers.

I would just be a feminine guy that wore a mix of feminine and masculine clothes.

KimberlyS

P.S. And yes I can dresses fully including a wig and makeup and will continue to do so if I go out to protect me and my family from what society could do to us. But when I do dress fully I just feel like a guy in feminine clothes. HEY that is what I am. A guy who feels comfortable in feminine clothes at times.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Rearen
    Kimberly, you thread stealer. lol. I had the same thought when replying to another thread.
    Ah, freedom! Freedom to choose whatever you want. Isn't that idealistic. I'd dress the way I felt. Period.
    Great minds think alike dear. I say we organize a letter writing campaign and send a few hundred thousand emails to Jean Paul Gaultier to revisit the CD lines of years gone by, but to keep at it until someone wakes up....

I would also dress as I felt and probably 90% of the time it would be "fem". However I just cant see running through hill and dale with a camera tripid and 50 lbs of equipment in hand wearing stockings, heels (get stuck in the mud) and a skirt.... So for that it would be drab... hiking boots, jeans, etc. Still the mental image is quite humourous. "Help me I'm stuck" Where's the panic button? Aarrrghhhh!

Hugs,
    Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

No You're Not
    If it were socially acceptable, admittedly, it would be less fun. The maverick aspect of crossdressing, being able to break down new barriers is part of what I enjoy about it. But I guess the social normalizing of crossdressing will hopefully be the ultimate result of repeated exposure of our lifestyle to the rest of society, but then I am sure there will be new stupid rules to be broken.

What a great thought!

If only attitudes would change in our lifetime! I am sure I would dress en femme most of the time. I love the feel of women's clothing and feel more alive when dressed!

Joy3

LOL Patience is a virtue, my dear.

Look at the strides that 'alternative lifestyles' has made in the last 30 years. Now imagine the advances we will make in the next 30. Too sudden a change in the fabris of society is not always a good thing.

Aspiring Member

Smile

If gender attitudes were eliminated, I would still like to wear skirts, skirt suits and dresses as appropriate for where i am going as I find i am so much more comfortable in a skirt.
    I find femme jeans and slacks fit better. Depeding on what I am doing, i would wear them as well, as when working with the type of work I do, they are the only practical clothing to wear.
    I on the whole find Ladies clothes more comfortable, they are made of finer material, and for me in a lot of circumstances fit much better, especially shoes, as I am blessed ( or cursed ) with very narrow feet.
    Ladies clothing gives one much more choice of what we can wear.
    When i am wearing a skirt, and fully femme, even though gender roles would have been eliminated, I would still wear my wig, and appropriate make up, so that I could still be the lady that I am

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley
    I would also dress as I felt and probably 90% of the time it would be "fem". However I just cant see running through hill and dale with a camera tripid and 50 lbs of equipment in hand wearing stockings, heels (get stuck in the mud) and a skirt.... So for that it would be drab... hiking boots, jeans, etc. Still the mental image is quite humourous. "Help me I'm stuck" Where's the panic button? Aarrrghhhh!

Hugs,
    Kimberley

MMMM! Women in hiking boots and shorts. I love that! Just as long it's not Rosie O'Donnel
    [SIZE=4]Sophia[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Rearen

MMMM! Women in hiking boots and shorts. I love that! Just as long it's not Rosie O'Donnel
    So I assume Roseanne Barr is out too?

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The women in those polygamy cults do. :cheeky:

Quote Originally Posted by alisoncdnj
    I would continue doing what I am doing. Wearing a skirt or dress one day or jeans or pants the next. However, all of my clothing would be female. Maybe someday. I don't know any GG that wear dresses or skirts everyday.

If there were indeed no societal attitudes and barriers, it wouldn't really count as dressing would it :-) I mean there wouldn't be special male and female sections, jeans, slacks and t-shirts would be unisex and most cosmetic companies would find no need to have gender specific advertising??

Personally, as I suppose most other CD's, I would adore the freedom to wear what I want, when I want. What might be most fun is wearing the same clothes, lingerie and jewelry as my bride to be on our wedding day!!!....If only such a dream life were to become reality!!!! Sigh

Perhaps I just don't get it, I mean, maybe I'm being really dim, but, if 'the barriers of gender were removed from the clothing as an identity association' how would you dress 'fem'? How would you dress male, or crossover? There are no feminine clothes to wear, wearing a skirt will feel just as drab as wearing trousers does to you now. You will, in a sense, make all clothes drab. Do you LIKE drab?
    Look at it like this. Women once crossdressed by wearing trousers. Now, they wear trousers and don't crossdress. So to a crossdressing woman, wearing trousers doesn't really do much, does it? (FTM CDs please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
    To all those who feel more comfortable in a skirt, ask yourself why. Is it actual physical comfort or is it because they are a female garment? Do you really want to remove it's feminine status?

As Sonia just make me think, is 'equal clothing rights' being confused with the right to 'crossdress openly'? They aren't the same.
    Just a thought, what do you think?

Take care
    Last edited by uknowhoo; 03-02-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Well put Maria! A thought worth introspecting over for most of us I suppose. The mystery and aura around "feminine clothing" constitutes some of the attraction to such clothes and CD'ing. DOing away with that might just make it plain ol' boring, cos it becomes mundane.

I wonder if dressing has something to do with a deep inner need to challenge established social mores and rules, go against the grain and tread dangerously the boundaries "socially acceptable beahviour", as defined by the "normal" elements of society?

Sonia

Wow, asking that question on this forum? Is anyone going to actually say anything other than "I'd still wear womens' clothing!" at all? I know I'd be all over every dress, skirt, heeled shoe/boot, and any other piece of apparel or accessory that looked feminine. My reasoning is because womens' clothing is exciting, colorful, and varied. This is just one of the many reasons I'm drawn to it.

Of course, I'd keep jeans, sneakers, and such too for when I needed something practical, for doing things heavier types of work.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy gg
    The women in those polygamy cults do. :cheeky:
    There are a number of religious groups where women always wear dresses but hardly fashionable in any sense.

BTW. I like the new avatar Kathy. Great pic!

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To go one step further if we would live in equatorial areas where it is hot and humid eveyday would be still wear dresses? and the other acoutremont. Plainly wearing breast forms would give it all away and talk about being uncomfortable? Wearing high heels in the jungle just doesn't fit at all.

Just saw a film about the Waodoni people of equatorial South America. Prior to the 50's they typically wore next to nothing at all. Of course the average day was 90 degrees with 90% humidity. When they were converted by the missionaries they began to wear clothes.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

If it was acceptable I would wear women's clothes
    all the time.So many styles and colors to choose from.
    From jeans and shorts to dresses I would be in heaven.