Thread: Flying out en femme

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar

Flying out en femme

I'm juggling with on idea,planning a trip out of town and I want to go as Jennifer.What I would like to know is are silicone breast forms an issue with security? Can I wear them or is that considered a liquid? I checked with the airline about me traveling en femme they said it's ok.Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

Aspiring Member
    Well given that most of these breast forms are used by women who have had mastectomies, I think you're OK. I doubt they remove their forms to fly either.

My biggest concern would be the need to produce photo ID to get past check-in, get past security, and get past the gate onto the plane. Add to that customs, if it's an international trip. If you don't at all look like your picture, it may be an issue.

I will fly en femme when I get my passport neutralised. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It probably won't be an issue. If you go to the TSA site there's specific information about transgender people, your rights, their procedures and so on. I seem to remember there is also a form somewhere on there you can fill out to tip off the screener without having to shout it out. If you're not a TSA Pre-check person, then you'll go through the body scanner and you WILL trigger an anomaly. Someone will come pat you down. Alternately you can request to go straight to pat-down. Be polite and respectful and they'll probably be the same (can't speak for all TSA folks and there have been incidents, but they're rare.) First sign of trouble, ask for a supervisor -- they've all had the mandatory training.

Edit: Oh, ID. Won't be a problem. They can see past the wig and makeup. That's what they do for a living.
    Last edited by Pat; 12-30-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I've been working up to flying en femme myself (within the UK), so I've done some research.
    I made enquiries with airport security, who confirmed that they have no issue with passengers travelling crossdressed. They also confirmed that the only documentation that is required in order to enter security is a valid boarding pass. (So far as I recall, TSA does check your identity before allowing you into security - so there's one difference already!)

Security also stated that whether you are permitted, or not, to board the aircraft is determined by the staff at the gate (who are either airline staff or handling agent staff). So I made enquiries with the airline. They confirmed that if the gate staff can match you to your passport (or other documents) then you will be permitted to board. If not, then you don't board! Basically it's at the discretion of the gate staff.

This presents something of a challenge - how to be sufficiently 'disguised' so that I'm not recognised by anyone who might know me but still be able to be matched to my "male" photo. So I did a test. The last time that I flew, I had a quiet word with both the agent at the bag drop and the agent at the gate. I showed them my profile photo from here and asked them, "If I had appeared looking like this would you have been able to confirm that I'm the person in the passport?" The young girl (early 20s?) at the bag drop took several looks at the photo and my passport before saying, "Yes, I think so". The slightly older (mid 30s?) lady at the gate, took a good look at the photo, my passport and me and then smiled and said "Yes, no problem at all. Very nice, if you don't mind me saying"

Food for thought?

I did a round trip to Kansas this past August and spent the whole time en femme. I wore my breast forms, metal boned waist cincher, used my male ID and never had a problem. If a TSA agent asks why your picture ID does not match your presentation, just clearly state that your are Trans. You do not need to say transgender nor transsexual. There are exceptions to all the positive experiences, so just be prepared to be honest and not panic when questioned or delayed. The first time I flew en femme was just after they started the full body pat down if they suspected something, i.e. the buzzer went off when you went through the first scanner. I was wearing that metal boned waist cincher so I got pulled aside in the middle of all the carry on baggage scanners and other passengers as they explained the pat down procedure and then carried it out right there in front of everyone. I just smiled at he other passengers and got those sympathetic shoulder shrugs and looks as they walked by. Good luck.

Jennifer,

You can either wear them, carry them on, or check them. I use to fly out for 12 days, come home for the weekend and fly out again for years while dressed. Never had an issue.

If you do carry them on, most likely your bag will get checked. Just put them on top. I carried on a pair, cannot remember if I was flying drab or it was an extra pair. I had mine in a box told the TSA agent it is a box of boobies. He chuckled, discreetly opened the box, confirmed it and sent me on my way. Not a big deal.

Just make sure your ID matches your ticket.

My trip will be short Chicago to Indianapolis I could drive but this opportunity came about and tought Jenn should earn her wings,lol.I only have my drab I.d. and my ticket will be under my guy name,ladies thanks again for all the info wish me luck.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Fact is, it’s a cruel world out there.
    Me? I tend to stay as aware as possible.
    Others have done what you’re thinking but not me.
    The idea is to stay as SAFE AS POSSIBLE.
    They read biometrics these days, you know, so if you’re nervous for any reason… well, good luck.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Jennifer

I fly femme regularly in Australia with male ID, ticket in male name, etc. Absolutely no problem. In fact I am treated extremely well and have frequent interesting conversations with security and airline staff.

I appreciate that the US might be thought of as different. I hope she wouldn't mind but TxKimberly has an excellent blog that will give you all the information you need: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com.a...ly-pretty.html.

Enjoy the awesome experience.

There have been numerous threads posted here about flying pretty, many with instructions about how they did so. I know there was one within the past few months, I just cannot remember who posted it. Just run a search on the site.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Here's my experience:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ty!&highlight=

In response to your specific question, wearing your forms is a complete non-issue if your TSA Pre. Hurrah for TSA Pre!

Other notes: I showed my male drivers license and zillion times on my trip without incident. And, yes, Kimberly Huddle is the Queen Mother of flying pretty, check out her blog here: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/?m=1

Good luck, have fun! Hugs, Michelle

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    OK. Here's my TSA story. Shortened to save bandwidth. My forms were in the carry on.

In Las Vegas @ McCarran
    The TSA inspector while viewing the x ray showing my forms and high heels, "Nice! What show are you in, Hon?"

But, in DC @ Reagan the TSA freak pulled the forms out and spent 20 minutes going through the motions of testing for explosives.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    My forms were in the carry on.
    When I first started flying en femme it was because forms, wig and heels took up too much space in my carry-on bag. I had more space if I wore them instead.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

You girls who fly en femme have my respect. I don't really care about security, but people tend to drink too much when they fly and the idea of getting stuck in a tin can with a belligerent a**hole when I can't just walk away is terrifying.

I fly both US domestic and international as Richelle all the time. Never had an issue. Just be polite and follow instructions and you will not have an issue

Richelle

I guess there's always the possibility of an over-zealous security staffer insisting on inspection, but TSA regs clearly state forms are permitted whether checked, carried on or worn.

Not a great source of information but I remember Eddie Izzard having a stand up routine about the time one of his forms burst on a plane. Could just be a joke but double check to be safe

My ID matches my appearance,so no problem there. However,I do suggest that everyone BE EARLY for their flight ! Getting singled out for a pat down or whatever often takes some time that you don't have if you are rushing and there is no rushing the process. Being a visible trans person is a great education tool and helps the general population realize that we exist and sometimes have to do the same things they do !

Jennifer,
    Like most things we do, flying en femme is generally much easier than we imagine. Here is a recent thread which may be helpful

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...lying-en-femme

I had a wonderful experience, and there are several notes similar to those posted in your thread by girls much more experienced than I.

Most important thing you can carry is confidence. Without it, your experience is likely to be less than satisfactory. With it, anything is possible.

Wishing you tailwinds and smooth landings.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren