Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Transgender Archive

Digital Transgender Archive

A whole library of scanned printed material, 60s-90s: Digital Transgender Archive. Most of the material is actually hosted at Archive.org. I came across this material looking for JoAnne Roberts's books "Art & Illusion- A Guide to Crossdressing," which are here, along with what looks like the entire runs of the magazines Drag, Ladylike, and Female Mimics International, and a whole bunch of other items such as flyers for conventions. Hope it's of interest to some! I'm reading the first volume of JoAnne's books, which is really interesting/informative, albeit she keeps referring to products that probably went off the shelves a long time ago.

What an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty, neat collection of digital magazines. Read a couple of them. Really nice to see the old ones. .
    Part Time Girl

Silver Member
    Interesting! Would never have thought they were in existed. Thanks

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    This is amazing. Thank you!
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A trans friend of mine has mentioned it but I have never actually looked thru it.
    Maybe I will do that soon.

What an interesting collection. I never knew these existed. What a find.

Peggy,
    A nice find, I congratulate you.

Interesting to see the different presentations and change of language, descriptors, that change over time.

Words and phrases used then are not used now, also the different interpretations on the same subject.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks for the info, I already spend about two hours a day on things related to Cross-Dressing, now I'm going to spend more time.

I've always tried to tell myself that this is just fooling around and that I need a new Hobby but, all I can think of is I need a new dress.
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 03-02-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Silver Member
    WOW!! Thank you!

This is mind blowing! Incredible. Thanks for sharing this as I never would have dreamed this existed.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    OMGEEEEEEE thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing! That is really neat! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-Somthing View Post
    Thanks for the info, I already spend about two hours a day on things related to Cross-Dressing, now I'm going to spend more time.

I've always tried to tell myself that this is just fooling around and that I need a new Hobby but, all I can think of is I need a new dress.
    At least this is a free colossal time sink, right? And a nice trip in the ol' time machine, all those crazy fashions. I'm starting from the beginning with Drag and seeing all this mile high bouffant hair, by the mid 70s there'll be a lot of rhinestones and platform shoes...

Wow I have a few of the Tapestry mags and the first 6 or so issues of Ladylike. Every so often I peruse them for old time sake. Back then I was so in the closet and just starting to come out of denial, who would have thought I would be where I am now.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

So I've been spending way too much time looking at the Archive.org site. Lots of interesting stuff. It amazes me how a lot of things haven't really changed over the years. Reading some of the magazine articles, they were facing and discussing pretty much the same topics we do here today.

There are a few gems that I came across I thought are worth sharing:

The JoAnne Roberts books "Art & Illusion - A guide to Crossdressing" look quite good.
    There is some CD fiction that is tantalizing.
    One book on voice feminization "Speaking as a Woman" that is OK. Not great but OK.

In addition to the magazines and books, there are audio and video archives as well. I did find a few interesting things in this area. All of these are discussions about CDing and incorporate the SOs perception and acceptance. They also discuss some of the challenges they have had to deal with once the CDing came out.

I'm going to post the descriptions below for the programs along with hyperlinks to the programs. The first program with Helen and Betty, you need to get about half way through the program before the interview actually starts. The first half is not as interesting. The Helen and Betty material is a video, the Bobbie Thompson interview is just audio.

This third program presents an in-depth interview with well-known transgender advocates Helen Boyd and Betty Crow. Helen is the author of the book "My Husband Betty", which explores the relationships of crossdressing men and their female partners, as well as a follow-up, "She's Not the Man I Married", a more serious and expansive examination of gender roles in relationships. Betty Crow is a professional actor who has appeared on daytime TV in "All My Children" as a transgender woman, who also works as a web designer and 3D animator.

https://archive.org/details/Gendervi...nshipPart1_733

https://archive.org/details/Gendervi...nshipPart2_274

Author Bobbie Thompson, cis-gender spouse of a transgender woman, joins the show to talk about what it's like living with her now female spouse. Bobbie is the author of My Husband Looks Better in Lingerie Than I Do...Damnit!, a book chronicling the challenges of moving from disgust to acceptance with her transgender lover. She joins the IWTK podcast to talk about how disgusted and disappointed she was when Alan became Alana, the internal battle of gaining acceptance of the situation, the struggles of being transgender in a rural community, the advantages of Alana vs Alan, every day life living and loving together, certain physical aspects of the relationship, the roles they play and so much more. Bobbie is very open and candid about everything and isn't afraid to share their story in attempt to spread the word that people are just people, no matter what their life's journey. If you enjoy the episode, you can buy Bobbie's book by clicking on the link at our homepage!

https://archive.org/details/IwtkTransgender
    Last edited by sweetdreams; 03-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Wonderful to see things from the pre-Internet and pre-politics days in Tapestry, including photos of myself back then. I enjoyed it so much more than I do today.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    There are some simply amazing finds in this archive!
    For instance Coping With Crossdressing - tools and strategies for couples in committed relationships (4th edition) ... this pamphlet should be a sticky in the loved ones section I would have Been over the moon to have a resource like that the day I came out to my wife!
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

That is a fantastic website, what a find, just been reading a mag from the 80s and it reminded me of me.
    Thank you so much. Peggy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
    In addition to the magazines and books, there are audio and video archives as well.
    I will have to investigate further on the video.

I was on a 1/2 to an hour program local to Baltimore MD TV show around 1974-75, I think it was channel 13 at the time. This was way before any home taping. Always wondered if any of their taping still exist.

I lived in WASH DC area, so I figured the chance of any one I knew would see it. I still wore a wig at the time also.

Banned Spammer
    You can still get those products Joann Roberts recommends.

R.i.p. Joann Roberts great books.

There are other archives out there like female mimic,tapestry,forced womanhood,girltalk,centurion magazines and TG/tv shopping tg pageantry and more...
    Last edited by reinasblack; 03-05-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks for sharing. Discovering Ladylike was a major milestone for me in discovering I wasn't alone in my feelings.

Glad everyone is enjoying this find so much, I'm always snooping around for vintage material related to whatever catches my fancy.

The Helen Boyd and Betty Crow interview seems to be on YouTube as well, by the same contributor I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie Palmer View Post
    Wonderful to see things from the pre-Internet and pre-politics days in Tapestry, including photos of myself back then. I enjoyed it so much more than I do today.
    Reading these old mags I keep wondering if some of these people aren't participants on this board like you. The photos are great fun, 70s and 80s fashions were so whackadoodle! That's a good thing, btw.

WOW! An eye popping WOW! What a great find and window into the past. I'll be reading those for months. Bless whomever is responsible for saving all of this from the dustbin?

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

This archive is so interesting. I'm spending way too much time in there.

Another access to media I came up with over the weekend is the local library. For mine they have ebooks online that you can check out for free. I've been reading a couple of Peggy Rudd's books (My Husband Wears My Clothes and Crossdressing with Dignity). Really good material, free, and online. You might want to check out your local library....