Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out dressed – remember, its 90% attitude

First time out dressed – remember, its 90% attitude

Yesterday was my first time out where I would actually interact with other people. I had been out just driving around, getting gas, going to the beach when it was cold and I knew no one would be there but never around people. I’d been planning my debut for months; I would go to the Independence Mall in Wilmington, NC, I would do my best to look like a soccer mom out shopping. I wore jeans, a shirt and sandals. Just enough light blue eye shadow to tell I was wearing makeup, grey wig, 2 inch clip on hoop ear rings, a dainty gold plated necklace and a few gold colored bangles. The mall was a 50 mile drive which was pretty much uneventful.

I walked around the mall for a while just to see if I could judge how I would be accepted, out of all the people there only one lady gave me one of those sideways stares for more than a second. My confidence was building and I was feeling fairly comfortable. After a 50 mile drive nature was calling, it’s time to find a restroom.

I stood in the hallway for a long time looking at the restroom doors; women to the left, men to the right and North Carolina has public restroom laws. I wasn’t sure about anything except the fact that there was no way I was going in the men’s room dressed like that. The good thing about the women’s restrooms is that they have lots of stalls; I turned left and nonchalantly walked to the first empty stall, heart beating so loud I was sure someone would hear it. I took care of my business there, washed my hands and walked out into the hallway. No one had even given me a second glance.

I had come to the mall to buy a shoulder bag, so into JCPenny I went. I found a bag I liked and took it to the cashier counter; there was a 40% off tag on it. The lady was very professional; she smiled and told me that if I applied for a JCPenny card, she could give me another 15% off. I said sure and she ask me to answer a couple of questions on the credit card reader, which I did and all was well. Then she said “I need to see your driver’s license.” (You mean the one with a picture of me in a full beard and moustache? Yeah, that one). I had gone too far to back out so I gave her my license. She never missed a beat, took down the information she wanted, smiled, said thank you and handed my license back. I walked around for a while, really feeling good about everything. But that was about to change.

I walked out to the parking lot and my car was gone… I had left the keys in the car and was sure that I had locked the doors with the little clicker, but the car is not there. My heart sunk as I was thinking about how was I going to get home? I can’t call anyone to come get me, not dressed like this. I wonder how much a 50 mile taxi ride is going to cost. I called the bank and cancelled the credit card that was left in the car and called the police to report my car as stolen. The dispatcher said he was sending a patrol car and asks what I was wearing so the policeman would know who to look for; I said jeans and a blue shirt. I wasn’t going to try to explain anything else on the phone. The patrol car with two policemen showed up a little while later, I walked out and waved them over. I told them what had happened and then he wants to know if I have my driver’s license on me (you mean the one with my picture in a beard and mustache, yeah that one). They were both very professional, very nice and treated me well. They ran my license to get my plate number and gave it back. Soon a second patrol car shows up, now I have two patrol cars and four policemen with me standing in the middle of the parking lot. Then the mall security guy shows up in his car and two other mall security guys come out to join us. Now I have four cops and three security guards with me in the middle, the folks coming and going from the mall were getting a good show. The head mall security guy asked me if I was sure that I had come in that door, I said yes I’m sure. He asked me to ride in his car to the other side of the mall; there was another identical entrance and my car parked right where I left it. I thanked everyone for their help; they had all treated me with respect and were very professional about the entire incident.

The drive home was very thoughtful, “Well Nikki, how was your first trip out?” Just remember, its 90% attitude and if that’s the best life can throw at me, I’m in pretty good shape.

I'd love to hear about other first time experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images

onwards and upwards from there. Cool story

Nikki, Sounds like a great time. Good for you.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Wot a ride you have had.

That makes a great confidence booster and shows that there are intelligent people out there that treat you right.

I lost my car in a multi story car park once...... Yep all floors look the same and there was even a broken camera in the same place as the floor my car was on. :-)

Rock on Nikki.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are so right attitude is 90%.
    You did a fine job Nikki.

Brain f@rts happen whether dressed or not.

I loved your story. It sounds about like something I would do for sure. The older I'm getting the more I'm forgetting things. Seems like I don't pay as much attention as I should. Not saying you are the same but sounds like what I have done except I wasn't dressed.... I could relate though dressed or not, glad the car wasn't stolen.

Banned Spammer
    I love how professional shop workers are these days!
    No fuss, no hassle just getting on with their job

Ouchie on the car loss. I think we have all done something similar in the past haha

Wow.. What a first experience.. I agree 100% Attitude and confidence is everything..

Banned Read only
    I've "lost" my car several times at one of the local malls. I wish the malls would install poles with markers on them. Glad everyone treated you with respect. Maybe the North Carolina bathroom war has brought attention to the fact everyone deserves respect for whoever they are.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Confidence and attitude is all it takes.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Wow, congratulations on everything. Now that you have conquered most feared things for newbie's going out, the rest will be real easy. I am very impressed and happy for you. Thanks for sharing and bringing a little bright light to my day.

Nikki, the first time out is the hardest. But you did well and the confidence grows. Yep 90% attitude is the best way to interact with people.
    Part Time Girl

Enjoyed your flair for story telling, it is it's own art. Glad you survived the day, lots of new info to process I'm certain.

Silver Member
    Lost car? Use your cell phone to take a photo of where you are parked, pole signs and the entrance you used. I might help sometime. BTW, welcome aboard!

Great story, Nikki! I am planning my first out by myself adventure and hope I do as good as you did(minus the lost car!) I am planning to go to a mall in NC also but in Raleigh! I have checked it out in drab and know where to park and where the restrooms are! You did very well! Hope I can do as well! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

WOW that was one helluva first outing I don't know what I would have done. You seemed to handle it really well. I guess it goes to show how most people just don't care. You rocked it. way to go for a scary situation. You're definitely dressed to blend so that probably helped.
    Congratulations.

Sallee
    PS next time mark your location on your cell phone
    Last edited by Sallee; 04-04-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Lana Mae
    The first 20 minutes are scary, it's down hill from there. You'll do good, enjoy the ride home thinking about it.

~Nikki

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Oh my goodness Niki, there's no way I can top your first outing experience, wow what a fun story and it sounds like you
    handled it like a lady. I'm so glad your car was not stolen and you had such a good experience with all involved.
    With what you went thru going out dressed now for you is a piece of cake
    Thanks for sharing, Rachael Leigh

Oh Nikki. What a first day out! You gotta know that it gets easier from here. And you handled yourself and the situation perfectly. Well done, girl.

Hugs,

Kelly
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 04-05-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Hey Nikki,

Sorry, I can't help you with my first experience, it was over forty years ago and I can't remember it. But I can tell you one thing, after hundreds of times out, I have never had an experience like yours. I have had some absolutely amazing experiences, especially in the last couple of months, but you get the trophy girl.

Jeri
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 04-05-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Up until the lost car sounds like a good outing

Well written story! Loved it and glad that you took a positive away with you on that.

What I like best if the attitude advice.

Lauren
    Lauren Nicole DeHart
    Call me Nikki

Well written, and well done Nikki. Kudos for your accomplishments and how you handled the situation.

Karen

Have experienced similar Nikki....mine was when I hired a car in Paris to travel enfemme to visit a gurlfriend in Nantes...stopped at Beaugrenelle mall for a full makeover (makeup, hair & nails) and shopping (very expensive)...had a wonderful feminising experience overspent on a black pin-striped pencil skirt suit by G.Valli (which I fell in love with and wore out).. and then couldn't find my vehicle...I was dressed to the nines in heels and very tight pencil skirt suit....panicked and looked for nearly 2 hours and finally exhausted informed security about the theft...took them 20 minutes before they found it where I parked it LOL...I now use a GPS Hugs

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

To add...obviously this was not my 'first' time out....the key, the commonality for all encounters is confidence and attitude.. for me remaining an assertive confident woman worked...obviously with the makeover, my look was more than passable (albeit I am still feminising my voice)....attitude is the key