Thread: About "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin as Peter

About "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin as Peter

As a kid, I used to watch the movie "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin as Peter on (American) TV.

I got to a point where I started wondering if Peter was a boy or a girl. At first, I thought that Peter might be like me - a boy who wanted to be a girl.

I finally got up the courage to ask my parents who were watching it with me. I don't remember the conversation about it but I think they asked me why I wanted to know, and I said that Peter kind of looked like a girl. They told me that Peter was a boy, but played by a female actress. I guess that satisfied me, but I wanted it to be the other way.

Does anyone else have memories of watching "Peter Pan"?

As an interesting sidelight:

It turns out that Mary Martin was originally a dance instructor until a local evangelical-adherent burned down her studio citing her work as being too sinful for human nature.

It seems like the evangelicals haven't moved forward very much in the past 65 years.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 05-02-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I always liked that black and white version. It was black and white, right? This year I saw the Broadway play Finding Neverland, which was the story of how the play was created. Very interesting and very good. I think that most of the Peter Pan's have been women, or no?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We lived in LA then. My parents took me to see her/it live on stage back then!

I thot she looked like a girl at the time-----
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    There's a comedian called Paul O'Grady in the UK, but his rise was born from him dressing in drag as Lily Savage.
    I remember my nephew asking when he was about four, why that lady has a man's voice.

Trivia: Mary Martin was the mother of Larry Hagman (I Dream of Jeannie, Dallas).

Peter is almost always played by a woman. Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan, Allison Williams... just the way the part was written. There is a long rich history of crossdressing in theatre.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Christmas pantomimes in the UK always feature a girl playing Peter Pan. And in Cinderella men almost always play the parts of the ugly sisters.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I loved Peter Pan with Mary Martin! I understood that it was a woman playing a boy! Many many examples of this in history of theater! This is acceptable crossdressing! I played a washer woman for a cub scout skit! I heard some verbal noises not heard with acceptance as well as some facial expressions! So even in acting there are prejudices! Just my $.02! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

According to IMDB, it was in color.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The only memory I have about peter pan was using one in the hospital because If the nurse was not around to help me to the bathroom.

Hmm. Interesting little self-awareness here. I remember that when, as a little kid, I first saw the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan, I thought it was pretty strange that he was played by a woman. I was already crossdressing by then, but it wasn't until this very moment that I thought of that female-to-male dressing up as in any way parallel to my male-to-female dressing up.

Banned Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    The only memory I have about peter pan was using one in the hospital because If the nurse was not around to help me to the bathroom.

Haha most I've laughed in a week

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The nurse thought me calling the bed pan a peter pan was hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Peter is almost always played by a woman. Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan, Allison Williams... just the way the part was written. There is a long rich history of crossdressing in theatre.
    Forgot...Mrs Doubtfire
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

It may have been filmed in color but in my home in 1960 it would have been viewed in B&W. Strangely I never considered gender an issue when watching Peter Pan. The character was just an androgynous fantasy to me.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 05-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Perhaps to give the story a certain "flavor"? Peter was, after all. a different kind of boy.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I too looked forward to watching the annual showing on TV of Mary Martin as Peter Pan, but I remember my mother explaining to me right off the bat that Peter was being played by a woman, didn't have to ask. I was already dealing with gender stuff, and it thrilled me to see a bit of crossgender presentation back in the days of the early 1960's, LONG before gender variation became something that was seen as remotely acceptable outside of theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    According to IMDB, it was in color.
    But back then, most people's TV's were black and white. My family didn't get a color TV until the late 1960's, so Peter Pan (and everything else) was in black and white until then.
    My name is Carol.

I thought it weird that a woman was playing a boy when I was oh, about seven when I saw peter pan for the first time. When I asked my mom, she simply said that when acting it's acceptable for one sex to play the part of the other. The trouble was, when we had a school play and a boy played a female part, he was routinely ridiculed by all the other boys. So just like today, even though it's 'sort of' acceptable to do it, it still automatically makes the actor suspect for being gay or TS to a huge number of people. Whenever an actor comes out as gay, if he's EVER done any role as female or gay, we tend to hear the homophobes declaring, 'I knew it! There was just something about with the way he played [pick the role, peter pan, Tootsie, etc.], it was just a little too convincing!'
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.