Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill Cardio

Treadmill Cardio

I've been working on my diet/exercise for a few weeks now, as I was always a gym-rat but had a knee injury that sidelined me for 2 years.
    Now that weight has gone UP, and my knee has gone down, it's time to get serious. My 3rd cardio session was today, and I had set my sites on 1 mile/20 minutes, but made over 3mi in 1 hour. This session had 3 to 6.5 mph, -3 to +15 incline, anything to keep it moving around. My version of interval work I'd guess. HR never dropped below 110, and at peak did 157.. Not bad for the 57 years I've been around. Anyone else pounding the mill-belts? Hitting the running path?

Yeah on a treadmill. When I was young, I was a boxer and walk and an seven miles every quarter mile at full speed. So I do that on a treadmill. and at sixty five I can go about three miles that way now. We always use a treadmill to warm up and cool down after strength training. I love running. on get-fit I run a half mile after three exercises and also jump rope. After a mile of running.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    First run back last night after a week lay up. 2 levels of interval and a mile sprint. I used to only lift and do and do high rep work for cardio
    Had back issues with running on real roads before but this seems ok now. I still prefer assaulting mountains or very long walks outside though.

I spent the first part of the 1970s in an early version of mixed Martial arts and we RAN barefoot everywhere...then, it was Hockey! I grew up near Chicago and that was all we ever did...lots of cardio needed/used on all these adventures. Now these many years later, it's about keep fit and controlling weight...either way, it works

I'm lucky to walk every day running is still out of the question for me with my messed up leg.

It's walking on a treadmill with a 5deg incline for me. All low impact exercise these days; swimming, rec cycling and walking.
    I've punished my body over the years, now it's time to give this girl a rest, but still keep her in shape!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Started running again last week, havent done it for 6 months.
    I only run outside, 3,5km.
    This week I bought new running clothes, female tights and a mens shirt but it had a pink zipper, can you imagine?!

And no more beer during the week, only on the weekend. That's the heaviest part...

30 years of concrete floors have taken it's toll on my knees. Walking even gets painful at times. I just do the best I can and watch what I eat to maintain a healthy weight.

I used to run almost every day 2 to 3 miles but my knees signaled it was time to stop.

I've been using a Nordic Trac ski machine religiously for over 15 years. I do 15 minutes 3 time a week along with back therapy and then my ballet routine.

On two other days I follow a ladies exercise program (Fluidity) and walk 2 to 3 miles.

I also have to watch my diet and massive sweet tooth!

Best of all most of my exercise is inside and Linda and dress the part!

Last fall I joined a local health club for the sole purpose of using their treadmills for cardio. I go to the club four times a week, set the treadmill to a flat 3.5 mph (17 minutes a mile) and walk for 45-55 minutes. 3.5 mph is considered a brisk walking speed, nothing more. I tune in to any number of podcasts on my mp3 player and while away the time.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 05-03-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    OMG, I'm not an expert that's to intense wow,but pace remember you had a knee injury. I walk 3.0mph with a 15 incline for about 15 min to 20 min and then the bicycle, or the eliptical easier on my knees because of my weight.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I have a home treadmill and use it once or twice a week. Always dressed in my girly workout gear.
    I enjoy a good workout

I had heart surgery a couple of years back and used the gym, including a treadmill, to aid my recovery. But I tried to keep my heart rate to less than 120. But I found the whole gym thing boring, no enjoyment in walking/running, or cycling, and looking at a wall. So now it's back on my bicycle in the great outdoors. I try to do 25 to 30 miles 2 or 3 times a week, whatever the weather, unless there's snow on the ground, but sometimes the wind can make it hard going.

I am just recovering from a serious foot injury and have been told that I can no longer use a treadmill or my exersize bike.It was very expensive and I just gave it away to a friend. So now I have a Total Gym, a trainer twice a week. Upper body hettimg stronger and am losing weight. But not sure what I can do for lower body. Keep u the good work.

My daughter is encouraging me to walk every day! I have COPD and sometimes I get short of breath! It bums me out sometimes as I used to walk 7-10 miles over fields and in the woods! So if you smoke stop NOW! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I am a huge crossfit gal and have been doing it for over a year. While there are many people scared they will get hurt, the best thing to do is join, get the routines and then do them on your own. My lower half has never looked better and I am making progress on my top half now. If I didn't drink beer I wouldn't need to wear a corset etc but that will never happen.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Yeah, an exercise thread! This helps me get motivated for the upcoming warm weather and exercise season! I've done triathlons in the past and want to do another this season. I can't stand running and cycling indoors, so it's all outdoors for me except for the pool and some weights. I've been fortunate to stay healthy and injury free in the past and find that starting slow and building slowly is the key. I also do a run/walk strategy for running that helps on the knees and other joints.

And to tie this thread back to crossdressing, I have a LBD that fits me like a dream and will look so much better with 10-15 lbs off. Thanks again for the motivation! Hopefully I'll post a pic in a couple months in the dress.

I have always been active in walking and cycling and I did go to the gym quite regularly but recently I spent some time with a trainer and she showed me a good mix of exercises, especially those to keep my core strong. I have found a mix of cardio exercises and various weight training routines to be very useful and I have lost weight. I avoid big weights as I don't need muscle especially in my upper body. My trainer is a big fan of the stair stepper/stair master. The ones in the gym have TV's attached so I can watch Jeopardy and I don't have to stare at the wall.

Good luck to all the exercisers here.

Genderblur Francene Lola Dupree's Avatar
    I love to exercise but running inflames my knees. I like the crosstrainer for cardio, and I train martial arts regularly.

Banned Read only
    Go outdoors. Even if not en femme. Better out than in. Be vital. Grow strength.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I do the treadmill or elliptical every morning, and weight training 3 days a week. I have gone from a snug size 16 to a comfortable fit in size 12 in about 6 months. I have lots of cute running skorts, racerback tops, and sports bras. I will soon be riding my bike early mornings, seven miles a day. I usually wear capris, a sports bra, and sleeveless running top. I love all the benefits, plus I can wear clothes that I haven't worn in years. I forgot all about a lot of the short skirts I had...BONUS!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Taylor, I would recommend you give consideration to inclining the machine to around 1 degree. This gives your joints a more natural angle and more replicates the road resistance you'd encounter while on a track. While I commend you for doing it, your body will also get used to doing the same old routine. Maybe varying the speed/incline here and there will keep your workouts more profitable. I been studying the benefits of our beloved treadmills now for years and these are the things that seem to work best. Anyway you do it, glad you are at it!

1 hour on the eliptical + 15 min on stair climber usually 5 times per week. Used to weigh 235 was 174 this morning.

So then...2nd day.. Beaten up a bit with yesterdays 3 mile mill-hike, I resigned myself to a mere 1.5 mile 30 minute go, and still got my cardio time in...For me, Cardio being any continuous amount of time over 20 minutes where my HR is over 110. Ideally, 110 to max (around 160), and anywhere in-between but, 110 bottom number,more or less. It was then off to core work, stretch-out and shower. Gotta keep it going!

Back in my younger days, all exercise was a breeze, and most things I never bothered training for, I just did them. Forward many years, and a few operations later (some very major), and the best advise from anybody is to watch what you eat, and just keep active. Walking is a great start, for anybody of any age, but after a while you want to get your heart rate higher, so a weights session, and cycling, a couple of times a week does wonders for me.
    What ever you do, and for people like Tama, who seems to know what to do, please seek professional advise to make your workout time the most efficient it can be. And the key word for our time restricted society, is EFFICIENT.