Thread: Need to find a therapist in SE Wisconsin

Need to find a therapist in SE Wisconsin

Nikkilovesdresses just finally said, go start a thread about finding a therapist in you area. Her comment struck home in that I am struggling to find an appropriate therapist that both I and my wife will find comfort in. There are lots in the Milwaukee area that list Transgender as one of their areas of expertise, but it is really a pig in a poke to know which might be good for us as a couple. My wife of course struggles with my CDing and wishes it would go away

So if anyone knows of one that you would recommend, it would be very much appreciated.

Here is one listing of some
    https://therapists.psychologytoday.c...187&rec_next=1

Thank you,

Traci

Hi Traci, I can't suggest a therapist in SE Wisconsin, I live in NE Illinois just below the Cheddar Curtain, but can tell you how I found mine. I sent emails to a number of therapists from the psychology today listing and narrowed my search to two after the initial responses. I had further communication with the two and made my choice. I found all were willing to meet with me, but only the two had actual experience with the CD/TG community. The one I ended up choosing has been wonderful and very helpful for me. I suggest reaching out to some that sound like good possibilities and take it from there. I'd be happy to give you the name of the therapist I see, but she would be an hour or more drive for you depending on where in the Milwaukee area you live. I wish you success in finding a good therapist!

I read through a few of the Milwaukee potential counselors. Years ago, I was a bit disappointed when I went to a referral service in Michigan. The counselors usually pay to be listed. I suspect that they just check a box " [X] Transgender" meaning they will talk to you. One that I found, did not want to see me again after I mentioned that I had a few fetish interests. One called me a sinner. One suggested I purge my stuff. One wanted to cure me.
    You should read their online statements carefully--if they don't mention gender or transgender in the first four lines--it is probably a minor part of their practice.
    As Tracy H. points out. Sometimes the therapist must diagnose something that needs a cure in order to get insurance to pay.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 06-07-2017 at 11:02 PM.

My therapist was very cool about the insurance aspect. She diagnosed me as dealing with depression and anxiety. No problems at all with the insurance company.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Traci, if you don't find what you need through this present thread, try posting again in a few weeks, as many members don't visit the site all that frequently.

From the responses here so far it seems you should be as thorough (and honest) as possible via phone and/or email before actually meeting, and I think you should seriously consider the hour's drive to try Salina's therapist since her recommendation is about as positive as you're likely to find.

FWIW I've seen 4 therapists in my life. One was useless, one was ok, 2 were excellent, and I think I was very lucky to find those 2 - so be prepared that you might have to shop around, and don't let that discourage you. Once you do find the right one, they can transform your life- though of course you only get out what you put in.

Good luck!
    I used to have a short attention spa