Thread: Taking my first steps out in public (long post alert!)

Taking my first steps out in public (long post alert!)

I’ve been mostly lurking here for the past few years, but recently I’ve been making good progress with my CDing activity, so I figured I’d drop by and share an update.

Warning: Long, self-indulgent post to follow. Executive summary: Timid CD who was afraid to leave his living room finally manages to start stepping out into the world, and finds it really isn’t such a difficult thing after all.

I’ve been trying for the past several years to do a better job of embracing and enjoying my femme side, and though I had made a decent amount of progress, I was still held back from my ultimate goal of getting out in public by a pretty common problem: I don’t pass. At all. Like, not even close. Now, I’ve gotten pretty good with a makeup brush, and a while back I invested in a fairly high-quality wig, so I can certainly make myself look less amateurish than I did ten years ago, but I have enough self-awareness to know I’m not going to actually fool anyone. Being 6’4” certainly doesn’t help, but I don’t have a particularly androgynous face or body shape, so I doubt I’d have much more success even if I were a foot shorter.

And for years this was the huge sticking point. I really wanted to get out and about, but I was sure folks would point and laugh when they saw what was obviously a guy in a dress, and I didn’t have any interest in that. So most of the time, I’d get all dressed up and stay in my living room, or maybe go out for a late-night drive just for the sake of getting out of the house. If I were feeling particularly brave, I might take a stroll through Walmart at 2 in the morning, but I didn’t really think of that as being out in public since there weren’t many people around, and I generally tried to avoid the ones who were there. It was a way of getting my feet wet a bit, but after a while, sneaking around at night started to feel kind of silly.

Then, a few months ago, I was randomly flipping through my copy of “My Husband Betty” (which I’d previously read years ago), and happened upon this quote:

"Crossdressers who wish to pass *physically* are aiming too low. They would be much better served developing the confidence, character, grace, and manners that will allow them to pass *socially*. The former is living in the shadows; the latter is blossoming in the light.”

Or, in other words, Quit trying to blend into a crowd of women (which, at least in my case, is nigh impossible), and instead learn to be proud of being a crossdresser. Now, over the years I’ve seen plenty of variants on the idea of “It’s all about confidence!”, but never really believed it. But for whatever reason, this quote actually resonated with me. So I don’t pass…well, so what? What exactly did I think would happen if I went out and people saw that I was clearly a man in a dress? I’d probably attract some extra attention, which, as a naturally shy person, I wasn’t crazy about, but I figured I’d get over it. Some random strangers might think I’m weird? Well, I’m 41 years old, which is way too old to care about the opinions of random strangers.

And just like that, going out en femme suddenly seemed like something I could actually do. So I started to look for an opportunity to get out and mingle with the normals a bit. This past April, there was an ideal chance: I had a rare weekend when I didn’t have to work and my wife was out of town (not to give the wrong impression: she’s amazing and completely supportive of my crossdressing, but has balked when I’ve suggested she come out with me while I’m dressed up, and if she were around we’d almost certainly find something fun to do together rather than me engaging in a solo activity).

On that Friday night, I got home from work around 7:00, did a quick change, and headed out. There’s a Kohl’s nearby that stays open until 11:00 on Fridays, and that seemed like a good, low-key place to start. I got to the store around 10:00, sat in my car for about 10 minutes to psyche myself up, took a deep breath, and walked in. I browsed around for about half an hour, during which time...shockingly, nothing extraordinary happened. As I expected, there were a few other customers around, and they mostly ignored me. One of the young men working there did a double-take when he saw me, but didn’t say anything. I tried on a few outfits but didn’t really love any of them, so I headed out empty-handed. One of the female cashiers gave me a big smile and said “Have a great night!” as I was on my way out of the store, and I tried my best to respond in kind. I got back to my car without having a panic attack. Victory!

The next day, I figured I’d ride my momentum and up the ante a bit: I decided to hit the local mall during actual daylight hours. After waking up early to undergo my transformation, I pulled into the Macy’s parking lot around 10:30 in the morning, and without giving myself any time for second thoughts, got out of the car and walked through the main entrance. This trip was a little less successful; after about ten minutes of browsing, I started feeling a little paranoid that everyone was staring at me, and retreated back to my car to gather myself. I decided on a different plan, and headed to a smaller mall a few towns over, so that there would be a little less pressure. This went much better: I parked outside the Bon Ton and walked straight in with as much confidence as I could muster. After giving myself a few minutes to equilibrate, I found, much to my surprise, that I was completely relaxed. There were several other customers browsing around, and they reacted to me in more or less the same way as if I’d been dressed as a guy: they paid me very little attention and minded their own business. I tried on several dresses and found a few that I needed to add to my wardrobe. I was a bit nervous about interacting with the cashier, but she was actually super friendly and cheerful. As I headed out the door, my main thought was “That’s it? That’s what I’ve been too scared to do all these years? That was easy!”

Since then, I’ve managed to have several more outings en femme—just shopping trips, nothing too adventurous so far—and everything’s been great. On a recent trip to a nearby Macy’s, I did start having some serious butterflies, but when I wandered by the cosmetics department, I noticed that my favorite artist was working at the MAC counter, so I decided to stop by to say hi. She’d helped me out plenty of times when I was shopping in guy mode but had obviously never seen me en femme before. Her response was something along the lines of “OH MY GOD YOU LOOK AWESOME YOUR MAKEUP IS FANTASTIC I LOVE YOUR DRESS,” which of course calmed me right down and put me in a makeup-buying mood. I got a similar response from another one of my favorite folks at a different MAC counter a couple weeks later…and when I mentioned to another artist (whom I hadn’t previously met) that I felt my contouring and highlighting game was pretty weak, she handed me a mirror, grabbed a brush, and gave me some quick tips, then told me I absolutely HAD to come back at some point for a full makeover so she could give me the whole tutorial. (Have I raved about MAC recently? MAC is awesome. Everyone should buy lots of stuff from them. Seriously.)

And the negative responses I’ve been SO afraid of all these years? Pretty much nonexistent. The closest thing would be this past weekend when I was at Lord & Taylor hunting for more pretty things to buy. I looked up at one point and saw a sixtyish guy standing next to the women’s fitting room (waiting for his wife, I assume) just STARING at me. Not even attempting to be subtle about it. I thought, “Eh, screw him, let him stare, I have bargains to hunt for,” and went back to my browsing. Five minutes later, I looked up again, and he was in the same spot, still staring. If I had a little more sass in me, I would’ve marched right up to him, struck a pose, and told him to go ahead and take a picture already. Maybe next time.

But positive responses? Plenty! Every single cashier I’ve interacted with has been incredibly friendly, and the young lady who rang me up at Sephora the other day told me she loved the lipstick I was wearing. A saleswoman at Macy’s greeted me with a huge smile and said “It’s lovely to see you here today!” Several random folks have walked up to me to tell me that they thought my dress was really pretty, and, in one case, that I looked “fabulous.” I have to admit, I do love a good compliment, and if the tradeoff is that I have to deal with some creepy dude staring at me every now and then, well, I’ll take that deal.

Probably my favorite response was when I was walking through the mall and noticed a small group of younger folks (late teens, I’d estimate) coming towards me in the opposite direction. Just as they were about to pass me, one of the girls in the group looked over at me with a surprised expression on her face and said, loudly, “Oh my God!” I didn’t respond and kept walking, but a couple seconds later, apparently realizing her faux pas, she followed up with an equally loud “You go, girl!” Definitely put a smile on my face.

So that’s my story. It took me years to work up the guts to walk through that first door, but once I broke that barrier, everything else has been far easier than I expected. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would be at the point where being out in public (at least in the relatively safe space of a shopping mall) fully en femme was starting to feel completely normal, I’d have told them they were crazy.

And if there’s anyone reading this who wants to get out in public but is afraid as I was for so long: Seriously, just get out there. It’s tons of fun! All the things people around here say like “It’s all about confidence!” and “All of the barriers are only in your own mind!” are actually true. Worried about not passing? Again, I don’t pass at all, and it really doesn’t matter. Feel like you’re too shy? I absolutely GUARANTEE you that I’m shyer than you are. Give it a shot, it’s easier than you think.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Now off to plan my next adventure…

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Xenia, I did read all of your story. I am fairly new to going out and pretty much all you have said is true. I don't pass but in all the times I have been out the reaction has been zero. It's a good feeling escaping the house isn't it!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

X8,

Nice!

And so you have a question?

Stacy
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Platinum Member
    I made it from beginning to end as well. "You go, girl!"

I read all of your story Xenia, Indeed that is the way it is. You survived a pass by by teenagers also. Cool! They can e a bit more bad.. Yet, that was and awesome response.
    Part Time Girl

Xenia, I was feeling the same way until joining this forum. Now, when I have the rare opportunity, I know I can hold my head up high and be just as fabulous as you. Love the story, keep on believing in and being yourself.

Your story is pretty much mine.

I was afraid of the negative reaction.

I've been blown away by the positive reaction.

At Nordstrom, they want me to come in, whether I buy or not (and I have bought a fair amount of things). My nail techs have been spectacular; one was giddy when I told her (and I now have a three hour session planned with her come mid-August and she is almost as excited as me; I'm going in as a boy and coming out as a girl; nails, toe-nails, and makeup).

Over the last eight months, I haven't had one issue.

Perhaps my most surprising reaction was my first time in the ladies loo. Went in; no one. Came out of the stall, two women at the counter. Ok, I can deal with this. Until the lady to my immediate right says, "that's a beautiful dress." Blew me away. I thanked her (I have a guy voice regardless of clothing).

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Xenia this is a super great story and reflects so much on many who fear going out. So many myself included always assume
    we will be laughed at or pointed at because we are tall or just have to many manly traits but once we figure out most people just have their own thing going on we realize it's all good and we relax. That's why now for me it's become pretty routine to be out just as if I'm going out en drab, being dressed is now just the same but so much more enjoyable

Xenia,
    Well done, girl. Add yourself to the list of great ladies here who've proved that there is generally nothing to be afraid of. Even when we encounter a negative reaction, it's usually easy to ignore, or if you've got just a bit more "sass", respond to it with big ol' smile. That's the one reaction from you that they're not expecting and it will almost always immediately disarm them. You don't need to make it a confrontation. Just be nice and most people will be nice right back at you.
    Looking forward to hearing about that next adventure.

Hugs,

Kelly

I equate walking the mall en femme to doing the Fire Walk. You need to have some confidence, take your shoes off, and go for it. Afterward you wonder what you were afraid of.

Good for you Xenia. Look at you go......

Banned Read only
    Xenia,
    I haven't read , " My husband Betty, " but the quote is so right, passing has different meanings to people, to be realistic we can't pass 100% because we aren't a woman , so all we can hope for is to be accepted for what we are , a TG who looks convincing as a woman . I've had that said to me several times now and I'm more than happy with that.
    From the first time going out socially which was about eighteen months ago I didn't feel nervous, it just felt right, the confidence comes when you have to deal with the little mishaps with something you are wearing, because the thought of passing fades away.

The turning point for me was the 2016 Xmas party when I had a meal and danced with other members of the public . The new hotel posed more challenges because it was full , I still arrived dressed to check in, called in at the leisure complex to get my dressing robe for my swim the following morning and then changed into a strapless dress for the party and walked from my room passing so many people to get to the main ballroom. The next morning two of us dressed for breakfast and sat in a crowded dining room not one stare or difficult moment.

Since then three of us from our social group attended a pride week to represent the TG community, obviously we had to dress so we were on display in some respects to young students and other people attended the event, again not a single comment .

Confidence is the by word , OK dress appropriately and do your best with makeup, without going OTT.

The end of the quote is lovely, " To blossom in the light !" What a wonderful way of wording how you feel !
    Last edited by Teresa; 06-30-2017 at 07:06 PM.

I had my first outing alone the other day! No pitchforks and no tar! LOL I had to reflect on it a lot but it was a truly positive experience! I had 3 teenage girls look back and giggle among themselves and that was all the attention I got! I plan to be out again next month! Best wishes on getting out and about! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Xenia,

I to read the entirety of your post. It encapsulates the experiences of so many of us who, having existed in the confines of your own 4 walls, suddenly discovered that the world isn't full of hateful people ready to pour scorn upon us.

And you're absolutely correct it saying those who are hiding behind their front doors, petrified of all the bad things that will happen if they should go out in public, are deigning themselves the opportunity to truly express and experience their true selves. Your paragraph;

And if there’s anyone reading this who wants to get out in public but is afraid as I was for so long: Seriously, just get out there. It’s tons of fun! All the things people around here say like “It’s all about confidence!” and “All of the barriers are only in your own mind!” are actually true. Worried about not passing? Again, I don’t pass at all, and it really doesn’t matter. Feel like you’re too shy? I absolutely GUARANTEE you that I’m shyer than you are. Give it a shot, it’s easier than you think.

is right on the money.

Welcome to the "Out and about " club. Looking forward to reading about your future experiences.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good for you now do it again

Maybe the guy staring at Lord & Taylor was wishing he was you.

Yes u are transgender not a woman. Once you accept this and muster up that first bit of courage , the whole world opens up. It is better to be the unicorn in the room than part of the wallpaper. Strangers walk up and just start talking to me, it happens all the time. Mostly when I'm by myself. You have the right attitude, just be your self.

Hi Xenia,

What a wonderful story! The quote from my "Husband Betty" really struck a chord with me. Sometimes we can try so hard to be something were not, when in fact we need to learn to be comfortable being and expressing ourselves.... which is often easier said than done!

Good on you for taking your first steps out into the world!

Excellent post - thanks for sharing

Love a good success story! You go girl!

SaraLin

Hi Xena,
    A beautiful, and empowering story.
    There is so much fear about expressing my femininity. As I slowly and cautiously find out, there is a lot of acceptance that I have never experienced due to that fear.

Rebecca

What a great story Xenia! Thanks for sharing it and I love the quote from My Husband Betty. It's stories like yours and so many others that gave me the gumption to go out my first time a few months ago. Next Thursday will be my 3rd time out, going for a makeup lesson, 2 malls, then capping it off with my therapist appointment. I went to Sephora in drab clothes, was there for about an hour, and I've learned that eye contact and a warm smile go a long way. I felt like I belonged there even drab, and 95% of the people didn't even notice me.
    Last edited by Salina; 07-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.