Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too feminine

Silver Member
    I'm in the age appropriate age. Back in my youth it was pretty dresses and skirts. I loved wearing nice women's suits. My sisters were off and married so I garnered their left behinds. Both had real fem clothes. I also liked crepe nylon dresses.

I'm in the age appropriate age as well, however at 55, I still feel I can do the things I could do in my 20's, but somehow, the next day the body says "no way, never again". I'm sure the same is for fashion, be it male or female. I don't want to be wearing old peoples fashion, but young peoples fashion is so not me as well. Some brands offer classic style, which is so appropriate even if you are in your 30's or 60's. Just shop these brands and you will have an outfit for life.

I have a Minnie Mouse PJ. top.
    Only the wife gets to see that.

I do wear skater skirts and jeans for 16 year old girls fit me better as do the tops.
    Not too feminine though.
    Frilly and taffeta is for a party or cocktail night.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've never worried if something was too feminine after all feminine is what I strive to project when I'm enfemme. At 58 I do consider if an item is age appropriate, I also consider if it is is venue/occasion/time of day appropriate. Lastly the item must be figure flattering I don't care how stylish or cute something is on someone else if it doesn't fit me well and give me a sense of feminine confidence I will not wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillian Faith View Post
    I also consider if it is is venue/occasion/time of day appropriate. Lastly the item must be figure flattering
    Exactly... I pick over my female apparel and select what I think is right for the occasion. If it is not flattering, I will not wear it, period.

Silver Member
    Terri, I remember when I first started getting my own wardrobe and going out for the first outings picking clothes so they weren't too feminine. It was when I was really really struggling with the beginnings of self-acceptance (still tackling this elephant to this day, but getting closer). I would buy a DRESS but in a medium blue or maybe brown not pink or even more so not FLORAL! Pink and flowers are feminine, what i someone sees me..DUH you are in a DRESS! This now sound very silly but it made sense to me back then.
    I think many here have gone through this as well. Now I almost do the opposite, but age appropriately and go for the more feminine of women's fashion when I go out fully dressed. Part of this evolution may be because I do regularly wear PLAIN black women's panties, PLAIN white women's socks, and PLAIN women's jeans, so when enfemme i take it much farther.
    Don't sweat this stuff just enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by ricki4678 View Post
    Exactly... I pick over my female apparel and select what I think is right for the occasion. If it is not flattering, I will not wear it, period.
    Amen Ricki

I favor a less is more style. In an ideal world, my femininity would speak for itself and I would not need to go extra frilly just to prove something. While there is nothing wrong with frilly attire (!), it can be easy to overcompensate.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't dress for anyone else. And, Sherry can't look too fem for me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    On the few occasions I've been out, and in the future, I wore age appropriate clothing. However, at home, since its for my pleasure, anything goes!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    I realize this probably comes across as a sacrilege, but these days I feel like dresses are just too feminine for me.

Don't get me wrong: I love the things & think they're awesome. But I've gotten to a point where they're really just "not me" anymore.

I didn't go too heavy into them this go-around, because I kind of already knew that in the back of my mind. I do have two short, simple, comfy ones I picked up like a year ago... Throw on some tights, and I'm good to go.

But again, they're not for me, personally. The whole concept of a dress being too femmy? Yep!

It's fine. I used to love wearing them (and skirts) back in the day, so I've certainly had my fair share & my fill.

And against an overall "backdrop," I've been gradually & increasingly moving away from feminine looks & clothing over the decades. I've found that there are other ways to explore & express the femmy side of things.

Oh, don't worry: Some of my fashion & work-out leggings can get pretty darn feminine sometimes.

However, there are quite a few things now that are simply just not for me anymore. Eh, whatever. It happens.

Reality Check
    In real life, not all women think of themselves as "feminine". Female of course but not "feminine". If you're 6'2", 250 lb and built like Hulk Hogan, you're not going to come off as "feminine" no matter what you wear.

I love very frilly things, but they make me too self conscience to wear in public.
    Lace dresses and colors are ok but ruffles seem over the top.
    I saw a woman wearing matching pink pants and top the other day and thought "that's a lot of pink".
    Then I thought "it's ok. She's a woman and can wear all the pink she wants." I'd sure like to wear her outfit.
    Live and let dress.

I'm not sure about "too feminine," but in some cases, I've seen things that are simply "over the top." Some of the robe & gown sets from the 50's with seemingly yards & yards of marabou trim appear over the top to me. That may also have something to do with practicality as well... I don't know for sure.

Lacy PJs

Well, I guess it goes both ways. When I'm home all alone I tend to go for the "Normal everyday girl look" But when I'm with my Gurlfriends It's as sezy and fem as tou can get!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Woops, Sorry for the Fat finger on a small keypad thing. I meant to say sexy and you!

I'm not worried about being too feminine, nor to age-appropriate. I usually wear outfits that are not age appropriate.

But there are many overly sexual styles that I'd love to wear, but just aren't a good look for me.

When I'm buying clothes now, I look for clothes that I would wear out, not those that wouldn't be appropriate for me to wear out.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

The things that are too feminine, would only be the stuff that is so designed for the shape of a female body that I can't possibly wear it. Dresses designed for a wasp waist, tops/dresses with narrow sleeves for female arms, chokers for 11" necks, boots fit only for bird legs. Or the completely impractical ones, like wedding or ball gowns that would be constantly stepped on or tripped over; crinolines that would make it impossible to maneuver in close quarters. Fancy hats that would hit the doorjams. Ballet toe shoe/boots that make it impossible to walk. Oh yeah, and anything with button up backs, because I can't reach back there to get them all together. I only manage back zips by using the string and paper clip trick.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    In real life, not all women think of themselves as "feminine". Female of course but not "feminine". If you're 6'2", 250 lb and built like Hulk Hogan, you're not going to come off as "feminine" no matter what you wear.
    I don't believe anyone here in this thread is talking about coming across as fem to others.

We're simply talking about femmy articles of clothing -- and at best, *feeling* feminine in them (whatever that may mean to the wearer).

Sheesh, Krisi!

I know a few GGs ( including my ex) that are way past the spring chicken bracket that seem able to do a mix of appealing, tasteful and, yes, sexy with their clothing. I try to emulate that look. I think to myself "Would she/they wear this outfit". It's not always an easy call. Sometimes, there's a fine line between tasteful and street corner.

How nice it is that we closet dressers aren't burdened by such conundrums as "too feminine". Or too anything.