Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Similar behavior to crossdressing

Similar behavior to crossdressing

I came across articles about a behavior called maladaptive daydreaming. It bears an uncanny resemblance to crossdressing and describes the powerful attraction of an alternative reality. For those who wish a better insight into crossdressing I suggest you read these two articles linked below.

Some choice quotes from the articles:

He defined “maladaptive daydreaming” (MD) as “excessive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal or vocational functioning”.

This wasn’t just normal daydreaming. Aside from the sheer amount of time they spent doing it, the patients found it difficult to control. It was adversely affecting their work, studies or social life.

Individuals with MD describe a yearning for this excessively rewarding activity that is reminiscent of other pathological habits such as gambling, excessive internet use or unrestrained sexual behaviour. He believes it could eventually be classified as behavioural addiction.

"And when I was daydreaming," says Bigelsen, "the reward centre of my brain just lit up, like when someone on heroin is shown drugs."

Many people who are negatively affected by their daydreams have nowhere to go other than online communities that are often "sort of enabling".

"I spent years feeling alone and scared, like I was the only one on the planet that could possibly be going through this, I was completely ashamed and scared to death anyone would find out. It's time to end that. We're not freaks."

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...3107da28bf88f8
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...at_never_stops
    I want to be judged for who I am not what I am. Thank you for listening.

Comparing this CD with a "Maladaptive" daydreamer shall never be done!

We Crossdressers are not maladaptive nor are we technically daydreamers!

I wear a skirt and lippy so must adapt!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Yeah I agree, any similarities seem superficial at best and I don't see them related. I could imagine a CD or TS person perhaps developing this if they spent a lot of time daydreaming about a alternative life.

I never really had a name for it, I just called it pretending, but I used to have an elaborate story in my head I would develop usually before I went to bed as I was falling asleep. It always helped me to fall asleep, so I guess you could call it adaptive daydreaming?

There may be crossdressers that are afflicted with this maladaptive behavior or even a milder form of it, but as an explanation for crossdressing it just doesn't fly in my book. Crossdressing can have a powerful effect creating a quasi-addictive behavior in those who are prone to addictive behavior, but all the research that has been done on this and other gender expression "difficulties" show that the behavior seems to be based in some kind of gender reversal in the person's personality. It is just the way their personal gender sense operates and has operated for years. Any interference of crossdressing in their daily lives is more due to social expectations telling the person that their expression is contrary to the "traditional and stereotypical" model of male and female. As those expectations are relaxing considerably, gender expression that does not meet the customary, historical pattern are more acceptable. Thus the disturbance in those caused by the discrimination fades away. Those like us are being viewed more and more as just a natural variation in gender expression. Rather different, but within the normal range. But calling the behavior as maladaptive just doesn't seem to fit the verified evidence.

Another attempt to make crossdessing or gender variance into a mental illness. I had hoped we were beyond that

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    No where close I'm sorry and that is offensive to suggest that.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Well there seem to be some parallel symptoms, though I wouldn't go so far as to say they add up to an uncanny resemblance.

The codification of all human behaviour seems to be an obsession, with whole branches of research dedicated to it.

If you feel you fit the profile for a maladaptive daydreamer, how does that knowledge benefit you?
    I used to have a short attention spa

If I ever I read the horoscopes, I will often wonder how a few generic words can pertain to so many people. As I was reading about maladaptive daydreaming from the op, it felt eerily similar.

Sue, it is an interesting intellectual exercise to discuss MD and cross dressing behaviors and I do not find it offensive to explore the comparison. With many behaviors, there are areas of overlap but that does not mean one is the same as the other. It reminds me of the possible answer to type K questions we used to have on exams. “True. True. But not related.” For nearly all forms of gender variance, we are not dealing with an alternate reality but reality, who we are or wish to be.

I can see the similarities. At least in my head, there's a lot of thinking about and imagining various situations or just about different outfits. At some level, it's on my mind just about all the time unless I'm really focused on something else. The key for me is to be able to control those thoughts and not let them interfere with the other parts of my life. If it was such that I found it impossible to function or concentrate on other things (as these MD folks seem to be struggling with), then I would consider it a mental illness and seek treatment. Of course, that's true for any behavior - it's not a problem until it is a problem.
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Really now

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think people that post things like this are trying to find an excuse for why they CD.
    They think there has to be some deep seeded reason or trauma that causes them to dress.
    It can never be because "they were born that way or its just a part of their personality".
    Or perish the thought they just enjoy dressing as the opposite gender.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    An interesting read, I can't speak for others, but that is a very long way from where I am at as a crossdresser.

Silver Member
    "He defined “maladaptive daydreaming” (MD) as “excessive fantasy activity that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal or vocational functioning”."

I don't believe the poster meant it as a cause of CDing.

I think a key to MD lies in what is considered a 'fantasy activity'. A CDer, when not dressed, could well be engaged in some serious mental MD about CDing. To me, that would be a fit, if it was to the detriment of other social intercourse. An example might be a CDing husband's constant, totally absorbing wishing that the weekend would come sooner so he could dress.

I mean if you really wanna stretch you could compare crossdressing to acoholism, bible study, or French cuisine. Doesn’t mean that there’s any significant correlation.

Banned Read only
    Rubbish! That being said I will agree there are people who may be totally consumed by some activity..any activity. I know people who spend way too much time gaming. Or gambling. Or watching sports! Yes, that will lead to the amount of time left for personal interactions. Of course, if you drive a long haul rig for the allowable eleven hours a day, that may also lead to less time for personal interactions.

Why I wear women's clothing on occasion, I don't know. It has nothing to do with day dreaming. When en femme I actually get a lot more done than if I am en drab. All those domestic chores I do while my wife works outside the home do not get done with day dreams.

I wonder if the author has researched "day mares?"

Banned Read only
    Sue,
    Some so called experts put AGP down and offer this as an alternative.

AGP I feel fits me better, the daydreaming label suggests it's all part of our imagination and not a reality , AGP certainly is .

No we are not freaks, our wiring is slightly different , to some it affects sexuality and others have gender issues , most of it occurs in the womb so we don't have much say in the matter, we just have to learn to live with it .

Tracii,
    I explained how my CDing started at the age of 8-9 to my gender counsellor and she agreed with me that it was traumatic for someone of my age , it was when my GD started along with AGP . Obviously the seeds were sown for those events to happen .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-07-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Maladaptive Daydreaming? I have never heard such a load of old cobblers for many years, whoever invented that term must have been dreaming themselves, it's been said so many times before but some don't or wont listen and accept the mere fact that we were born this way ! no amount of stupid daydreaming can be linked to a cause for cross dressing and other issues.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I think it is like comparing apples to oranges! They are both fruits and that is about it! MD is a sort of non-reality! Crossdressing is very real! We are wired this way and that is not going to change! Best to accept it and live your life! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Crossdressing does take me into non reality a lot,and much fantasy life, and it can be harmful to real like relationships and functioning. At least for me.

If I had seen this upon returning to my cave after a dinosaur hunt, I might have considered it.
    Cross dressing addictive? No way. Cross dressing is so much more. An addiction can beat. I was born a cross dresser and I will die a cross dresser. An addiction is bad, cross dressing is only great, super, outstanding etc.
    Maladaptive day dreaming? Yes I do daydream about what I will wear. I day dream about going fishing, about what I will eat for my next meal, a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, petting and snuggling with my dogs and many other things.
    To me cross dressing is more than life. I was born this way and I am very happy to be a cross dresser. My PTSD psych told me that there was a pill that would cure cross dressing. I got up to leave and she stopped me informing me that she wanted to find out how I felt about being a cross dresser. A semi quote from a cartoon. I am what I am, I'm Cheryl the cross dressing man.

Sure we daydream. However crosssdressing is not dayreamng. We are what we are and some of us love ourselves and are a peace with ourselves.
    Part Time Girl

spent years feeling alone and scared, like I was the only one on the planet that could possibly be going through this, I was completely ashamed and scared to death anyone would find out.
    Sounds like pretty much anyone (and that means everyone) that has ever watched some kind of 'adult entertainment', or read that type of printed material. No one wants to admit they watched it, or that they EVER get excited by it. Even though practically everyone does or has as some point in their life. Might just be a peak through the opposite sex part of a Sears Catalog (yep, I did that as a pre-teen), or Sports Illustrated's swimsuit edition. No one wants to explain why they're getting turned on by anything. We're still mostly a puritanical society. Gee, 40 years ago I was sure that we'd have advanced more by now. But the old ways persist, maybe because WE felt guilty, we feel the need to pass that shame on to the next generation. What a colossal waste of time.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I can see where cross dressing could become the fantasy one daydreams about. I see this as two separate things that could coincide with some people. I'm guessing that too much time CDing alone could cause one to slip into this condition. That's a lot of coulds!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Not seeing the comparison myself. Crossdressers dress which is an active verb and based in physical actions taken in a physical world even if they're closeted. Daydreaming is by definition passive and is based in the daydreamer's head. While crossdressers may well ALSO daydream, the activities seem distinct.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.