Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something about me

Aspiring Member
    Steffi, I wish you a successful surgery and a quick recovery!

As I have gotten older, I realized the same things as you noted above. Life is a one-time gift and we have the right to pursue our happiness in it.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Wishing you nothing but the best! Thanks for putting things in our lives in perspective, it is so easy to lose our direction and not give the important little things in life the time they deserve. Praying for you, Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    ... I think in a guy's world, the success criteria is, "Whoever has the most toys when he dies wins."
    Actually, it's more like "He who dies with the most toys still dies." You can't take it with you.

Because I've often heard laughter is the best medicine, I remembered this joke from a while back, and thought for the situation, it was appropriate.

A mechanic was removing a cylinder-head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known cardiologist in his shop.

The cardiologist was there waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his bike when the mechanic shouted across the garage.

"Hey, Doc, want to take a look at this?"

The cardiologist, a bit surprised, walked over to where the mechanic was working on the motorcycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take the valves out, repair any damage, and then put them back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I make $39,675 a year and you get the really big bucks ($1,695,759) when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The cardiologist paused, smiled and leaned over, then whispered to the mechanic.....

"Try doing it with the engine running."

Steffi, our thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow before, during, and after your surgery, with many well wishes and get well soon's headed your way.
    Last edited by Kayliedaskope; 11-01-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Steadily, so true on what you say. Love life fully and without guilt with regards to crossdressing! After watching one parent ,a step parent, and a good friend pass away. Life is short and a lot of us are 1/2 way thru!
    Good luck and hope all goes well!

God Bless and good luck.

I hope all goes very well for you x
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Aspiring Member
    Steffi,
    Thanks for the inspiring message; and you are in my prayers.
    Michele

Besss you Streffi, I hope you get well and hope your surgery goes well. My Dad had to have his main one done. It was hard on him. Take care and tell us how it went.
    Part Time Girl

Best wishes for a quick recovery from surgery. Positive thoughts only. I would bet you are back in panties in no time.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Hoping the surgery is very successful.

Best of luck on the surgery. And you're right about being the true you

Good luck!!!! See you in DC once you have healed!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

Thanks again for all of your inspiring thoughts and well wishes.

But, it turns out that there was a little glitch that turned up tonight, just before I began the final prep steps.

The (medical) insurance company didn't approve the surgery. They didn't reject it either. I guess they didn't have time to decide if I was worth it. I was scheduled to arrive at 5AM tomorrow morning, the the hospital called at 6:30 PM to postpone the surgery to some future date TBD.

A real bummer. Even with all your support, I was still pretty stressed out about it. When I told my (adult) daughter about the postponement, I found out how much stress she was hiding from me to keep me calm.

So, I'll wait for a new date and start all over again.

I'll update this thread when I get a new date.

Again, thanks for all your support.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Hoping everything went well today and you're OK.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Hoping everything went well today and you're OK.
    As I said above, the hospital called me at 6:30 PM the night before the scheduled 5:00 AM surgery to postpone it.

The surgery was supposed to thread a mitraclip from my femoral artery into my heart to tighten up the leaky mitral valve between the two left chambers of my heart.

The insurance company rejected the procedure because it was "experimental" even though they have been experimenting with it for almost 15 years. Tomorrow, I need to talk to the insurance company to better understand the reason for rejection.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

D'oh! Sorry -- I posted without looking, acting on an impulse before closing up for the night and assuming everything above would be well-wishes. Joke's on me. Sorry about your insurance company. I've been down the "procedure done for decades is experimental" road before. Good luck.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Praying for you.
    And just a note-I have had several heart surgeries and the best thing I ever did was buy an electric lift chair "mine is a Lazy Boy" not advertising.
    Last edited by larry; 11-03-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Silver Member
    Steffi,
    I hate insurance companies!!

Maybe you did this already, but if not, have you considered getting a second opinion? It sounds like you did a lot of research so if I'm out of line, sorry.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    As I said above, the hospital called me at 6:30 PM the night before the scheduled 5:00 AM surgery to postpone it.
    I'll do it. I'm pretty good with tools and stuff. I mean, how hard could it be to.........

Seriously, keep us posted.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Sounds bad, but I'm bet you fly through the surgery! And thanks for the pep talk!

Sincerely, I can't wait to read more of your thoughtful posts in the future.

Your in my prayers I hope every thing goes great .WE all give you a big hug ! good luck .let us know if things went cool

Hope you get the insurance thing straightened out! It is a pity they control our lives and all they want is money! Best wishes for a healthy outcome! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    I'll do it. I'm pretty good with tools and stuff. I mean, how hard could it be to.........
    Thanks for volunteering; I might take you up on it. ;-)

It's actually pretty easy. All you need to do is to make a small incision in the femoral artery at the groin, thread the mitraclip into the left atrium of the heart, push it past the mitral valve separating the left atrium from the left ventricle and clip it on both sides of the mitral valve.

I'm sure the other doctors can take care of all the hard stuff like inserting the breathing tube down my throat followed by the ultrasound transducer and giving me just enough anesthesia to knock me out, but not so much that it kills me.

No, really.

It's gotten so confusing. The insurance company has a different story every day: (1) experimental. (2) not proven safe and effective. (3) doctor didn't give them enough information to determine if it was safe and effective. IMHO, they are just trying to avoid paying for it. There are several valid mechanisms to appeal this decision, particularly the peer-to-peer discussion between my doctor(s) and theirs.

I chose the mitraclip surgery because it doesn't require stopping ad restarting the heart and being hooked up to a heart-lung machine. I have a congenital neuromuscular disorder and both the heart and the lungs (or at least the diaphragm) are muscles that could be affected by the anesthesia. That makes both the mitraclip surgery and the more traditional open heart surgery more risky for me than the average 65-year old.

Even my doctors are equivocating now. They're not sure if my fatigue is due to the heart valve problem or the neuromuscular problem. At least some of them think it's neuromuscular, which mean heart surgery won't help me. Right now, I'm trying to understand what the disagreement is based on.

This surgery is only performed every couple of weeks, or so, so the next scheduled opening iis December 7 because of the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 11-04-2017 at 09:23 PM.