Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Rock.....dont we

my $0.02: I grew up listening to late 50s & 60s rock and roll, but still like some of the 70s. I also love classical music, like Wagner's Ring cycle, Magnificent music! I don't like most of the current popular music. I love the variety of the internet, it's awesome. The sound track of American Graffiti is home to me.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

I was in bands in the 60's loved rock and roll.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't think ones sexual preference derives what music they will or will not like.
    I will agree that gay clubs tend to play dance music because people want to dance and nothing more complicated than that.

......wastin` away again in Margaritaville...........

Junior Member Stephanie Voorhees's Avatar
    Brian Johnson of AC/DC said it all: Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution!

The best analogy I can come up with and this is what really confuses the hell out of people is if you were to make a an apple pie you would use a certain set of ingredients and if someone else were to make an apple pie they too would use almost the same exact ingredients. Makes sense so far we’ll what people don’t quite understand is if you equate a trans person to a particular recipe you will find you can get the same result with wildly different ingredients. In the end we are all different just like everyone else.
    You will find that most of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view.
    (Sir Alec Guinness as Obiwon Kanobi in Star Wars Return of the Jedi)

I love my Country music... but... BUT... yes, classic rock is on my playlists a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by mykell View Post
    i was firmly told LGBT folks dont listen to rock
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I'm curious, what kind of music was deemed appropriate.
    Me, too. What did they suggest you listen to? A strict playlist of Liza Minnelli?
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Ah-May-Lee
    I am a gay stereotype. I only listen to Judy Garland tunes and watch Joan Crawford films.

My style of clothes do reflect my style of music, Goth/Punk.

Edit: I'm also a "Rude Girl".
    Last edited by Amelie; 02-25-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I play drums in a 5 man garage band. We play stuff from 60s to 80s. We suck but it’s fun. Well, our cover of Hard Days Night isn’t bad, and we do a decent Rock And Roll Damnation by AC/DC.

I started playing drums last year at the tender age of 52.

Banned Spammer
    Having fun with friends that are into the same music, toss a few beers back and rock and roll.
    Doesn't get much better than that Marla.LOL
    There are some kids down the street that have a band and they are pretty good after about a year of playing together.
    I work on their guitars for them and even jam with them sometimes.
    First time James the guitar player came to the house to pick up his guitar and he asked me to jam with them and help them adjust their amps.
    I grabbed a guitar a cable and walked down there.
    His band mates were dressed like they were in Metallica or some metal band. They looked at me like James what is this old fart doing here?
    I helped James dial in his amp and the bass player too. I asked what other amps they had around I could plug into so they pulled out a really cheap solid state amp so I mic'd it into the pa and fired it up.
    Rippped out a few licks to warm up and the kids sat there I said OK what are we playing what key?
    Played Thunderstruck by AC/DC and had a blast playing with them.
    The drummer was 13 at the time and he said wow for an old dude you kick ass you want in the band? LOL
    I said no you all are too good for me I couldn't keep up .

Aspiring Member
    What puzzles me is how a crossdresser plays guitar. Or are you willing to cut your nails right back on your left hand?

Well if you really want the answer to what kind of music crossdressers listen to all you gotta do is refer to our handbook............"Rules For Crossdressing" ....page 102 section 36-28-34. It clearly states........... crossdressers enjoy all types of music, like clothes no single type, or style is right for all. Final answer.

I am a cross-listener. If the music grabs me it doesn't matter the style.

Bye the way I am music/ tone impaired. MY DNA does not have a musical gene. The only musical instrument I can play is a kazoo and then not well. I can't carry a tune in a bucket if I try to sing. I am the only person I know who was asked "not to sing" in junior high if I wanted to pass choir. I became a musical mime.

But I enjoy listening. I envy those who play an instrument effortlessly.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Banned Spammer
    susan54 you of all people should know there are no rules to CDing.

thanks for all the kind replies, even from those country folks....

Quote Originally Posted by DIANEF View Post
    Who the f... told you that! I love music of all kinds, especially rock, punk, metal, industrial; my son, who is gay, is the same. I've got everything from Strauss to Slayer in my collection. Tish and piffle for sure.
    i have indeed been served a big ole fat plate of tish & piffle.....it does not taste like chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
    Elitist come in all genders and I guess sexual preferences, good thing I wasn't there I've been in a confrontational mood lately. I hope it wasn't the person I met there during a visit.
    indeed....i believe it was, have cleared out much of the things i have accumulated in my time there, will make it easy to move out when the last straw breaks, pity....anyone else whom ive interacted with has been so accommodating
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Mykell,
    It sounds like the person concerned was just passing on their own personal likes and dislikes, I'm afraid the short answer to them is you are talking total BS !!!

The fact they were a male chorus has no bearing on their sexual preferences or their personal musical tastes . They were meeting as singers and not visiting a gay bar !
    the folks from the chorus were quite pleasant, at one point they wanted to measure something, one had left the tape "on the table" from wherever they came from, i had one in my backpack that i use for measuring on e-bay. i offered it and even quipped that even though i was not a girl scout i was prepared.....
    Quote Originally Posted by susan54 View Post
    What puzzles me is how a crossdresser plays guitar. Or are you willing to cut your nails right back on your left hand?
    what about the other stereotype, LGBT folks are lefties
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    snip .......
    ...but choral groups, as a group, tend to favor musical genre's that are... something other than rock. I can understand a savvy businessperson not wanting that chorus to be put off by a certain ambiance. Sure, it might be a one-night performance, but it would be a big one, in other words, good for business.
    and there it is.....ding ding ding ding.....its all about perception, dam your feelings......anytime i have felt uncomfortable here it has been this common denominator, i always feel like its "what do i do with this trans person" during events when they have events and folks meet them at the office in the club....

just had to vent.....thanks, i think i overthink it sometimes with this person but its getting to the point that im not and i need to move on to someplace im more appreciated even with all the good things that happen there.....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    OK, this person was wrong, clearly. Why they think LGBT people would have different musical taste to the general population is a mystery. BUT, stepping out the box a minute and looking back in, at least they appear to have made their eroneous statement with good intent in an attempt to please the visitors. If it had been a visiting classical orchestra they would probably have made the same incorrect assumption and therefore have made the same request of you. Sometimes in life we have to look through the detail to see positive underneath. Just saying, no need to bite my head off.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I have very much an eclectic taste in music from swing to reggae/ska.From rock to r and b,only music that leaves me cold is C & W (apologies to any country fans) god knows what that says about me
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

While I like Rock I’m going to totally stir the pot here:

Rock and Roll is dead.

Think about it all you rockers, who do you love? Chances are it’s a band from the 60s, 70s or 80s. The last great creative resurgence of rock and roll was the Grunge movement 20 years ago. When was the last time you heard a really great NEW rock band?

If you drive into the mountains until you come to the end of the pavement, continue down the dirt road until you literally hear banjos, you've arrived at my place.

Banned Read only
    So poodle skirts and rock & rolls don't mix? As a child of the 1950's and 1960's I grew up listening to rock & roll. I did not know country existed until I got married to a west coast girl, who dragged me to Felt Forum to listen to country. I'll stick to my Golden Oldies and poodle skirts, thank you!

Heavy metal, grunge or alternative rock are my favorites. I enjoy listening to Rage against the Machine or Queens of the stone age or Tool while I'm doing my makeup, it helps get me into what I like to call "Amber" mode.

The avvy pic isn't me
    Hello to my neighbor in Boise, welcome Amber.

I've been just kinda reading thru the responses and trying to keep my yap shut, and i'll try to say this being nice, but aside from the fact that I find modern C & W to be whiny, sad, boring and pathetic in it's personality, it's also performed by, and listened to by a majority of moral conservatives.
    You know the rednecks and the 'you have to be Christian, white and hetero' to matter types.
    Just my opinion of course, ymmv and after all music is subjective and if my lovely sisters here can get past all that and find enjoyment than yeeeehaawww! I can be a hypocrite at times...soooowweeeee.

I've gotten away from the hard rock station here in the Treasure Valley of Idaho, it's just gotten stagnant. In fact, driving is when I listen to music the most and I tend to stick with CDs and my choices are all over the place as far as genre. Just about everything but pop, rap, and oh yeah, c&w.

Actually it's mostly the singing and the lyrical content that irritates me about country. I love Ray LaMontagne, steel guitars with a rootsy soul voice, and bluegrass is nice.

At home, I've fell back into a fondness for classical (12 yrs ago I went nuts about violin concertos) now i'm crazy about the Piano. (check out Yuja Wang on YouTube....i'm in love).

But it does seem to be true that the gay nightclubs are all dance music. The whole Cher and Liza Minelli thing is getting old in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by susan54 View Post
    Well, I can play with active length nails!
    But, I go beyond the realm of cross dresser int trans. So called "real" women don't have a mandatory minimum length to their nails, so, short, long, it's all good!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

GBLT don't listen to whaaaaaaaa????????? Tell that to Joan Jett, Freddie Mercury, and a laundry list of performers as long as a summer's day! One of the things the GBLT community wants from the general public is to not be stereotyped! They say they want to make a good impression, and then turn around and stereotype? Really?!?!?

I just wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Spammer
    Cassandra you sure have your stereotypes down pat don't you?
    Most of your current C&W performers hail from big cities and haven't got a country bone in their body.
    I don't care for the new age country pop its just rehashed pop music and isn't all that good.
    There are old school country players out there and I will give them credit for staying true to their roots.
    I work with bands and to say there has not been a ground breaking artists to come along and change music forever has a lot of validity because we are over due.
    There are great bands out there touring you may have never heard of because they aren't riding on the coat tails of any new hot sound the record companies are pushing.They are publishing their own stuff and cutting the record companies out of the scene and that is a good thing.
    Go support your local music scene by going to shows and buying band swag to keep them going.
    There are so many great bands out there doing their own thing and 9 out of 10 could play circles around big name bands we all know from the past.
    The scene is vibrant and you should participate in supporting local venues by going and enjoying live music.

Makes me wonder why Karaoke is so popular at all the LGBT bars...

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!