Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with long hair...

For those with long hair...

How much does your long hair matter to you?

I know there are alot of different feelings people have about a guy with long hair, here are a few things i've heard about my hair over the past few years;

makes me look sexy, hot etc.
    tells people I must be a musician (which I am)
    makes me look like a hippie, punk teen or similar

It's never really caused me any problems, I've worn it up to school with a jaw clip and no one really seems to care. I know I want to keep my hair long from here till death (i'm 19) but I got to wondering if it's just as easy as that?

I get really upset when someone tells me I have to cut my hair before I can get a job even though I doubt someone can not hire you based only on the fact that you have long hair (unless it's a safety precaution)

I don't want to give up my long hair for anyone and so I shan't. it's much too much a part of me. So here I am wondering if i'm making a big deal out of nothing, the worst thing I EVER get is silly teasing and nothing more. Am I just making a big deal out of it?

P.S. Believe me, having your own hair is better than ANY wig. I can jump, skip, spin, lie down, stick my head out the window and even take a bath with it and I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off or coming out of place

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anima-87-388
    I know there are alot of different feelings people have about a guy with long hair, here are a few things i've heard about my hair over the past few years;

Just so long as they don't tell you that it makes you look like... a girl!

My hair was always short. Over the past few years I've let it grow, cut it, and am letting it grow again. It's just down to my shoulders now. I thing a few more inches will about do it.

What I like most about it? I love having hair that moves...

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    long hair yes i got long hair . my wife was after me to cut it ... tons of freinds told me you need a hair cut ... how many times my wife told me you look like a girl ... now it's all good hair in my eyes .... hair in my mouth ...hair every were ....washing and drying it it such a pain in the butt but i love it.......

I also have long hair. Im also much older than you, Im 47. I live on the other side of the country from you,north carolina.
    I'v had long hair since 1973. So everyone who knows me ,knows me with long hair. The only teasing I get is lighthearted from my dad!
    As far as getting hired. I have a very good job with very good pay and all the bennies available. Believe it or not I work in the nascar racing industry!
    Keep the hair, Keep playing music ( Im a drummer in a rock band), & keep the faith

While my own hair is fine when dressing, I just today ordered two wig's for myself. Why? different color ,and when Im staying at home sometimes I dont want to take the time to fix my own.

I am from Europe living in a big city, so it might be a bit different here. Long hair usually are not a big deal, though like with anything "not normal" you get some negative feedback from time to time, but nothing serious.

As for the job, it depends on what kind of job you think of. You will get trouble in jobs where you are a representative of the company, the on or other way. They care a lot for a uniform style. You will get less to no trouble in jobs where you either are "hidden" from the public or those with some individuality involved (creative jobs, sciences).

I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off
    Yeah, well, you're 19. Wait until you're 35.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

^^^ I said falling off , not falling out

long hair 4ever

over the years I've had mid back length hair afew times, and I'm at that point again. I will not cut it again for no one. I'm 39 now, yes it has effected jobs opportunity, just means you have to look harder for jobs that allow it. besides you cant do this with a wig.

so keep your long hair and enjoy it.

huggs

I had a long pony tail for probably 10 years. Just seemed to always tangle when I combed it. So whacked the pony tail off recently. Bummer is still have tangles just no pony tail. So letting it grow out again. The hair can be long, but was thin enough, I never felt at ease with out a wig. But had a feeling of backup in case the wind blew my wig off and down the street or something. I could at least still have long thin hair while running after the wig.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

Hair, long beautiful hair.

Amina,
    I started letting my hair grow when I was forty.(now 53) I'm an accountant, and have been hired at two different companies with my ponytail. Keep it clean, keep it neat, dress appropriately, and you shouldn't have any major problems on job seeking, except, of course for the military or public safety. I get few, if any, disparaging comments about my hair length. Besides, with some of the hairstyles I've seen on young people over the last twenty years, a neat, uncolored, ponytail is almost conservative. You go, girl! ( I can't believe I just said that!)

"down to here, down to there, down to where it stops by itself..."
    One's true gender is in the heart and soul, not one's anatomy.

Your brain...don't leave home without it!Maureen

what i dont have up front i replace with in back
    hugs
    the erasable j-a
    `Who are YOU?' said the Caterpillar. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

I've had long hair since my early twenties. People just assumed I was some sort of hippy rebel, which I suppose I was in some ways. It was waist length at one time. I always felt confident when out en femme with my own long hair.

Nowadays male pattern baldness has set in and, although it is still shoulder length, I look decidedly unfeminine without a wig. However, I now have tried three wigs and I can't hack it. I'm "read" a lot more than I used to be. Bad wigs, or getting older? I don't know.

BTW, like Anima my own hair is part of me and I'm keeping it. If what is left doesn't fall out.
    Last edited by Lilith Moon; 03-26-2006 at 01:30 PM.

My hair has been long since I was 10 ( I am now 37) and ya I have gotten teased about my hair but I would never dream of cutting my hair for any reason, besides this was the one thing that attracted my wife to me when we first met and even she has told my that if I were to have my hair cut short, she would kick my A**. I think that having natural long hair makes passing a little easier when I am out en femme.

Hugs
    Kayla Horn

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    Yeah, well, you're 19. Wait until you're 35.
    That's what Proscar? and minoxidil are for. :-)

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I [SIZE="5"]LOVE[/SIZE] my long hair. I've only cut it off twice, once for the navy and once during a purge when I was about 25. Both times I cried after I had done it and swore never again. I wear it in a ponytail at work with a second smaller hair band about 2 or 3 inches from the end to keep it from getting all tangled, seems to help keep the split ends away too. I've very rarely gotten any negative comments, I think most people either think along the lines of rocker/hippy/pothead, maybe crossdresser/girl. I've had perspective employers tell me that I had to cut my hair for a job before, but I figured if they're saying that they're just looking for reasons to not give me the job and I wasn't going to get it anyway.

May

Red face "Hair -Long As I Can Grow It My Hair"

In the early seventies I had hair to my sholders it was way to fine and I kept it in a "Tom Jones" (pony tail). Why did I do it was I protesting the war was I anti government or anti establishment ? NOOOOOOOOOO I was gender confused and I loved how it felt on my neck and how it looked when I took time to goom it. She asked me what was the first thing I was going to do when I retired last year I told her that I was growing my hair back again (what hair) She sead what on earth for ? She' shes right because I went back to work and my public image is important.

I enjoy my long hair at 46yrs old. and i get comment's about it but i just don't care what anyone think. it's neat and clean and i like it. so enjoy your hair it's all about you. can't remember the name of the song ( sign's sign's everywhere are sign's .

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit
    That's what Proscar? and minoxidil are for. :-)

Veronica
    I tried that. Developed an allergy to it

Banned Read only
    I have had my hair long since I was in my 20's. Hasen't effected my ability to get a job. But I guess that really depends on the field of work you prefer. I am an electronics engineer and the engineering field is quite diverse when I comes to people. Engineers span the spectrum from the stereotypical nerdy geek to long haird hippies.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 03-27-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Not plus sized anymore! sharifemme's Avatar
    Love having long hair! I am old enough that it was graying so now I color it to my wife's chagrin. I used to go to a salon as Shari to get it trimmed and styled, but the last time I went, they cut it way too short and I have been growing it out for about 6 months now. It's getting time for just a little trim!

Sharifemme

Quote Originally Posted by Anima-87-388
    How much does your long hair matter to you?

It's never really caused me any problems, I've worn it up to school with a jaw clip and no one really seems to care. I know I want to keep my hair long from here till death (i'm 19) but I got to wondering if it's just as easy as that?

I get really upset when someone tells me I have to cut my hair before I can get a job even though I doubt someone can not hire you based only on the fact that you have long hair (unless it's a safety precaution)

I don't want to give up my long hair for anyone and so I shan't. it's much too much a part of me. So here I am wondering if i'm making a big deal out of nothing, the worst thing I EVER get is silly teasing and nothing more. Am I just making a big deal out of it?

P.S. Believe me, having your own hair is better than ANY wig. I can jump, skip, spin, lie down, stick my head out the window and even take a bath with it and I don't eeeever have to worry about it falling off or coming out of place

Quote Originally Posted by sharifemme
    Love having long hair! I am old enough that it was graying so now I color it to my wife's chagrin.
    Sharifemme
    My wife is not very accepting of my CD-ing, but one thing she does like is me colouring my hair. She reckons it takes ten years off me. I also help her color her hair.

It is long and coloured. No one has an issue with it... nor with the pierced ears. I think the world is far more relaxed about these things now to the point where it is not necessarily viewed as being either effeminate or wayout.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

luv your hair

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieThomas
    over the years I've had mid back length hair afew times, and I'm at that point again. I will not cut it again for no one. I'm 39 now, yes it has effected jobs opportunity, just means you have to look harder for jobs that allow it. besides you cant do this with a wig.

so keep your long hair and enjoy it.

huggs

hi debbie,
    i luv your hair and would like to chat sometime.
    at yhaoo i am shelby24_us

lovely hair

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla Smith
    My hair has been long since I was 10 ( I am now 37) and ya I have gotten teased about my hair but I would never dream of cutting my hair for any reason, besides this was the one thing that attracted my wife to me when we first met and even she has told my that if I were to have my hair cut short, she would kick my A**. I think that having natural long hair makes passing a little easier when I am out en femme.

Hugs

i love your hair and would like to chat sometime
    i am shelby24_us at yahoo

Anima, I know what you mean. I love my hair. I'm 35. I've had a ponytail since I was 16, so I speak from experience.

No, an employer can not discriminate because of your hair. But, that doesn't really matter because if they don't like it they will just use a different reason besides your hair.

I did have to cut mine once. To get a high-paying white-collar job.

Once I got it, I let it grow, let it grow! It's much, much easier to KEEP a job after you grow your hair, than it is to OBTAIN one with that hippie looking long hair. After they see how skilled I am, they can't let me go.

I tell ya though. I HATED cutting it! It was so bad growing it back. You know that awkward stage where it is long enough to be in your face, but not long enough to pull back. It was torture.