Thread: Zippers and fingernails

Sara Marie Junior Member Sara_Marie's Avatar

Zippers and fingernails

Well I have been cutting my finger nails short for years, but the last 3 weeks I have been letting them grow out.
    Well when I left out of town 2 weeks ago I kept catching them on every zipper I seem to use. I was almost impossible to zip up my luggage with out snagging a nail. And they are not that long.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I too new, to nails, to know how to work with them.
    I really feel for the ladies with really long nails.
    Also my middle finger nail on both hands is curling down does anyone know how to stop this?
    [SIZE=5]Sara Marie[/SIZE]

~Hi Terry

I am growing mine as well. I keep breaking them when on diy jobs and they split easily. I am using some Sally Hansen nail strengthner which helps.

Watch GG's and they do not use their nails rather the underedge tips of their fingers.

In my daily life I imagine I have long nails all the time which are beautifully polished. i don't want to chip or break them. By using the finger tips even with zippers it can be done easily and also gives you some very feminine hand movements. I have'nt yet mastered doing up a necklace or bracelet clasp when wearing false nails for real. That still alludes me! so need to put jewelry on before nails Like everything else it is practice!

Best of luck

Lyndax

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    [SIZE="2"]hi,,, these are my nails, just after filing them,,,,, 'n is th' way i've kept them for several years now,,,,, 's no real trick t' learning t' live with 'm,,, just oodles o' practice,,, actually, 's th' common ev'ryday things that are th' most difficult, 's easy t' r'member t' be careful rebuilding a motorcycle engine,,, not so easy t' remain aware when opening a car door 'r refridgerator...[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mandy Salamander; 03-29-2006 at 12:34 AM.

hi Mandy

You have beautiful nails. Do you ever use nail polish and do they draw comments from the people you work with? I would love to grow mine - I keep trying but the SO may just notice when I beat her to the emery boards!

Lots of love

Lyndaxx

The way that i learned to work around long nails is to wear fake nails for several days as they do not break as easily.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

I have always had bad nails that would break, split, chip, and crack down the center. Then last fall, I got a set of acrylic nails. I just love them. They are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch past my figure tips. I have not had one to break or anything. Most of the time no one pays any attention to them. Once in a while, I have a GG tell me that I have nice looking nails. I usually return the comment. I even had one GG tell her husband that "see men can have nice looking nails". Got a evil stare from her husband. LOL

As for everyday things, I try and use my figure pads to grab a zipper or button. Othrwise I use my figure pads and nails when I type or pick up something.

I keep my nails fairly long and don't seem to have trouble with zippers but I seem to have more problems with clasps on necklaces and bracelets. It can be difficult for the smaller ones.
    Last edited by LindaTS; 03-31-2006 at 10:41 AM.
    Kisses, Linda

nicole
    I broke my leg 2 weeks ago and as such am housebound for the next 2 months. My wife has been away on business during this time so.... I haven't cut my nails in a while. They are getting to be fairly long and I am getting acquainted with a simple feminine pleasure. Sure I've worn artificial nails before and loved the feel and challenge of them. But these are mine(until Friday). Presently I french manicured them and absolutely am enthralled. Unfortunately am unable to dress at this time due to my injury, but it is a phenomenal sensation to experience. I find that I am getting used to doing things with them at this length. Not as much of a challenge as when you put on fake nails. The mind learns to adapt.

Not plus sized anymore! sharifemme's Avatar
    To keep your nails from breaking or curling under, I have found that an acrylic overlay works well. If you don't want to go to a nail salon, try Cosmar's acrylic nails kit from The drug store or Wally World. Buy a white smoothing block to shape the acrylic after you apply it. Also, use a fine nail file and touch up the edges if they get rough. If you want a high gloss, use the three stick nail buffer sets.

I wore the acrylic kit nails for three months and they really did keep my nails from breaking and curling. I did remove them once a month for a day or two each time and applied fresh because they will tend to separate from your natural nails eventually. You can apply them when your nails are short and let them grow longer naturally filling in behind them as they grow. You can also use the included clear or white tips to make longer nails instantly if you are not concerned with letting others get used to it on you.

I will be doing this again soon but I wanted to give my nails a rest for a while. Nails require oxygen so I thought I'd give them a breather! LOL!

Sharifemme

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Well I have been cutting my finger nails short for years, but the last 3 weeks I have been letting them grow out.
    Well when I left out of town 2 weeks ago I kept catching them on every zipper I seem to use. I was almost impossible to zip up my luggage with out snagging a nail. And they are not that long.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I too new, to nails, to know how to work with them.
    I really feel for the ladies with really long nails.
    Also my middle finger nail on both hands is curling down does anyone know how to stop this?

I usually use false nails which does make buttons and jewellery clasps more difficult
    i know that with practice you find a slightly different way of holding things to make it easier
    I still find it slower to dress with my nails in place but it can be done.

Keep Practicing Girls
    Last edited by Shelly_P; 04-08-2006 at 09:38 AM.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Thanks for the tips everyone. I really just getting them past the end of my fingers. It has also been quite a new experience typing with them, since I usually press down with the end of my fingers in now have to lay them out.

Mandy beautiful nails. I wish I could grow them that long but no way with out others figuring it out. I envy you.

I may try the clear polish for keeping them straight if I can keep the gloss low enough.

Thanks for the tips it is fun letting them grow out and dealing with the daily rutine like the GG's go through. :cheeky:

Since I first read this post, I've been trying to get in the habit of grasping things in a different manner. Tain't easy.

I have gotten two manicures since I first read this and it has helped me to become more aware of my finger placement when doing simple things, like typing, picking up a coffee cup, opening car doors, and other everyday things we do without thinking.

I've been watching GGs and the way they hold their fingers when doing these sort of things. The other day, as I was going into the mall a lady was ahead of me and held the door until I got near it to be able to grab it on my own. I noticed that she held it open with the pads of her fingers and kept her nails from touching the door. I would have just grabbed the handle and not thought about it. Being careful to replicate her action I held the door with my finger pads until I was inside. Felt a bit different to do this, but if I want to have the various movements down correctly, it's something I'll have to work on.
    Every little bit of advice helps. Just doing something as mundane as picking up something, but with an idea to being more careful in my actions, gives me a new appreciation for GGs daily life.

Mandy you have beautiful nails!! I've had mine long for 5 or 6 years now and once you get used to having them long, its no problem. I haven't broken a nail in about a year. I use Nutri Nail maximum nail hardener which helps keep them strong. I don't live as a female so being seen as a guy with long nails does get a lot of attention. Women always compliment me and ask me my secret for growing them long.
    Jamie
    Last edited by JamieTG; 04-12-2006 at 12:55 PM.

WOW!!!!!

Jamie those are beautiful.

Mine aren't half as long. Do wish I could grow mine THAT long. :drool:

Quote Originally Posted by sharifemme
    I will be doing this again soon but I wanted to give my nails a rest for a while. Nails require oxygen so I thought I'd give them a breather! LOL!

Sharifemme
    I missed this post, but I just wanted to mention this. Letting nails "breathe" is a very old wives tale. Nails do not have lungs, they do not need to breathe - they do not need to rest. Nails are dead cells composed of keratin.

When 'properly' applied, nail enhancements can be worn for years straight without a break. They need to be applied by a skilled nail tech using good quality products. If you are getting a full set of nails at the corner discount NSS salon for under $20, then you arem't getting quality products, and in fact could be getting banned materials that will harm your nails. I have written several lengthy posts on this for the Beauty Club.

I have worn gels for almost 2 years straight, and am now using fiberglass. I have noticed no ill effects at all on my nails whatsoever, and I have had no breaks or rests.
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And opening soft drink cans with temporary nails is a bear. I have to use a key or something.

"Nails are jewels, not tools" - no one should use their nails to do things, it is always a good idea to use something else to open soda cans, etc.....
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only

The string is the thing!

I use this long piece of nylon string for zippers. Just slip it through the hole in the tab, double it up and pull away. Where it really comes in handy is when I'm trying on dresses. Again, I slip it through the hole in the tab and it makes sipping up a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    "Nails are jewels, not tools" - no one should use their nails to do things, it is always a good idea to use something else to open soda cans, etc.....
    You're referring to artificial nails, of course. I've used my real nails as tools all my life.

Well, really - you shouldn't use your real nails as tools either. I used to use my nails as tools too back when they looked like weasels had been gnawing at my fingers - but I wouldn't do it any more.....
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jamie nice nails. I wish I could keep mine that long always but not with out a lot of questions.
    Phyliss yes yes yes. I have learned so much by growing my nails out. Typing being just one of them and I have to do that all day long. And working in the garage is a chore now. But the worst of all. I broke my first nail on a zipper for a new pink sweeter top I was trying on. Fem cloths got me first who would have figured.
    Dana, thanks for the advice I had always heard they had to breath good to know proper care I don't have to worry about them and yes they are jewels, I felt so upset when I broke my nail off I finally know what other women are getting so upset over.
    Sherri I wish I had stronge nails but just pelling a banana today was hard I started to bend the nail back. I had to do it differently with my finger pads.

I just have to add I love doing this it has really been an eye opener.

Watch opening those doors. :cheeky:

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    Well, really - you shouldn't use your real nails as tools either. I used to use my nails as tools too back when they looked like weasels had been gnawing at my fingers - but I wouldn't do it any more.....
    I guess it depends on what kind of tools we're talking about. I was thinking of playing guitar, opening sodas, etc, not chisels and screwdrivers. :cheeky: Lots of people chew their nails down to the quick, too, but I'll never understand that.

As careful as I was today doing housework and wearing rubber gloves to protect my nails, I guess one of the fingers got a small hole in it and the cleaner stuff I was using totally ate off one nice clear coat.:mad: There goes my manicure. :mad: :mad:
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png