Hi Patience

Basically, my parents had caught me trying on my sister?s skirts and dresses on a few occasions and were not really sure what to do. I admitted myself at that stage that I didn?t really think I could stop (I had tried resisting it but was always drawn back in (usually taking greater risks) within a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I was taken to see this counsellor to try and ?cure? me of my problem. The counsellor theorised that if I had to dress in girl?s clothes full time that the novelty would wear of and I would no longer feel the compulsion to dress.

Consequently, I spent the next few years dressing in girl?s clothes including at school (being in the U.K., this involved a school uniform). Obviously, my old friends wanted nothing to do with the ?trans kid? so I very quickly learned to adapt.

In the space of just a couple of weeks I went from being a boy in a shirt and trousers playing football to essentially a girl in skirts and blouses practising my makeup techniques with my new mates.

In my case at least, I have come to learn that that isn?t how my dressing works. While dressing more regularly gives we a greater degree of flexibility, I have come to accept that there is no cure and any extended period of abstinence brings my Heather side back to the surface.