Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 best cities in the world to be a TG's

Not plus sized anymore! sharifemme's Avatar
    One of the better small cities is Ithaca, NY. Both Ithaca and Thompkins County (where Ithaca is) have passed LAws protecting GLB and Especially T people. There are GLBT clubs, GLBT welcoming churches and most of the businesses seem to really appreciate having us spend our money there. Ithaca is home to Ithaca College and Cornell University and is known for diversity. It is within an easy drive to Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamtom and Elmira which are pretty tolerant too. It is also the home of the Southern Tier Gender Alliance which has around 150 members in two chapters. I've been out in Ithaca for everything from shopping, dining, bowling, and going to church. Only had one minor incident in which the business owner stood up for us and told the offender that if he didn't like us being there, he could leave! Really nice small city at the southern end of Cayuga lake, it is known for it's beauty and it's river gorges. There are numerous parks, sites, and things to do there.

Sharifemme

RE: Cities

Two cities or Areas I haven't seen mentioned here are Provincetown in Cape Cod and area, and Key West bot very gay/TG friendly. Don't know what you do for work but if you could both those area great locations. Cape Cod Provincetown pretty much cold in Winter, but Key West is year round.

Also Minneapolis MN is very gay/TG friendly and laws on the books to protect TG's.

Palm Springs is also Gay/TG friendly at all times also.
    PIXIE

One place that hasn't been mentioned is Provincetown, on the tip of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I know that it's "heavy-duty" Gay/Lesbian...not sure about CD/TG/TS, but I would imagine that it would be an ideal place.

With a slogan like: "Enjoy the freedom to be who you are in our unique town".... it might be worth investigating further.

http://www.ptown.org/

I feel like it's my duty to represent Toronto, even if I have yet to go out dressed or anything!

Being a place that's extremely diverse, in race, sexual orientation etc. I find people are very open minded in the T-Dot. Mind you, I haven't told anybody about my crossdressing habit, but downtown I've seen some crossdressers / transgendered people who can walk around without raising a commotion. There's also an extensive gay village here, with lots of bars that are teeming with crossdressers.

Go Toronto!

-Stacy

Trouble On Wheels Francesca Chantel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaCD
    In the southern USA, the only place that I might recommend would be Austin, Texas. Again, certain parts of town will be better than others.
    X2.

Any moderate sized town will be safe and accepting if you are dressed appropriately for your age and the time of day. In the USA I've spent a few days en femme in Pittsburgh and Miami and had no problems whatsoever. In the UK some have already mentioned Manchester. The main attraction there is "The Village"; the main gay quarter of the city. This is a magnet for trannies and on a weekend you will see trannies of all types and persuasions out and about on Canal Street.

Finally I will put in a word for my new home town of Wellington NZ. I have been out and about shopping here and met nothing but good service and pleasant people. For a Brit it is a new experience to walk into shops and be greeted in a friendly manner by the staff who then try to help you find what you need. Kiwis are generally accepting of differences (it's too small a place to fall out with your neighbours) and this seems to extend to trannies as well.
    Paula

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Woman of the Revolution Bridget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie62
    Girls

Thank you for your suggestions, I would consider revising each one of them.

I was surprised not to find San Francisco mentioned very often as one of the Top Ten on your lists . And to tell you the truth I was so glad.

Yes, San Francisco is one of the best cities in the world for transgender people. They go out in femme, no problem. The only problem, "I lived there the entire 1980's, and I have been visiting the "City" for the last 16 years", hahahaha. I know many people there and I do not want to be reconized by any of my friends as a femme. In fact, I just lived for the last 6 months of 2005. I have a lesbian friend (she doesn't know I am a TV) that, this last year, used to take me out to the gay bars, I have a lot of fun. But, she never took me to the TG's nightclubs...uuuurrrrggg:mad:

I love the City, you can not imagine. I love its diversity, its urbanism, its people, its restaurants and, believe it or not, its weather,. The City as change a lot in the past 26 years that I have come to know it. In the 1980's it was mostly Gay Male movement, I did notice at that time that Lesbians were kind of cast out from the Gay community. I have disscussed that point with my lesbian friend and she seems to agree with me. Then, In the 1990's came the integration of Gay Females in the community. I would say that now its is the Transgender people who its claiming their place in society. You can see TG's in Public places, such a Libarry. I never saw that in the san Francisco of the 1980's except during the Gay Parades and in Hollowing night. The first time I saw TG people in broad day light was in Rome, London and Barcelona, Spain.

Anyhow, I hope you girls keep suggesting places so I can check on them. I travel a lot around the world so I can go I check on them in person. By, the way, some one said Miami. Yes, lovely city. I think it would be a better place to live in 20 years. I wouldn't mind living in Miami, but right now I am in the Miami area and this would be the last place on Earth that I would choose to live as a Trannie. Why? again like San Francisco too many known people, more so than in San Francisco.

Again, thank you girls. Please, continue to bring alternatives cities.

Love,:GE:

Sophie

There's always Berkeley and Davis. Davis though, is in the middle of the, proverbial "whitebread" valley, and you'll have to commute to Sacramento for any decent (read: affordable clothing) (other note, unless you can fit into a size small or medium and dumpster dive the apartment complexes near moving day...) Both communities are very liberal and supportive of the whole GLTB spectrum.

Chicago

Lots of Clubs, Fun placees to shop, never had any problems.

Recently, Gender Expression was added to the Citys Human Rights Ordanice

Smile

[SIZE="3"]I too agree with Manchester. I live about 20 mins from the gay village in Manchester. Wedensday and Friday are the best days and nights for T Girls, although imho it is very safe to move around there anytime.[/SIZE]

would agree with San Francisco
    and also a vote for Los Angeles
    certain parts: Santa Monica, West Hollywood are very safe
    for today and tomorrow
    [SIZE="4"]Jilly[/SIZE]

As previously mentioned, here in the UK Manchester's 'village' area is a good spot, as is Brighton and also Blackpool. London has a lot of tv venues too.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Pink Satin Sissy Pink Satin Sissy's Avatar
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned New Orleans! I guess that pesky Katrina ruined it for all of us cd's down there.
    1) San Fran
    2) Las Vegas
    3) Minneapolis (#2 was NOLA)
    4) Atlanta
    5) Chicago
    6) NY, NY
    7) Toronto
    8) Dallas
    9) LA
    10 tie) Boston & Seattle

Just my humble opinion.

Pink
    Pink Satin Sissy

Ah-May-Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleria
    Lots of great cities. There are quite a many references to "certain areas", etc, in these cities. Unfortunately, quite a few are of fairly large size.

Could y'all be more specific to where these areas are?

Wouldn't want a poor, unsuspecting CD to wander into the "wrong" part of town...

In Baltimore most CDs would be around the Mount Vernon area or Downtown near the Harbor. Maybe Fells Point, Canton area as well. Just stay away from my hood, it ain't safe for CDs.

In New York City, just about anywhere in Manhattan is fine, maybe not up in north part of Manhattan. The best places to go in NYC for CDs is the West Village and the East Village, Chelsea, SOHO, Tribeca, too many to name. Although I have seen T-girls in all parts of NYC,,yes, even Brooklyn, lol
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

I live in Houston and have dressed enfemme in most public places over the past 25 years without any problems. I have also traveled the world enfemme and have loved being enfemme without any problems in London, Paris, Rome, Monte Carlo and especially in Sydney, Auckland and Tahiti. The only places where there were any negative comments were in New York City and San Francisco. In NYC several of us were told we were going to "hell" for our "lifestyle". On one trip to San Francisco my wife and I were with Virginia Prince and when calling a cab from our hotel were refused service by two cab drivers who told us they did not want us in their cab. Last week we were in Jamaica on one of our Dignity cruises with 9 others CD's and their wives. The natives called us "shemans" but were very friendly and accepting. On this cruise out of Texas we found that a majority of the 3500 other passengers on board were accepting of our group of 19. There was only one negative comment made to any of the CD's in the group during the 7 night cruise. Maybe we are making progress.

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

[QUOTE=Emma_Forbes] How about Manchester?

Em[/QUOTE
    there is an acceptance in Mancherster what is called the village i suggest you look at http://northernconcord.org that site will tell you everthing you need to know.
    Steph 0.02
    Spelling bad because the fairies make love on my keyboard.

key west is a really laid back place to go.we've been there
    many times.it's an extremely tolerant city.
    hugs,karen

Seattle area, for sure. As a matter of fact, I think I may have passed Linda walking the other way while out walking one night. I was out for a stroll in Capitol Hill a couple of years ago, killing time until a movie started. Walked for an hour along the main thoroughfare and then went to a movie. Still a special memory. Very supportive groups here, too. My first time out in the daylight was to meet someone at Emerald City. Yes, Seattle should be on the list.

Smile My favorite Place to enjoy CDing

My wife and I travel to Costa Rica alot on business. I have found That the city
    of San Jose has many clubs and the people around the country have been very
    nice. If you are traveling for vacation you will find most people very pleasant.
    We have been traveling there more often in the last few years and will be retireing ther in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie R
    Last week we were in Jamaica on one of our Dignity cruises with 9 others CD's and their wives. The natives called us "shemans" but were very friendly and accepting. On this cruise out of Texas we found that a majority of the 3500 other passengers on board were accepting of our group of 19. There was only one negative comment made to any of the CD's in the group during the 7 night cruise. Maybe we are making progress.

Melanie
    Surprised to see Jamaica mentioned on this thread as it has a reputation for intolerance of LGBT lifestyles. LGBT folk there are regularly beaten, raped and murdered. They also have to endure the sound of major reggae artists exhorting the listener to kill them as abominations. I would guess that you didn't go outside toruist areas or that you are very brave.
    Paula

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Reece
    I just have to say that I think Atlanta is a great place for any transgendered person to live - at least in terms of places to go and things to do here with general acceptance of who you are. I'm sure Deidra will agree....
    Yes I do agree! Atlanta is a great place to be a tranny. I hear a lot about SF and NYC also here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    In New York City, just about anywhere in Manhattan is fine, maybe not up in north part of Manhattan. The best places to go in NYC for CDs is the West Village and the East Village, Chelsea, SOHO, Tribeca, too many to name. Although I have seen T-girls in all parts of NYC,,yes, even Brooklyn, lol
    I agree with Amelie. I've seen T-girls in Bryant Park, Washington Square and in the Village, the Battery and South Street near the Seaport. Also Times Square and on 5th and 6th Avenues. I probably wouldn't recommend anywhere north of maybe 48th Street, especially after dark.

This was recently a topic on a TS forum I belong to and a few girls mentioned they had moved to the east coast, south Florida area.

Kim

Are you looking to get lost in the croud?

Well Girl,
    San Francisco is the greatest place on Earth to visit. For years I lived near by so "going to the city" wouldn't loose it's eventfulness. Seattle,Washington always has seemed to be an open minded place to me.
    If you are looking to be appart of a comunity Portland,Maine is a very open minded area. The surrounding communitys have anti-hate,anti-descrimination /gay rights ordinances. It is a safe place for a girl to walk the streets at all hours of the night. But; it is too small to hide out in.A t-girl being out here is really being out. We are close enough to Boston for really wild weekends. Ogunquit by the Sea (one of the most delightfull gay summer resort towns in the world) is 20 minutes away. Our local Girl's Night Out chapter would love include another member.
    Hope to see you here soon