Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Face-App ?

Is Face-App ?

I'm sorry, is Face-App crossing-dressing?

I'm not saying I look great but, four years ago I started dressing again and when I look in the mirror I was horrified, a 60 year old man in a dress.

I decided to to in the effort to look as fem as possible. I watched quite a lot of YouTube videos and put quit a lot of effort into looking like a woman as I could.

If I used Face-App in posting my photos I could could look very womanly but, it wouldn't be me.
    When you say (you look great) with Face-App your not saying wow you look great!
    Use makeup not Face-App!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

As an act, maybe. As a craft, definitely not.

People should use the resources they see fit, but depending on a third party app is not a great idea, imo.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Judy, I look at it this way. I'm a 77 year old man that loves wearing women's dresses, lingerie, and other items. I am NEVER going to pass. Depending upon the circumstance, I may blend. More correctly, I may not draw attention to myself; but, anyone with any common sense can see right thru me and likely tell I'm a guy. I do use makeup but I need schooling in its use. I'm hoping to get a makeover at ULTA in mid-March. I don't go out dressed often; but, when I do I'd like to have a better idea of how to make myself more presentable.

As an aside, I see in your signature that you say CDing is much more fun than fishing. I'll have you know I made my livelihood in the fishing industry for 20 years. During those 20 years I fished a LOT. And, you're correct. Crossdressing is so much more fun than fishing. I only wish I had discovered my love of crossdressing when I was in that business because I spent about 130 nights per year in motel rooms. That's basically well over 2,000 nights I didn't CD when I could have been.
    Last edited by Heather76; 01-01-2023 at 03:58 PM.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

I agree, Judy. I’ve tried face-app and it makes me look like a 15-year-old girl. Would you believe that anyone born in 1948 looked like a 15-year-old girl? Yes that's how I looked in 1963. But that was a very long time ago. When I put some effort into it, I look female. Old female, true. But female. And that's what's important.
    What do I do on days when I don't crossdress? I have no idea.

Well, I just today was messing around with Faceapp, before I saw this post. I enjoyed the results. First, I would not represent a Faceapp picture of Aneline as the real thing. I can see that it smooths wrinkles and does something to make me look more feminine, but its not real. But I look at my Faceapp picture and see what I could be if I worked on my makeup, wig, etc. (at least in my imagination) Also, there are two filters, the first is a more literal wig and a little makeup on a guy image. The second filter removes a bunch of wrinkles and takes quite a few years off my face. I know that a little makeup and a wig will not take 40 years off my face. But its fun. Should Faceapp images be banned from this site? Eh. A label seems honest. But does it really matter? I think that's on the presenter. This isn't a competition, no money's at stake. It's just people talking. If you represent yourself untruthfully (using Faceapp or any other means), most likely we'll never know. Just don't pretend to be a crossdresser, when actually you aren't into that.
    -Aneline

I will probably never use FaceApp, both because the result seems very loosely related to the original and you could as well have photoshopped a lady's face over yours, and for confidentiality reasons. But I have nothing against the fact that people use it, it's a fantasy like other fantasies, nothing wrong with the concept itself.
    However, I agree its use should definitely be mentioned in this forum, since it may cause significant distress to members not aware of it and blaming themselves for not achieving the same results with mere makeup and photographs angles.
    I would just add that Photoshop editing other than just fixing colors and lights (i.e. developing tasks) falls in the same category and should be mentioned as well.
    One could object that makeup and camera lighting and angles are tricks too. They sure are. But for one, they're far less deceptive and efficient than FaceApp, and for two, they are things people are familiar with, and will factor in to get a hint of what the original looked like, something impossible with a complete face recomposition produced by an AI algorithm.

To people talking about avatars. I'm not sure you actually read the OP. This isn't the subject, Judy alluded to "posting photos", which is a different thing. When you post photos of yourself, it's supposed to be yourself, not an AI-generated creature. If you don't mention some FaceApp process was at work, then you are intently deceiving members (just like when you post some made-up stories pretending it happened to you).
    With your avatars, just do as you please, I don't think anyone ever complained about silently using FaceApp in these.
    Last edited by Di; 01-02-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Judy,

I believe I'm right in saying a few days ago you posted pic sans FaceApp.

Yes there was a difference to previous postings but not that great that I would have no hesitation to say you'd have no problems going out.

If I go out I have an App I use; Confidence. Works better than anything else.

Never used any face apps, just good old makeup knocks years off you, lol PS Im 66 years young this year

I go out regular, now I like to see my picture to see if Im presentable and maybe pass enough to blend in, A face app or photoshop would completely give me the wrong idea in my head of how I actually look and feel walking down the street, do I pretend to be the person in the face app in my head ?, or do I feel real with the makeup I have done, When my makeup goes on right its the most amazing feeling, just wouldnt get that with a face app, a face app picture is somebody else and not the real me. I know you say hip pads wigs etc are not real, but they take you into the real world with thrill and excitement, a face app can never do that.
    Last edited by Di; 01-02-2023 at 02:51 PM.

When I first began to CD, I used faceapp as an experiment, just to see what might be possible if I were to develop further. I liked what I saw, but thought it would be impossible to achieve those kind of results. - it was like a world-class facelift! However, I persevered and with my wife's help developed some rudimentary makeup skills that got my persona started on the right track. So for me, although a good starting point and a helpful tool, it did not and cannot substitute for the real thing - which I must add for me is WAY more fun.
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

I have not used a face app but I can see why it would be fun to play with. As a crossdresser I love playing with makeup to feminize my appearance looking in the mirror as a male can be scary days so I definitely get enjoyment from makeup. I do remember a few years ago my wife actually took a picture of me with a Snapchat M to F and told me i looked like our oldest daughter she was right kinda creeped me out.

I used to use face app but have started to use my real face as I have learned what it takes to make me look how I want. Not an easy task when starting out. Face app can be unrealistic and I had to learn that I wouldn't look that way in real life. If I wanted to dress and go out on my terms with me looking my best I had to stop and learn real make up. It can be fun to use though.

I have never used face app because I don't use my phone to get on the internet.
    I suppose its a tool one could use to get make up ideas.
    I have been on sites where they do not allow face app pics. To each their own I guess.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I don't use such software in MY pics, myself---Not only would it be "Cheating" it would undercut my own makeup and photography skills and even change my face into something that is not me. I see why it should NOT be used---and why , IF we use it, say for some "interesting effect", admit to doing so.

But I will agree it is VERY GOOD for getting new makeup ideas. For example, in Snapchat, I can take a Photo of some celebrity, say "Liz Taylor", or "Sophia Loren" and drop it DIRECTLY atop one of my "drab" Pictures. and their features, makeup included, will "Rubber mask" itself onto my own face. The resulting image, I can use as a "blueprint" to make myself up to resemble them. In some cases, if the face shape is right and using the right wig, I can actually SEE the resemblance in my own makeup results. at the very least, I learn new makeup patterns and looks, that I attribute to my recent makeup "improvements" as of late.

My wife puts it in her perspective, she tells me it's my fantasy live it the way you want. Inguess she's right, I don't pass but I try my best to achieve the best look possible but I don't see a problem with anyone using face app to better something or achieve a look there after.

I can see why for some, it can provide some way of being in disguise.

It also can help people see how they may have looked when they were younger in female mode.

Personally I have never found the need to use it.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I enjoy playing with face app just to see what could be possible.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I personally do not and would not waste my time with touching up my pictures whether it be Faceap, photoshop, or filters. I do for some reason have to rotate a picture, save, and then rotate back the picture to be able to post on the site so it will not be upside down or sideways.
    I have noticed the benefit of faceaps and filtering on the site though. There are far less torso pictures and odd blurring of the face. However, I could see the many cons as well. I like the mentioning of the Faceap rule as I had noticed that many that were using it before the rule were getting many praises and comments compared to us that do not measure up to those fantasy faces. It does seem like some people are not sure what Faceap does as even with the mentioning of it, people complimenting the persons make up and being ?passable?. I tend to not go ?oh lala? on people?s pictures that mention Faceap as who knows if more has been touched up!

Well, as I have tried to be up front about, I do appreciate FaceAp for several reasons.

1. Sure I love the results, and as others have correctly pointed out, it sets a potentially unrealistic expectation. However, it can also be a goal. I never try to play off a FaceAp photo as reality and happily comply with the sites rules of making note as such.

2. I am still FULLY in the closet. I truly appreciate and sometimes envy, how out so many on this board are and how it enhances their life, but I am not there yet, if ever. I am not comfortable posting my real life image on the public web. Nor, much more importantly, is my wife. Hence, FaceAp allows me to share a little, but still keep a little level of anonymity. The alternative, as many on here choose is to share no images whatsoever. Or no heads or have to use some other tool to blackout or scratch out features which is also time consuming and extra steps (FaceAp is easier).

3. I have not yet gotten very good at, nor had much opportunity to get good with makeup. Refer to item 2 and that I my son still lives with us and my wife isn’t super comfortable with me wearing makeup, either. FaceAp ( and I only have the free version which only offers one makeup setting) helps at least hide a few things. Originally I ran it through 2 or 3 times and always picked the Feminine2 setting. Now,
    I only run it once and only the feminine setting, assuming it doesn’t already assume feminine as the original when the photo of me is en femme with a wig. Depending on the lighting and angle it is about 70-30 that it will take the original as feminine.

I appreciate everyone’s reasons for their disdain for these Apps, but for me, personally, the Apps are still useful. In some ways it is a quick and time saving way to pseudo cross dress when the opportunities aren’t there, but no, it in itself is not crossdressing.

Just wanted to present a positive side of it to help counter balance the responses so far.

I've played with faceapp, and, surprise, I have an opinion. Go for it. Have a blast.
    BUT...
    Be honest. It isn't you anymore. If you use your pic here let us know it's altered (aka fake). My own faceapp'd pics look absolutely fantastic! If I was actually a female and 30 years younger, that is. When I first tried it I wondered if with proper makeup skills I could look like that, the short answer is no, all the makeup experts in Hollywood couldn't make me look that good (although the folks that make latex masks maybe could, but then I'd be in a costume and not makeup)
    Those pics look as much like me as if I used a photo of Marilyn Monroe and claimed it was really me.
    If honesty isn't important enough for you, consider the many here who try like hell to get their makeup just right, and you come along and with the touch of a button put them all to shame. That's not cool.

My own avatar is a cartoon-ized pic of me, I believe it's obvious that it's altered.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I personally feel that Face-App is cheating. I've never used it and would never post an altered photo of myself and claim it was all me. How delusional can you get. You can't walk out the front door with Face-App. Just my humble opinion.

Peace & Love & Happy New Year.
    Gerri

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good point, Gerri. Which is why I can't be bothered with face apps.

Said the CD who wears masks out often, including last nite at a packed club, New Years Eve! Try doing that with your face app!

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I personally think it isnt crossdressing and I came to that personal opinion from those who used to post pics and pretend it was them . ( from a 80 yr old to a 20 yr old- taking it to the extreme.You can learn makeup, shading ect skills . That would be more rewarding in my opinion. ------------------------------So we had to make this rule

As a result it should only be used to enhance features not completely change your face..
    While I understand and agree with the APP rule that people should not be "fooled", Di. But, as one of those 80 y/o dressers u describe, no amount of make up makes me look 20, 60, or even like an 80 y/o woman!

And, since I'm able to create a 20 y/o woman's figure I find seeing an old man's face on that body in my mirror to be quite disturbing!
    I sympathize with other dressers who r not able to use make up to hide an ancient male face but want to present a youthful figure.
    Last edited by Di; 01-05-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I asked in this thread to only answer once and edit to add more to keep the thread going with no fighting/ Yours not fighting but to be fair
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I love face app and the thought of a crossdresser thinking there's something fake about it gave me the giggles
    Please Call Me Mandy

My wife expects me to look the best at all times so I have to put the effort in to achieve that, I can't walk about in real time 'faceapped' I have ran a few photos through faceapp and think it can be amazing but definitely would never post them as real. Some people are super photogenic I am not, in male mode I take awful pictures I am much more confident having pictures taken as Amy but again that's because I have to put the effort in even so the majority end up on the 'cutting room floor' I get more satisfaction by pleasing my wife and trying to look nice than relying on photographic trickery.

Yes Amanda, I agree!
    Many of us wear fake boobs, eyelashes, hip pads, corsets etc and yet get in a bundle when someone uses a digital face app? Seriously?
    I really don't understand the issue. My avatar, for instance, is not me... it maybe something that I aspire to but it is in no way attainable. I am a 65 year old man for heaven's sake. I have never held out that my avatar is me, not even close.
    Many of us use the avatars that we're comfortable with. Some are plucked from the internet (a stock photo of a pretty woman, like mine), a feminine graphic representation etc.
    If there was a meeting that stated that there were rules to be followed in terms of a feminine presentation, I must have missed it.
    What an absurd concept, I'm sorry...
    The most common form of despair is not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FaceApp? Love it. Hate it.

I love what it can make me look like after it works its magic.

I hate that it's only "make believe" and I'll never look like that in the real world.

Do I, have I, or would I - ever post pictures of the "after" without saying that the pictures are altered? No way. It just wouldn't feel right.