Thread: First visit with a counselor

First visit with a counselor

Well, I had my first appointment today with my psychologist. It went much better than I expected. I had already decided to be completely up front and honest with no embellishments whatsoever and I'm happy I did. She was very comfortable to talk with and it was easy to tell her my story. I started at the beginning of my journey at the age of 12 and went from there. It really felt good getting everything out once and for all. I was taken aback a bit when she noted how happy I seemed. She noted my smile and how my face would light up whenever I touched on a milestone event in my dressing journey. I hadn't even realized how happy those events made me feel until now. It was a really nice experience and I will be seeing her about five more times at least. I feel really good right now and I can't wait to see where this goes. More to follow...
    We can only achieve what we dare to reach for.

Good for you! It sounds as if this session was the stat of a learning process and a pleasure all in one. Keep us informed as much as you care to share. I think having someone to listen is a key to facing our unique activity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Good for you AmeeJo. Hoping all your sessions are productive.

Colleen

AmeeJo, Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you are off to a good start! Brenda

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Ameejo, it sounds like good fun for u.

But, my counselor quit discussing my dressing 5 minutes after finding out it was causing NONE of the problems in my life. Why is she continuing on this subject with u?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Good question Doc. The reason I asked to speak with her in the first place was to discuss my crossdressing. So far we have talked about my history but have not explored the "why" very much. Her services are being provided by the VA so I don't have to pay anything and I think I might get some ideas as to where I really want to go on this journey.

AmeeJo, I'm glad the the session went well for you.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

This all sounds very positive AmeeJo. In all of your posts, a sense of happiness and satisfaction comes through, and I'm glad that extends to this experience as well. Because you have opened up so fully and freely,
    your outcome should be quite enlightening. Do keep us posted!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

That is awesome AmeeJo! Keep smiling & lighting-up! We need more of that in this world!
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

That's great to hear, AmeeJo. I've had tremendous help from my therapist, and it sounds like you're getting great help also. I hope it continues to work so well for you.

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks for this timely post. I'm required to see a psychiatrist at the VA because of a medication I take. The one I've been seeing is well aware of my crossdressing. We've discussed it briefly; but, because I'm comfortable with it, she's not pursued that area with me. Well, she's moved on and this coming Monday is my first visit with another psychiatrist at the VA. While the visit is required in order for me to continue receiving this med, I'm curious if he will bring up my CDing. I'm not concerned about such a conversation. I'll just be interested to see if, after looking at my file, if he feels a need to broach the topic. And, if he's observant enough, he will notice I'm wearing a bralette with A/B inserts.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

AmeeJo, Happy for you. Must be such a relief to tell your story and experience affirmation after all these years of secrecy. How’s it going with your wife since you revealed to her?

Heather: keep in mind that psychiatrists are not counselors. They focus on medication management, especially in big systems like the VA. If you want traditional talk therapy, you will need to be referred to a psychologist or a clinical social worker.
    Last edited by NancyJ; 01-20-2023 at 08:50 AM.

How wonderful, AmeeJo. I am sure that just getting a supportive reaction from your psychologist is very uplifting. And it is good that you did not hold back much and laid all the cards on the table. A lot of times it is the things we hold back that are the really important things a counselor needs to know. Been there, done that, and the results are not pretty. In the therapy world confidentiality is not only a good idea but is also the law. You can and should tell her anything. Hint: My daughter is a therapist and she has told me she can usually tell when somebody is holding back something that has to gently and tactfully pried out because it is probably important.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
    AmeeJo, Happy for you. Must be such a relief to tell your story and experience affirmation after all these years of secrecy. How’s it going with your wife since you revealed to her?

Heather: keep in mind that psychiatrists are not counselors. They focus on medication management, especially in big systems like the VA. If you want traditional talk therapy, you will need to be referred to a psychologist or a clinical social worker.
    AmeeJo

I was happy just to talk to someone about my CDing to help me understand that it wasn't as weird as I made it out to be. As Doc has said, is it causing a problem in your life. For me, it was causing a problem in my wife.

Also, In most states, neither psychologists nor LCSW can write a script for meds, based on their training and credentialing. Psychiatrists are MDs and can write scripts.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
    AmeeJo, Happy for you. Must be such a relief to tell your story and experience affirmation after all these years of secrecy. How?s it going with your wife since you revealed to her?

Exactly. The terminology may get a bit confusing, but a psychiatrist is a physician, a medical doctor with specialization in diagnosis and medical treatment of mental or psychiatric disorders. Among other things, in the US, psychiatrists write prescriptions, sometimes with consultation on diagnoses with other providers. They don’t do talk therapy, and be grateful for that cause you could not afford them!

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I sought out a psychologist more to understand why I crossdress and not so much because it has caused me problems or that I have problems in my life. I just thought it would be a good opportunity to talk with someone who could be objective and offer some insight to help me wrap my head around who I am and want to be. As far as my wife and I are doing, I have an updated and detailed post in the Loved Ones section but the short version is we're doing well.

AimeeJo so glad to hear your first session went so well. My therapist noted a similar joy in me that I never realized when we would talk about my crossdressing. We quickly gave up trying to figure out the "why" and focused more how to cope and find peace and maybe joy in myself with crossdressing. Hope your future sessions help you find the same peace and joy!!!.