Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ever spoil your partner or make her feel special?

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanieCD View Post
    It seems that in different countries it has a slightly different meaning. Spoiling it seems in the USA it is a slightly degrading meaning. In the UK it has an endearing meaning. To spoil your wife/girlfriend means to treat them special, to give them that something extra, to go above and beyond what is expected ...
    Stephanie, in the USA, the word "spoil" may have the same meaning you describe for the UK, or it may have the degrading meaning to which you refer. It depends on the context.

I can show love to my SO by pampering her and treating her extremely well. When "spoiling" comes from a giver, it is a good thing. (And who here would not like to be spoiled as a woman?)

But when someone expects preferential treatment, then we say they are "spoiled." For instance, a teen or a bratty child whose parents give in to their demands.
    This is also indicated in the popular phrase "spare the rod, spoil the child." It means that, if a parent refuses to discipline an unruly child, that child will grow accustomed to getting his own way and develop an air of entitlement.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!

Banned Read only
    Been happily married for over fifty years. I spoil her every day. She spoils me every day. Mutual respect and adoration. If you do it right, you become one.

Platinum Member
    I am afraid I did not spoil either of my wives sufficiently, but I did manage to spoil two marriages.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt