Thread: My dads view surprised me

My dads view surprised me

me and my dad was watching the news and a story of drag queens came on. i will not go into details what it was about i don't want deleted but, I will onl say I am from Tennessee. My dad is the Harley Davidson riding mans man type. After the story he said Why don't they just leave the drag queens alone. It caught me off guard so I just said umm what? He said why don't they just leave them alone they are not hurting anybody. They dress up put on shows and have fun where is the harm in that? If you don't want minors at a show make it 18 and up. I was caught off guard hearing that now I thought about it I think he was talking to me. His way of saying he accepts me and my crossdressing or body snatchers got him. So what you girls think was he talking to me or body snatchers lol.
    Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/brandiedaniels/

Perhaps your dad has hidden depths?

A fun area for you to tentatively explore, no doubt.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Your Dad loves you and he has accepted your crossdressing.
    Crissy

I don't know how much he knows about you, so I can't say.
    But maybe you should just take what he said at face value, without trying to read more into it.
    There's a pretty good chance he wasn't aiming it at at you at all.

I have to agree with SaraLin, Take it for face value, and don't look much into it. He probably has no idea as to your crossdressing. That is, unless you have come out to him.

Probably didn't have anything to do with you. But it could have been a good time to let him know that you cross dress sometimes.

Brandie, your Flickr photos are quite amazing!
    Last edited by Ressie; 02-14-2023 at 08:11 AM.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Many years ago I worked in a motorcycle shop selling custom, racing and chopper parts. It was the first place I ever worked at that had an openly gay employee. He was treated with respect. In those days being a biker was about freedom to do your own thing. It sounds like your dad is coming at it from that angle. I hope so.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I agree with others that he loves you and respects your choices. You may have also opened his eyes to the reality that we are all different. But your story does show how easily we sometimes get caught up in stereotypes.

According to Brandis bio she came out to everyone a few years ago so that may include her Dad
    Crissy

I think as people age they become wiser and sometimes more accepting of differences in others
    Last edited by bridget thronton; 02-15-2023 at 02:27 AM.

It's very hard to know, you are in the best position to judge that. Have you told him you crossdress or given him any other clue that you crossdress. If he knows you crossdress then it probably is his way of saying he accepts you without actually saying it directly. If on the other hand he has no idea that you crossdress, then as others have suggested, just take it at face value and don't put any extra meaning in it. At least you know he's probably more tolerant than perhaps you thought he was.

Crissy is right i came out to everyone including my dad.

Ok, then the whole thing was more than an just offhand comment.

Full marks for commitment. How did you broach the subject, if you don't mind my asking?
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It sounds as if u and your dad don't communicate much or well, Brandie?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Ok, then the whole thing was more than an just offhand comment.

Full marks for commitment. How did you broach the subject, if you don't mind my asking?
    of me coming out I made a thread that tells all about it.

Brandie, I'm glad your dad has a live and let live attitude.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Dads can do that sometimes.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Well, it should be obvious to everyone ( ) that Brandie's father has secretly been moonlighting for the past 30+ years as a fairly-popular drag queen, performing at various clubs & events around the region, both professionally as well as for the sheer fun & joy of it!

Anyway, it's so great that s/he's finally come out to you!

Perhaps you two could do a drag-mother/daughter act together, or something?

How wonderful would *that* be!

P.S. Hey, stranger things have happened... Ya never know!

It's hard to say. He may be tolerant toward drag queens but may still be unreceptive to the person he knows as his son coming out as a crossdresser. It's kind of like when someone is all in favor of homeless shelters, but they don't want one in their neighborhood. This dichotomy of attitudes is one of the biggest impediments to my coming out to my family -- I have such inconsistencies myself (for I am a work in progress).
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

I would think that since he knows you crossdress, he was letting you know it's okay with him.

Things take on a different perspective for most people when someone in their family comes out of the closet. While there are no absolutes in life, the majority of people will become accepting of a son/daughter coming out of the closet in one way or another. Remember, this is the child they have loved, reared, and (hopefully) supported for that child's lifetime. It may not be what they hoped for their child; but, the reality is they may not have taken the same path their parents had hoped for them. It may take a while for them to get over the shock and awkward feelings; but, it does happen.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Well, in male mode I’m the Harley-Davidson type. So, yes, I believe he was being sincere and supportive.
    What do I do on days when I don't crossdress? I have no idea.

I couldn't say whether your dad's comment was meant to speak directly to you, but I CAN say that those who love us can be tremendously insightful from time to time. Kudos to him for his outlook on life!
    Shawna

Hi I put a photo on Facebook of me dressed as a stewardess for carnival and my spiteful brother showed my dad ,I?m fifty odd years old and he asked in a discussed way why did you do that? But I think he always thought I was a weakling sissy type,although I?m not .he just doesn?t know me ,my mum doesn?t think much of effeminate men either