Thread: Rodeo v2

Rodeo v2

I have posted in the Special Events section about my volunteering with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Most of that thread deals with the event itself. This thread is more about being trans and yet being successful.

About six years ago my sister asked if I wanted to volunteer with her at the HLSR. I said yes, bought the necessary items for the western style uniform and attended the training sessions.

Considering how conservative (redneck) the rodeo culture is, I had some trepidation at first. I never experienced anything negative.

My team sells tickets at the carnival. We take in a large portion of the money that will go towards scholarships. The first year I was a ticket seller. The next year I was made Linebuster, then Wrangler and last year Assistant Captain.

Tomorrow I have an interview with two of the Vice Chairmen of the 850 member Midway Ticket Committee. They want me to be Captain of my rodeo team of 74 volunteers. Traditionally three years experience as Assistant Captain was required before even being considered for a Captain’s position.

I will report back in a couple of days about the results of the interview.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 06-19-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Well done will watch for the stories of this year's event in the other sections

Proud of you.
    Everyone can see how awesome you are like we get to.
    Thinking about you and the interview today I know you will nail it.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

You go, girl! Best wishes on getting to be the captain! Proud of you! Love you, sis! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member
    Good luck with the interview, but you really wont need it!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It is now official, I will be the Captain of my rodeo team this coming season!

I have much to do before the season starts.

Congraulations, Jeri Ann!

Congratulations!
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Administrator

Congrats, Sis! I knew you had it! Best wishes with your new position! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Ah-May-Lee
    I always wanted to be a rodeo clown, takes courage. Think about this. When a bull rider falls off the bull, they send clowns from a barrel to save him.

Anyway, Jen, good for you. Have fun with it.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Thanks everyone. This is a really big deal. Never before has anyone reached the Captain level of leadership without first serving as Assistant Captain for three years. I was Assistant Captain for only one season. Considering that I am the only trans woman that I know of to volunteer for Rodeo Houston it is an even bigger deal.

I remember when it was illegal to present as a woman in Houston. Trans women were arrested regularly. It was very risk for me to come to Houston for a few hours of being myself but I did many times. Where I lived it was an impossibility. I was 30 years old when that changed.

After my promotion was announced yesterday morning I got to work. My replacement had been selected but she needed to be contacted. After several hours she responded to my message to call me. Before I could announce her appointment I needed to personally tell the other applicants that someone else got the position. It took all day to do that and announce the appointment via Facebook and email.

I absolutely DREADED the task of talking on the phone because my voice is the one thing that has not been possible to change. In the past I would drive two hours for a face to face in order to avoid a phone conversation. I had no choice but talk to people on the phone. It went well. Over and over I find that my team members not only respond well to me but look up to me.

My transition was very costly in many ways. Fear of loosing everything that mattered kept me from transitioning earlier. Like so many others I got to the point that pretending to be someone I wasn’t just couldn’t be done any longer. The reasons why I was convinced that transition would not be successful no longer mattered. Too tall, big hands, voice, none of that mattered.

I suppose you could say that my transition has been successful. I have managed to find myself and live my truth. For me it was kinda like traveling to another planet and surviving in a different world. I never set out to volunteer with Rodeo Houston. I didn’t know anything about it. My sister had been a volunteer and asked me if I wanted to try it.

My sister no longer volunteers with the Rodeo. She was a troublemaker and told not to come back. I stayed and now I am Captain of the team she served on for ten years. We no longer talk. It breaks my heart to loose my last family member but I never could change the transphobia and bigotry in her world. I have a new family now, the 74 members of my rodeo team.

So I continue with my transition, finding myself and my purpose.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 06-29-2023 at 08:29 AM.

It is a huge big deal!

I appreciate you telling your journey gives others hope.
    Very much successful finding yourself and your purpose Jeri Ann

Proud and Happy for you

F.A.B. Forum Access

Administrator

Let me add my congratulations to Jeri Ann. This is indeed a huge deal, for her and for the TG community. Ever since I have known her, Jeri Ann has embodied the concept of service to others. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is made possible each year by some 35,000 volunteers. It is no surprise at all to me that some of the leaders in that group have recognized both her spirit of giving and her skill at leadership. What has been a surprise, frankly, is how little has been made of her gender identity. I mean... we're talking about the world's largest rodeo, deep in the heart of Texas. Jeri Ann's success in that organization is a towering testament to her unflinching courage and to her dedicated service to the community. I am beyond proud to call her my best friend.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Congratulations Jeri Ann

Congratulations Jeri Ann on the achievement!

Marion

Platinum Member
    Congratulations, Jeri Ann! Both and honor, and what sounds like a hell of a lot of work!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks Kim. Yes, it is a lot of work. The rodeo season doesn’t start until February with the World Championship BBQ Cookoff, then 20 days of Rodeo. Before then will be many meetings, socials and trainings. The twelve teams that comprise The Midway Ticket Committee bring in much of the money that will go towards scholarships. Each team of 74 operate under the direction of a Captain who is relied on to know everything and have all the answers.

However! The very most important detail has been taken care of. I have selected my outfit for the Kickoff Party that will take place in January. Effective leaders formulate effective plans. I plan to look hot at the party. Still hoping to meet that rich rancher.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 07-08-2023 at 10:55 AM.

You're wearing that?
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    So cool Jeri Ann! Congratulations! What a huge and important thing you are doing. I find it is these daily acts of living that we trans humans do that help to bring about the change of perception so needed by many within conservative enclaves. Good for you, you go girl!

congratz on your achievement, sounds like a demanding task to volunteer for.

sorry to hear about your sis not being on board.

hope you meet that rancher....rich or poor.....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that