Thread: A small step

A small step

Went to visit the mother-in-law this past week. It is between 14 to 15 hours of driving one way. We used to make in a day, but since I am the only one that can drive, we make it a 2 day trip now.

A couple weeks ago, my wife suggested that since I want to be out in public while being dressed as a woman, why not dress on the way down and on the way back.

I wanted to blend in, so the wife and I both wore jeans and a t-shirt. She doesn't wear make-up and neither do I so I guess we could pass as girlfriends or maybe sisters. I also was wearing women's tennis shoes and a pocket bra with my forms and I was also wearing a wig.

i had no trouble getting out and putting gas in the car, or even helping my wife in and out of the car, but after the first day we stopped at our normal motel and I walked up to the door. I thought it was strange that there was no cars in the parking lot, but we stopped anyway. The door going into the lobby was locked, not sure why it was closed. Well, I spotted another motel across the highway. As we were driving up, I lost all nerve. I removed both my wig and breast forms (but left my bra on) to check into the motel. I am kind of glad I did, since there were a bunch of contruction workers there outside the motel and I know I wouldn't have felt as comfortable.

The next day I got up and only wore my jeans, t-shirt, and women's tennis shoes for the second day of traveling down to the mother-in-law's city. My wife never said anything or even ask any questions about the way I was dressed.

On the way back the first day I did wear a bra with my breast forms, but again I pulled out the forms before checking into the motel. Not sure why I lost my nerve since I was looking forward to being dressed out in public. But all my clothing I was wearing were women's clothing. Something is better than nothing.

The second day on our way back I only was wearing my women's clothes with my breast forms again. After a couple of hours of driving, my wife asked why I wasn't wearing my wig, and I told her I was disappointed in myself and just wasn't in the mood. Well she said we still had most of the day, and I could wear it and go into a gas station. I put on my wig and continued driving and at the next stop, the wife and I walked into the gas station together to get something to drink. The clerk said "Hello Ladies". Not sure if she made me and was trying to make me feel good about myself or if I actually fooled her. When we left the clerk said "Thanks ladies". The little town we stopped in is in the middle of Kansas. No big city, maybe a population of 2,000 people. There were no problems and I did very little talking, but the clerk had to know I was a guy dressed as a woman.

This trip has given me a little confidence, and maybe it might lead me to head out more while being dressed.

I'd say that's more than a small step! I understand losing your nerve. Sometimes it feels like it's easy, other times ...a challenge.

Platinum Member
    Every step is meaningful, regardless of the length of stride, as long as it is a step in the right direction. I think you actually took several long steps on the trip.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks JulieC & kimdl93 for your words of encouragement

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    Wow! Even with the nerves rattling a little that must have been an awesome experience overall.
    Part-time crossdresser, full-time human

You did very well - you have a great wife

You have a very understanding and accepting wife. Glad to hear you were able to drive at least part way down and back dressed. Hope you were able to have a good visit with the mother-in-law. Were you ever able to figure out why your normal motel was locked? Did they suddenly go out of business or was it remodeling?
    The Pink Fog will be with you, always!

Don't underestimate just what a big step that was. Those first sorties out are potentially the biggest we ever take.

I would say next time, regardless of whether or not your wife wears makeup, apply a little foundation, blusher, eye shadow and lippy. We need that help to hide our maleness. Don't go mad with it. Less is often more. Enough is a good as a feast, get my drift?

You did the right thing in that you dressed like so many of the woman around you. Hiding in plain sight and it does get easier. Shopping next?

I have had a few incidents of lack of confidence. You seemed to have handled yours well and got back out there.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Sounds like you have a wife that supports you and had a great first step. My I recommend you find a place in town (or neighboring town) that gives makeovers it also helps you learn make up. It helped me 100% with my confidence after you and your wife can plan some shopping and maybe a nice dinner.

That was a huge step!! May we all have your courage!!?.Sylvia

Your wife is so sweet sounds like you two had a great girlfriend trip.

That sounded like it was a great trip, especially with a sopprtive wife and there were some bigger steps then you believe. I know what you mean about losing the nerve to do things. Sometimes I get so excited when I'm about to do something I always wanted and then when it really comes down to it I lose my nerv. I guess I want something that I believe will never happen and when it does it catches us off guard. I believe I will be reading more from you because the little steps start to get easier to climb and you will probably want to try to climb the bigger ones soon. I'm sure the way you describe your wife she will be there next to you to help you up those stairs. Cheers

Diane P Had a good visit with the mother-in-law, and no idea why the motel was locked. When we came back, had to stop at a Wal-Mart which is on the other side of town, and I saw a different motel just down the road

Helen The only time I've worn make-up is when the wife put some on me one day. And I do understand where less is more. The more you put on the more it is noticeable, and I would prefer to blend in.

alwayshave Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Connie Yes, it is nice to have a supportive wife. And as far as going to a neighboring town, not sure how that would work. We were shopping one time 100 miles away and ran into my niece that live in the same town as us.

Sylvia88 If it wasn't for my wife I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to go into a gas station. I've driven around early in the morning when it was still dark dressed as a woman, but never had the courage to step out of the car except at our house.

Jillcder Yes it was a nice trip as "girlfriends", even though I wasn't fully dressed the entire trip down and back.

Maria Yes my wife is very supportive, even though I know she would be a little happier if I stopped crossdressing, but she will always be supportive of everything I do. I was excited as we left for our trip and after a little bit the excitement left and it just started to seem normal being dressed and driving.

Thanks for everyone's support here.

I know I will never be able to dress in the town we live in since it isn't very big, and there are too many closed-minded people here. There is one transgendered here in our town, and as they were making the transition, they would go out dressed as a woman, but since this is a smaller town, everyone knew about them. At work I heard the negative comments about them, and I didn't have the courage to stand up for them, but I never said anything bad either I just sat there and listened to comments about them.

Enoy each step and build that confidence......look for support to confirm those inner needs....

Well done on your confidence. I've only driven whilst dressed once and that was to the local drive-thru...I worn a black skirt,tights and a plain unisex t-shirt with a bra underneath but I was so nervous. My wife even went in to order & collect as I didn't have the nerve to use the drive thru as I thought they would see below the door line...very doubtful I know.

I've gotten gas at 4AM dressed in cute clothes, and I think that's a huge accomplishment. Can't imagine doing what you did. Congrats!

Traveling en femme with your wife is a HUGE step! Don't worry about hotel clerks, etc. One thing I did when I was worrying about them last week was to remind myself that a national hotel chain is not going to want to be labeled as unfriendly to LGBTQ+ customers. If I ever am hassled, I will take names and complain to Corporate.

Hike up your big girl britches and get back out there!
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Hay, you got out, that's what counts! And like others have said, most of, if not all of have lost our nerve before.

Thanks for everyone's support and praise on my small step last week.