Thread: A long and winding road

A long and winding road

So here i am at 42 and at a bit of a crossroads in my life with regards to whether or not Siobhan is a temporary measure that can be brought out as and when or is she my future!

Where i work is a broad mix of male and female, different ethinicities and backgrounds so as to how any kind of response to a colleague coming out as trans and potentially transitioning will provoke quite a varied reaction across the board. Not withstanding where i work is also extremely customer facing (public transport) so i will be fighting some aspects of an uphill battle for acceptance. To that end in the last week i've chosen to come out to a few of my female friends and colleagues (will build up to the blokes lol).

The first was my best friend Rachel and over a phone call last week i just said i want to send you a picture and see what you say. Her response was so nonchalant 'ok, that's cool. Does she have a name' that it blew me away and we chatted a bit more on the phone and i said, you can ask me anything and her next question was 'What size boobs do you have, they better not be bigger than mine?' I couldn't have asked for a cooler, more disarming question and as it went on i never thought i'd ever have an outloud chat where i said the word vaginoplasty! lol

So back at work this morning and i thought no time like the present to talk to some others and first up was Clare (who is like a mum to me), phone comes out. I bring up a tasteful photo of me and just show it. She has a good stare and just looks up and says 'so who's this then, new girlfriend?' i just replied, no that's me. Next thing i know i'm getting a big hug and we're settling down to long chat about this, that and the other whilst i try to explain what i think might be going on with me. Her conclusion, 'Be who you need to be, we're all here for you and find your path'. I couldn't have wished for such great initial reactions.

Now i know that future reveals and such like will not always be so easy but at least the initial getting things off of my chest has gone ok. So as i search for a path that suits, whatever that is. I've survived day one (if we can call it that).

Sorry for the war and peace but just feel i needed to tell some other ladies how it's potentially starting for me.
    Siobhan x

https://www.flickr.com/photos/siobhanmelissa

It's early days, of course, but what you've shared so far seems encouraging. Good luck on your journey, Siobhan.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

It’s a great beginning. Take it slow, move forward and be true to yourself.

I'm glad you had a break through...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Your post is not long at all and I enjoy reading about how people are finding acceptance among their friends and family. Good luck as you follow the call of your path.

Take the small steps with confidence in the growing support. Surround yourself with the positive vibes and just adapt and overcome the negative ones.

Sounds promising.
    I know my friend was advised to keep a journal. It really helped her keep a record of feelings and thoughts and things we’re developing and evolving.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Hi Siobhan,

I have known two people who also worked in customer facing jobs.

Both actually went a step further and actually appeared in a TV documentary.

Both Transitioned and never seem to have difficulties they could not overcome.

They are both in the UK.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

What a heartwarming story Siobhan. You have wonderful friends and colleagues .Good luck for the future whatever path you choose to take.

Im so happy for you. Glad that went well. Wish you many more good days!!
    "Be excellent to each other" (Wyld Stallyons)

"Marches alone cant bring integration, if human respect is disintegrating" (Barry McGyuire)