Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we talk about hair?

Unfortunately, with the bald spot I have, I have no choice but to go with a wig. But that means doing my hair is pretty much the shortest part of getting ready.

I love my wigs, in fact the only thing I don't like about them is watching in the mirror as I take it off; heavy sigh.

Go for it! Wigs can be useful, and I appreciate the variety of styles one can have at their disposal. But for my money, there is nothing quite as satisfying as real, long hair.

How you get it cut/styled will depend very much on your hair type. For example, my hair is very fine. It can be difficult for me to tie back, because it falls out. Or when I try to curl it, it can be tough to get the curls to hold. I usually ask my stylist to cut it just off the shoulder, with a little face framing. Anything longer than that, I find it hard to get enough volume to make it look good.But the cut works for me. It can be styled either mass or femme, and my very talented stylist can make it look great with a blowout. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of good, recent photos. But the one I've included should give you some idea of what works for me.

IMG_4612.jpg

Don't be afraid to shop around for the right stylist, either. I've had some good ones and bad ones over the years. My current one is my wife's stylist, and she's great. I always feel so good walking out with my curls bouncing. Keep us posted on your hair journey!
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Getting fresh color as I read this. I'm happy to stay the same color. Got to keep the gray away

Aspiring Member
    Though my hair is thick enough to look acceptable from the front, my huge bald spot in back rules out growing my own. It is wigs for me. I try to get mine in my natural color so my eyebrows and skin tone blend welll wit( my hair and do not contrast needlessly.

I have had good fortune with wigs. A good wig band keeps them in place. I put money into them, so what I buy, I can style easily. My wigs, with good care and not too frequent use, they last a long time. I now have three that are top quality synthetic pieces and two other that are cheap but manageable. About a year ago, I just retired my favorite wig at 25 years service, replacing it with the exact same model and color.

It takes a few hours to get accustomed to them but I soon feel as if they are a natural part of my head. More expensive fibers usually wear nicely and itch less. And taste better. I grew up in a place with hot humid summers, so hot weather in a hot wig does not bother me.

I like the range of styles available, a different hairstyle, a different wig for nearly every day of the week. They can be put on and taken off quickly and easily. Styling them off my head is a convenience that makes a wig look great and its hairstyle as creative as I happen to feel. Wigs are work but I find them worth the effort. And my bald spot, as I said, gives me little alternative.

I hope this works out for your, Dani.

My alternative suggestion is to visit a good hair stylist.
    And see if she can find a good "fall", extension or hairpiece.
    Easy to attach with pins or clips as the need arises. Glue? Sew it on--that is up to you.
    You can get her to color and style your regular hair to match. Curls? Streaks? Waves? Perm?

Board-Certified Shaman LaSirenaBella's Avatar
    I'm used to wearing wigs. My own hair is extremely thin, especially at my hairline and crown. Wearing wigs to bother me more in the summertime, but I just go wefted wigs most of the time. I wear short/medium styles, and they make it easy to finish off my look. I appreciate the pros that Abby mentioned. I also try and get higher-quality wigs, if I can help it. I like changing colors and styles anyway, although I've gravitated to a more limited range as I've gotten older.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sirena Rivera
    "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing." - Theodor S. Geisel

Danni,
    Your hair looks really nice in your pic.

Wigs are very easy to make look nice and easy to take care of but are hot in the summer. I would get so hot with one on in the summer my face would sweat.

Over the last year or so I've let my hair grow out to the point I no longer wear wigs I had long hair to begin with. I've had a few comments from people that know me that I look like an old hippie.

I get blond highlights every 6-8 weeks or so the stylist simply cuts my ends. I usually wash my hair everyday and use a good conditioner. It is so true its much easier to style your hair if you don't wash it everyday.
    When I wash and style my hair I use a blowout serum the blowout serum is key to make my thin hair better looking. I part on the side brush it us as i blow dry it then use a light hairspray to hold. On the days I don't wash my hair which I actually plan because it is so much easier to make your hair look good if you didn't wash it that day I brush my hair up using a very light styling gel then spray.
    My profile pic is a Raquel Welch wig.

A few years ago I wouldn't let my hair grow this long do to work. I'm very close to retirement I don't care now, work is usually a difference maker on your hair length.
    K2B.jpg
    Last edited by KristyPa; 03-23-2024 at 02:20 PM.