Thread: Realistic body image

Realistic body image

I sometimes wonder how realistically we see ourselves -- how objectively we can see ourselves -- when we look in the mirror. I know that some people literally see themselves, for example, as fatter or thinner than they really are. Distorted body image. I'm not real happy with my body (obviously) so I'm probably biased in some way. Or maybe I idealize what I see, who knows?

First I Googled "male 5'9" 200lbs", and when the overall results came up, I clicked the Images button at the top. It was... highly instructive. Lot of variety, but it wasn't hard to find "myself".

Then I changed it to female, to see what a woman of my height and weight would actually look like. What is the best I can possibly hope for, results-wise?

Then, knowing that I'd only look like that if my existing body fat was redistributed to hips and breasts, I added 10 pounds for forms and lower padding. All of my padding is silicone, but even if it was foam, the real thing would add at least than much. My C forms alone add 3.5 pounds.

Anyway, it taught me some things about my "two bodies" so I thought I'd bring it up.
    Last edited by Lisa Gerrie; 02-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
    "Don't hate me just for wanting to feel beautiful."

SO, as I didn't do the numbers!

WE are who we are, No designer bodies girl.
    YEH we can do all kinds if magic to ?GO there.
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Interesting question. As a total guy with feminine tastes, i don't have the complication of female/male self. I just have me. I think i have a fairly realistic self image. I'm 5'8" and currently 190 but usually closer to 200 pounds. At sixty-eight, my body has definitely made a slide south along with a few more creases than i had when I was younger. My ideal would be to have the body I had in my mid thirties, well before I started dressing. I weighed 156 and was lean and muscular. I actually had a six pack back then and could wear 29-30" jeans. I'd love to have the options in my newer wardrobe that that size would give me.

I currently wear 38" jeans and my belly is my biggest liability. it's not huge, but it disrupts the lines of a lot of the things I'd like to wear. I don't want hips. I like my itty-bitties. I like that I can flex a little in the mirror and can still have a moderate v. I like my maleness, but I like balancing that with feminine cues.

If I were able to choose exactly the body i wanted. It would be a more fit version of my current body.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

Platinum Member
    I like to think I am reasonably objective about my body image, being fairly tall (6’2”), athletically built and 226. I rely on a full length mirror and camera to scrutinize my proportions. Of course I use moderate breast forms and shapewear, but I think the silicon hip pads are the greatest contributor towards my attaining convincingly feminine hip/shoulder proportions. like height and hands, some physical attributes simply can’t be disguised.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 02-22-2024 at 07:01 AM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I feel I'm realistic about my body image.
    At 5'11" and about 200 I know I have an inverted triangle body shape and I try to dress it in clothes that women with that figure type would wear to create a more feminine image. My shoulders are wider than my hips. It's always been a struggle as I love dresses but they don't properly fit without a lot of padding in the hips/butt. Tops for me are a 20 (tall please) but skirts/slacks are only a 14, 16 if I have full padding on. Typically I wear separates to help define my shape.
    I'm not alone as many women have this type as well. I've learned what works and what doesn't and I'm pretty happy with it.

Of course I'd love to have an hourglass figure, but I don't, so I play the hand I'm dealt.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Hip and butt pads. forms, and waist slimmers like a corset do wonders for fooling the eye., but you did get me thinking. I have not actually weighed myself will all of that attire on, and I shudder to think what it adds to my weight. My traveling suitcase weighs close to 50 lbs. it takes a lot of silicone to give me a feminine figure. Even so, I think the results are pretty impressive when done correctly. Like Kim said. The hip pads do help a lot with the figure. Many CDs skip on using hip pads. Dresstech pads have a great shape to them.

Sandi

I am 6', 155 lbs. and have no hips at all. I've been thinking about buying some hip/butt pads but I don't wear a lot of tight dresses or skirts so I am kind of ambivalent about it. I kind of like the way I look without them anyway.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have a very realistic body image!

I'm a skinny guy with a unfem: short waist, chest, waist and shoulders. 5' 9" and 155.

But, by adding pads and with shaping devices I can create attractive: average, hourglass, full, and extremely exaggerated fem figures!

Since I'm just a CD with no woman inside, my main motivation is to see an attractive woman in my mirror that is NOTHING LIKE the male me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I'll flip it and say I have an unrealistic body image when I am imaging myself. At six foot and 200 pounds I am a decent guy. My doctor told me recently that for a "man your age, you're in remarkably good health!" I've mentioned it before on this site that the eye sees what the mind wants to see. The image in the mirror is in no way the same as a picture. I am not an inverted triangle; run, 42-38-40. I do not don hip or butt pads; enhanced breasts, yes. I choose to wear dresses that do not have a defined waist; wraps, empire waists and sheaths.

Knowing close up, face to face, that I don't pass leaves me with the task of having the best body shape that I can.

Since the start of the pandemic I've slowly lost weight, flattened my beer belly, haven't got the roll of fat that used to squeeze out of the top of a corset or leave clear lines where my bra was. A better defined, higher waistline when coupled to the right padding now gives me what I think is a more femme shape.

Experience while out and about leads me to believe that with the right mannerisms, walk being the main one, my appearance is good enough for me to be seen by the casual observer as being female.

Size 18 tops, 16 skirts, means while I do have that male triangle shape it's not too exaggerated and the hip and bum padding evens things out.

So when I look in the full length mirror what I see pleases me. Not 100% perfect but it does the job nicely.

I realized long ago that my body was not particularly feminine and that I needed to do something about that. So for years I have been working on modifying my body, exercising, selectively reducing areas and increasing other areas. And it has worked fairly well. But I still do use corsets and girdles and have rear and hip padding. I no longer require any assistant or padding on top more than a good push-up bra. 5 foot 8 with measurements of 44 - 33 - 43. I do think that my body shape fits within the range of female body types or within a standard deviation. It was a lot easier when I was younger. But I am still a work in progress, trying to get close to being an average female shape.
    Last edited by Karren H; 02-22-2024 at 07:16 AM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

You bring up some good points. I suspect how objective we are varies with mood and the current operation of your Sense of Self. It isn't too difficult to convince yourself you look better than you do, but that can work the other way as well. Determining the objective view of yourself probably can't really be done well by yourself because of a tendency for the ideal image to creep into the conclusions and color the results. And photos aren't any better than fleeting moments with views in the mirror. Perhaps someone who doesn't even know you might do better on the objective assessment but that can also get mixed up with varying concepts of what is good and what isn't. Maybe the realistic view is to try to be somewhere in the ballpark with what you see than in the next county. If you are reasonably happy with your look does it really matter what the image is in the objective world compare to some concept of what is ideal with respect to your cultural standards? Personally I am not very concerned about striving for the best image as that often results in disappointment; for me the goal is to be presentably female-like while forgetting about some ideal. How many GG's are completely satisfied with their look? Probably not many. It is easy to find faults, but much harder to strive for some more or less idealistic model. Some "tells" will always creep into the total image. It's OK.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    My own body does not look all that feminine itself. So my dresses are selected to hide most of my flaws. I think I have a "good enough" face though, and I like my arms and I have great legs. I don't think I look good enough to go out in public, but I can at least SEE what "I am supposed to look like", as a woman through my photographs, where I can control the poses, viewing angles and lighting. So far that is ENOUGH for me, even if I don't have quite the body for being seen "Live".

I'm blessed to have a petite frame, 5ft 6 145-150 and some feminine features. The first time I walked into my therapists office she actually thought I was another female client lol. I still try to avoid dressing which is not age appropriate.

I'm 5'9" and currently about 150 pounds. That's definitely within the (3 sigma) range of a typical girl. My legs aren't anything to brag about, but with shapeware and hip and butt padding, I have a defined waist and I almost have curves. I can also wear typical women's bracelets, necklaces and rings. If I get help with makeup and dress appropriately, I have a chance at passing at 10 feet. I do have a heavy beard so I don't have any misconceptions about whether I can pass at 5 feet. But, that's good enough for me.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I'm sorry but women come in all sizes and shapes So I don't think to much about my looks,

Rachel I think the same, it works for me, padded bra and what little I have and I am good to go, also perhaps that I am living day to day helps.

I know what I have and it's nowhere near what I see in my mind. It certainly causes me dysphoria, but I try to dress as best as I can to at least move in the direction of where I want to be. I'm also exercising to build the kind of curves I want to have. Truth is that the only way I will ever get close to what I want is HRT.

I have a petite 32A-25-34 figure that makes it really easy to find clothes.

Dieting got the weight down but I needed to exercise to trim the last few inches off the waistline.

I play golf on hilly executive course and walk for more exercise.

It didn't work for me goggling..but I only get woman's figure with a corset...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

I'm 5-8 135 and I definitely like to stay toned to keep as much of a girly figure as possible. I think I look really feminine in most of my wardrobe (mostly lingerie) and don't really feel the need to accessorize other than forms.

While I would prefer a more masculine body, it's not too bad. It means it's efficient for what I need it to do, but doesn't look overly bad in some dresses.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I am like Jessica I need to stay toned to keep my girly figure. I am 5' 11 1/2" 178 lbs. I wear pads and forms that add ~10 lbs YUCK.
    I fit into a sz 10-12 gg jeans and XL tops. I want to loose 2 dress sizes not sure I can do it but I will try.