Thread: Before you had a wig?

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar

Before you had a wig?

What did you use for "Hair" before you had a wig?

Back in the day when us older CDs started and were kids,(Early 1960's) WIGS were both very expensive and very hard to find. in my early CD days (12-14) I had access to everything I needed EXCEPT hair---boys wore short hair then too.

I figgured that if I didnt have long hair, I could HIDE that fact.---I tried first a scarf---Tied under my chin, but I hated THAT look----I looked like an old lady or some kind of european refugee IMO. SO I tried other arrangements that worked--Such as the scarf around my head and the ends looped and tied around my neck---as was fashionable in some situations then. Also I tried a scarf around my head---tied in back or in front at my forehead---These looked good also and also worked great with a wide brimmed straw hat.

The best, substitute, for a wig, however was one of the sort of tall, fake fur hats,(Quite popular then) of my mothers, that covered the entire top and back of my head---it even gave a sort of a "Hair look"---I used the hats and scarfs until my mother finally got a wig in 1965---

Hi Marina,

I used a scarf with one end wrapped around and tucked in so it covered the sides and back of my head.
    cheers,
    Star

Sometimes demure.... Anne Charlotte's Avatar
    I had my own long, flowing and curly girly hair.......

how I miss it !!
    Live the high life.......wear 5 inch heels !!!

LOL Annie C

It's Just Not Steak Without A-1

Boy in drag without hair is like a day without sunshine RIGHT?

I was lucky enought to have spent the better part of my "wasted" youth in the 80's playing in rock bands. Spandex, eyeliner, and a ton of naturally curly hair down to my butt. Pass the Aqua Net!!! Big hair rules!

GypsyKaren
    I used to have my own hair (those were the days!), strawberry blonde half-way down my back.

Karen

Banned Read only
    My own hair or a headscarf looked fine.
    It's quite easy to pass as a girl if you're a slightly built teenage boy.
    Those were the days.
    Absolutely wonderful to be able to wander about in a skirt and nobody taking a blind bit of notice!

I had my own lon hair... That was the mid seventies period. Long hair in males were fairly well accepted.

Unfortunately the bald spot on the top of my head became ever larger so now I have to wear a wig.

Love.

Eugenie

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Just the scarf, noosed around my neck for the tying. While then my hair was long, the wig came very quickly.
    Wonderful days the sixties, gone alas but never forgotten.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Hair

Back then, much older that a teen, I had shoulder length hair and could style it to look feminine. I was very lucky, and my hair actually looked quite good. Even now, I go out with my own hair every now and then. Wigs are a real blessing!

Eileen

My hair was quite long then but I hardly ever left my room and had no mirror so I couldn't scare myself. On the few occasions when I did use the mirror in my sisters' room I was not looking at my hair so it didn't matter.

Before I actually got a wig, I literally did without. I still liked the clothes. Once I got a wig, though, I never looked back. I wondered how I'd ever managed without one. One thing is for sure, I'll never be without one again!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I had long hair in college. Strangely enough, I was hanging around in college with the local "Rocky Horror Picture Show" fanatics, and they all remarked that my hair was a perfect match for Tim Curry's "Frank N. Furter" look. Before too long I was the guy wearing the corset and fishnets in the front. Pretty convenient to be able to hide my crossdressing interest in plain sight!

Erica

PS: Any other ex-Rocky Horror folks here?
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Had my own hair. It was past my shoulders, but was so straight. I tried to curl it many times but the curl would just fall out. I would normaly just wear it back in a ponytail. I loved having long hair, and kept til I was about 35.

Before I had a wig my hair was longer and use to style it in a short fem looking way.... very unattractive!!!! LOL

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Sadly, when I was young and had long beautiful golden red hair extending below my belt, I did not have the privacy, money, or self acceptance to fully dress. I certainly had the desires, but I fest so guilty and knew if my father found out he would have beat the s__t out of me.

I hardly had a chance to dress during those years. It almost makes me cry to think back on it, I would have been such a pretty girl if I had known the things I know today.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

hair

Yes I remember it used to have it down my back in the 60s wish i could now grow it that long but think the bald patch would give the game away. hehehe
    steph:blushing:
    Spelling bad because the fairies make love on my keyboard.