Thread: What have you girls done when you lose a toenail?

What have you girls done when you lose a toenail?

Hi girls
    I had a minor accident recently when I opened a broken and very sharp door jam directly into my big toe nail (UGH!) and it eventually separated and came off.
    Normally, I love to keep my toenails painted but what does one do when the biggest nail is gone? Has anybody tried the fake nails (even though they're fingernails) or anything else? The podiatrist said it will be a year until it grows back. I love to wear open-toed heels especially in the nice weather. Any suggestions would be very happily received.

I ride my Harley enfemme btmgrl6's Avatar

toe nails

They also sell fake toe nails.... I kid you not. try your local drug store
    hope ur toe feels better ouch! Omnly thing is.. I don't know how you'ed attach it. Gluing it directly to the skin might not be a good thing. Some come with double side sticky's tho..maybe that would work/ good Luck
    Last edited by btmgrl6; 05-02-2006 at 11:36 PM.

I don't know if this will work or not
    how about a fake toenail ?
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

I think I saw some artificial toenails, or, oversized nails at WalMart.

When the nail bed heals a bit you can just fake it by putting polish on the nail bed. The new nail wilk grow right in over it. It looks akay and ubless you have someone sucking on your toes it probably will go unnoticed.
    Dawn

I limped

This is who I am, accept Jeanette TS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby Lauren
    Hi girls
    I had a minor accident recently when I opened a broken and very sharp door jam directly into my big toe nail (UGH!) and it eventually separated and came off.
    Normally, I love to keep my toenails painted but what does one do when the biggest nail is gone? Has anybody tried the fake nails (even though they're fingernails) or anything else? The podiatrist said it will be a year until it grows back. I love to wear open-toed heels especially in the nice weather. Any suggestions would be very happily received.

Hi well i was in a motorbike accident many years ago, I lost my big toenail and it will never grow back, all i do is paint them the same as the rest and i wear strappy sandals all the time. I have found that not many look at my toes just my legs. so no big deal here. I most say i have never stuck a fake nail on so i can't say if it would stay on all night out dancing. If it fell off then they may look.

Jeanette

Banned Read only
    Put it under your pillow before you go to sleep.
    And in the morning when you awake the "toenail fairy" will have left you some money and you can buy some "fake toenails?", (I don't believe it !).

Hey girls
    I appreciated all your suggestions, from the practical to the hysterical one about the Toenail Fairy. I will also inquire from a manicurist (I may be having one this coming Thursday) and will pass on what I may learn. Apparently, there are fake toe nails and one person I spoke with applied glue to the nail bed to affix it. She said it becomes tough enough to do that but mine is still a bit tender to the touch. I also thought of putting on a bandaid and gluing the nail onto that. Painting the nail bed is a thought but I think it might look quite messy.
    Since the podiatrist got rid of the actual nail, I wonder if the toenail Fairy would accept a brand new fake nail under my pillow.

now that's funny, I just tore half mine off moving a dresser earlier. Listen up girls... no matter how cute the sandals are, wear shoes when moving furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-p
    I had almost the same thing happen; the nail was a disaster... Now putting fake nails on sounds like a good idea, but when the nail is just starting to grow back you can actually harm it (grow back all funny, at least that's what my doctor told me).. I asked at a cosmetics counter and they suggested Sally Hanson’s NATURAL NAIL GROWTH ACTIVATOR. You brush it on like nail polish and that's it.. My big toe nail completely grew back in about 5 - 6 months.. and you would never know it was complexly destroyed....
    Hope that helps..
    I have a badly damaged big toenail that is regrowing, but is not attached to the nail bed any more. I will probably have to have it removed completely. This is a bigger procedure than you might expect and leaves people hobbling on sticks for a few days.

Tip: Don't wear sandals when lifting rocks

Stick-on toe nails at wall mart. First Kiss I think.

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette TS
    Hi well i was in a motorbike accident many years ago, I lost my big toenail and it will never grow back, all i do is paint them the same as the rest and i wear strappy sandals all the time. I have found that not many look at my toes just my legs. so no big deal here. I most say i have never stuck a fake nail on so i can't say if it would stay on all night out dancing. If it fell off then they may look.

Jeanette
    Jeanette, I have wondered for three years what to do. I had surgery and had my big toe nails removed and they will never grow back. Thanks for your input. Question though, how hard is it to get off once you paint them?

April Marie
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

Follow-up

Just thought I'd let you know that I've bought some fake toe nails and the Sally Hansen product that Jean-p recommended. They say they guarantee nail growth in 5 days- and there are 2 different products. I also found that the big fingernail of the Kiss set seems to fit as well. How to affix it is still an issue but I will be experimenting and let you know.

This is who I am, accept Jeanette TS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by April Marie
    Jeanette, I have wondered for three years what to do. I had surgery and had my big toe nails removed and they will never grow back. Thanks for your input. Question though, how hard is it to get off once you paint them?

April Marie
    Hi very easy I have no problem at all, It wipes off with nail varnish remover alot easier than the real nail. Mind you i am never with out my toes painted anyway All you have to do is make sure that you don't go over bored with it as it sticks out like a sore toe hope this helps you.

Jeanette x

Thank you Jeanette. BTW, your avatar is very nice.

April Marie
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.