Thread: Male student came to class in a skirt

Male student came to class in a skirt

I teach high school science. Several weeks ago I entered my class room just as the tardy bell started to ring. I heard the kids laughing, which was completely normal, but as I got inside the room, I could see why they were laughing. One of the boys had on a denum mini skirt with short pleats. No one said anything critical. The girls found it especially humerous.

The first thought in my mind was that maybe they knew some how that I wore skirts at home every day. I did not react except to show that I was also ammused and let him just be in class the whole time wearing the skirt. I did want to ask him why he did not shave his legs. One other teacher (woman) came by and had a weakly negative attitude, but said little about it.

Good for you! The less society makes a big deal out of the issue of clothes (genderwise) the better off society as whole will be.

Kimmy P.

P.S. Did you ever find out if this was what he wanted to do, a dare, punishment? I at least hope he wanted to wear the skirt if he was going to get laughed at.

A friend of my daughter wore dresses to school from time to time through his years in high school. He was a well-known, popular boy in a large high school (about 1500 students). As far as I know, no one made any kind of deal (big or otherwise) about it. He did it to make a point about gender-specific apparel. In his way of thinking, if girls could wear male clothing why couldn't guys wear female clothing. He didn't do make up, jewelry, wigs, or female underwear--just a dress, and a pretty plain one at that.
    I think the less people make of this, the better. I seriously doubt that it had anything to do with your dressing, and I think that you were wise and right to let it go without commentary.
    warmly, Linnea

I would have had to ask him why, and also let him know it didn't matter to you what he wore as long as he did his school work and the dressing didn't interfere with his work.

If it was a result of a dare, lost bet, etc., then I would tell him it was inappropriate, otherwise it was ok.
    DonnaT

Banned Read only
    If he wore kilts no one would say anything? I assume it was not a skirt made for a male?

Also they do not shave their legs they wear long socks at least with kilts.

There are many cultures where men wear "skirts" and one can buy male skirts. I would have no problem with them wish I could wear one. I find pants confining and hot.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I did that all the time in college, but I shaved my legs.
    But I'm glad to see that others are taking the initiative regarding the de-prioritization of gender norms. That makes me happy.

~Charlie
    Last edited by gender_blender; 05-04-2006 at 12:59 AM.

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    All I have to say is---
    GOOD FOR HIM!
    I love reading this kind of stuff.
    They say clothes don't make a person, they make themselves.
    That's not true. SOCIETY makes a person.
    If a person is gay, and society regects it... he goes in the closet. If society accepts him, he is open and comfortable.
    And DEFINITLY if society sees a guy in a skirt, SOMETIMES coments are made and the wearer will hide again. But if no one make anything of it, he feels comfortable.
    Clothes are not a person. But if he/she is comfortable then why not let them wear what they want... as long as they are modest in the dressing.

I speak this now. But to be honest.... I am still afraid to wear a skirt in open public. I don't do ridicule very well.
    However, I have been S-l-o-w-e-l-y.... exposing that I wear "womens" clothes by wearing a leotard under a t-shirt or something an it is obviouse I have a leotard on.... Not a single negitive word or look.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 05-03-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Haley Pink~

Some people would look at it as self expression.

Some people would look at it as self expression. Others as exhibitionism.

Well when the kids in America from the Getto start wearing skirts then it will be popular. I have noticed a trend of the middle class, and upper classes. That is to mimic the crap that is worn in the slums and Gettos of America. Kids wearing pants to big for themselves, and having to hold them up with one hand. Most of the time holding their croch area to get attention. This translates into well bred young adults trying to look like trash, and then trying for High end jobs. That don't happen usually. Where is the parenting BTW?

College kids are trendy. Clothing trends seem to come and go in college. Again if a few Frat Houses did it for more than a week, then they would all possibly do it. Maybe having the House Sign, letters on the skirt, like a kilt might be a certain color and pattern fabric. Each Frat House having their own skirt design. But who knows what Kids will be doing in the future. These clothing trends might make a 180 and all of us will be wearing skirts except genetic women. They will be wearing the pants.
    Haley P. Kemp

I did ask him if this was a dare by someone, but he didn't answer. Someone said they thought he wore skirts at home, too. The kids were taking a test and the dressing didn't bother anyone at all.

Way to go. I salute him and wish I had been able to do this when at school!
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Gender Undecided Fainne the King's Avatar
    One of my male friends in high school wore a skirt to school and the principal made him change because it was "too distracting." It was even a long skirt. I'm glad this student was able to wear what he wanted without getting too much gripe.
    I tried to be a boy
    tried to be a girl
    tried to be a mess
    tried to be the best
    I guess I did it wrong
    -Madonna

[SIZE=3]Hmmn, a young person with the confidence to wear a skirt amongst his peers! I assume he has never worn a blouse or any of sign of femme clothing to school otherwise? It would be interesting to observe him over time to see if it was a 'one off' or there's more to his activities.

I appluade the young man for his convictions and courage!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

I like the story you shared. I wonder if the kid just thought he might get out of doing the test? Or...maybe it was his twin sister who took the test for him :-)

Good for him another sister striking a blow for gender expression.

I have seen more than a few men wearing the same type of skirt you describe. Here on the west coast they call them "man skirts". Allways pleated and kinda short. I wish I had the balls to wear one . I saw a guy wearing one at biker rally and no one seemed to even notice. I kept looking to see who would notice but no noe did.

Petrina cd

Quote Originally Posted by Petrina CD
    I have seen more than a few men wearing the same type of skirt you describe. Here on the west coast they call them "man skirts". Allways pleated and kinda short. I wish I had the balls to wear one . I saw a guy wearing one at biker rally and no one seemed to even notice. I kept looking to see who would notice but no noe did.

Petrina cd
    Sounds like a Utili-Kilt. I haven't bought one because they cost $150 and are made of some of the most macho thick cloth

Banned Read only

Would wear a kilt.

The man skirts do look manly but I still do not have the guts to wear one. Maybe I will get a Irish plad one that looks like a kilt. I would wear that with the long socks,(hose).

I work at a College in a Computer lab so I am not parading around. Only the students that use the lab see me and during the summer session it is not many. Do go for a walk at lunch though.

Might consider it if they air conditioning works as well as it has in the past, lucky for it to be less than 80 and can hover at 90, in this lab with the windows open. This might give me a “reason” to get one if I can convince my wife. Not sure about my Dean though, have to look at the "dress" code first, pardon the pun!

Tha last Scottish gathering I attended, a well known kiltmaker showed a number of what they call "utility kilts". To my thinking, I'd prefer a genuine kilt, since these utility kilts were unpleated, longer than a regular kilt, and had no wrap or buckles. They definitely looked more like a regular womans skirt than a kilt, since they were shown being worn without proper kilt hose, sporran (they had pockets!), belt, etc.

I guess self image plays a huge part. I have no qualms about wearing my kilt in public at Scottish gatherings, but the general, i.e., uninformed, public can create a problem were there should be none. I guess it's what people are used to. Someone with a clue would see immediately that a kilt is in no way similar to a "skirt" when properly worn.

Banned Read only
    Every now and then I have seen men in kilts. I am in California so that is not the norm. I suspect they were at a gathering.

http://www.irishtinker.com/Sweaters/...eltickilts.asp
    Here is a irish kilt that looks like pants with a belt and pockets, Khaki, black or tan. They call it a utility kilt in cotton twill. It is $150 lots of money for something I would only wear for casual at home. Will have to talk to my wife about it though, hope she will not have a problem except for the money, maybe check ebay for a used one.

So are utility kilts for casual wear? And does any one wear them for casual wear in the UK? I think only in SF I would get away with it every day.