Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaving + regrowth?

StephanieCD

shaving + regrowth?

It's not an issue for me yet but I've been thinking...

I want to compromise with myself and set up rules under which I'm "allowed" to dress. And I've been thinking that I might allow myself to shave in the winter, regrow in the spring and be able to take my kid swimming in the summer. My daughter is my primary reason for not shaving... well, among others, but she's my PRIMARY.

Everybody's heard the "don't shave it, it'll grow back thicker and uglier" tale... I've only shaved and stopped once. Who has experience with shaving and stopping and letting it grow back to "male mode"?

Curious - any tales?

Well, in my own experience, they are right. I've shaved everything (yes everything) at least once. My legs and chest have more hair now than before.

I always trim my chest because I don't like long hair. I always keep my privates nice and short too. not bald, but nicely trimmed.
    Charlotte

JoannaDees
    Once a shaven leg girl, always a shaven leg girl. Nobody ever says a thing. I don't know how old your daughter is, but when mine asked I just said because I wanted to. She said with a smile, "OK".

StephanieCD
    I made a promise to my daughter's mother (who knows I cd) that I'd never let it come into her life and I intend to keep that promise. When she's older I fully suspect she'll be a very open minded woman and she'll probably pick up on things but, for now, she's 4 and I think I'll just keep things to myself, ya know?

I shave my legs, arms, chest and under arms all year round and nobody even notices.

Shaved hair does grow in thicker than non-shaved hair because the shaving leaves a flat cut at the thickest part of the hair. When the hair grows out, there is no nice taper to the hair. The hair seems thicker because each hair is now thick from tip to root.

Left alone, the thick hairs will eventually fall out to be replaced by normal tapered hairs.

Its also possible that shaving stimulates the folicles so more of them are active at any one time. If that was the case however, shaving the head would be a possible cure for baldness.

I hope that makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I can speak from personal experience. Shaving the head is NOT a cure for baldness.

Vallari (Goddess) ;)
    Well I shave everything and I can tell you from expierence: If youre gonna start, then plan to keep up with it. For one thing it helps to do it often because you get better at it and can get to doing it quicker and quicker. Second, skipping just a week can make for a much longer shaving time when u choose to do it again. Plus after about a week it itches like well... .
    As far as it growing in thicker is concerned, I havnt noticed any significant increase in hair thickness or density. I think when it grows back since there is no hair their at the moment except for the little follicles coming in, an illusion is created of the hair being thicker then it actually is; Im guessing because thiers nothing else there to draw the eye away from them like shadows n such. I can say I support that theory for dark-black body hairs, but I cant say as far as lighter hair is concerned.

Hehe I think if u do let it grow back the itching will be the primary thing on your mind! Hope this is of help to you

Itching? *scratch scratch* What itching? *scratch scratch*

Unhappy Shaving Chest

I started shaving my chest when I was 18 (I'm 45 now) and I didn't have much hair then, but when I stoped at 24 It was super thick . I don't Know for sure if shaving made it thicker but I think it did. I do know that waxing does make you hair thiner I started waxing my legs when I was 30 (it was thick then) and now if I let it grow out it is thin and sparse . I wish I had started waxing my chest at 18.
    [SIZE=3]Michelle
    "She's Filing Her Nails While They're Draging the Lake"[/SIZE]

Shaving will not make the hair grow in thicker. This is an old wives tale. Hair growth is different at every stage or our lives. When younger, late teens to early twenties we develop more hair. By constantly shaving we do not notice. As we get older we develop less. Hair growth is determined by genetics, medical condition (if applicable) and other factors.

Please take a look at hairfacts.com for more information. There are more websites for those interesed in hair removal.

Yes you can shave in the winter but I'd stop in march to start the regrowth. This will give you about 3 months for regrowth. Should be sufficient. That's my experience. I've now moved on the laser hair removal so I the issue of regrowth is kinda out of the question as my legs are noticeably bare.

Good luck

Platinum Member
    i stopped shaveing the last week in october (deer camp)till the end of december in a few weeks not only am i liveing in a mans boady.......now we look like freeken sasquash
    can't wait to be back to normal (this just leaves dressing at home no going out)

sissyohio
    I have experience with the shaving bit. I have found that the hair grows back finer and softer. Not sure if it is age, type of shaving cream or lotion? Many lotions and shaving creams advertise with extended use you will see results just as I found. I shave every October thru April (Ohio resident).

StephanieCD
    Quote Originally Posted by sissyohio
    I have experience with the shaving bit. I have found that the hair grows back finer and softer. Not sure if it is age, type of shaving cream or lotion? Many lotions and shaving creams advertise with extended use you will see results just as I found. I shave every October thru April (Ohio resident).
    That sounds about right for me... seasonally, you know? I'm just hoping that if I did it (it wouldn't be now anyway) that when June came around I wouldn't be a walking carpet

Then there's that whole "metrosexual" thing with keeping hair trimmed - I could just do that to control it in the summer months... hmmm...

i shave all over. And i find it take roughly 2 days to actually be noticed growing back on the face. 1 week for legs. and 3 days for chest.

love ieya
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    hugs,kisses

love ieya
    xxxxxxxx

love is for those who choose to take it. hate is only a male trait

JennyCD1250

Seasonal Shaving

You got all kinds of good advice. I find that as I get older my hair grows back thinner. Anyway, I start shaving around October 1 and stop around March 15 (push it further every year...lol). Have been doing this for years now. If you want to be safe, stop shaving after Valentines Day and go from there. It also depends when your "shorts" season starts. Mine is around May first. Your leg's hair will obviously grow longer over the Summer but nobody notices.

Shave away and have fun.

Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie9

Yes you can shave in the winter but I'd stop in march to start the regrowth. This will give you about 3 months for regrowth. Should be sufficient. That's my experience. I've now moved on the laser hair removal so I the issue of regrowth is kinda out of the question as my legs are noticeably bare.

Good luck
    Jeannie have you ever used the laser to remove facial hair? I was thinking about starting a thread regarding laser hair removal.

I've shave my legs and I like them that way, my wife doesn't. Since I play soccer and I tape up my ankles all the time I have been shaving my lower calves/ankles I get a tighter and better wrap, they looked like I had soxs so I just shaved the rest of the way up and kept it that way. I regrew them at the end of summer to make my SO happy, after a couple of months they looked man-ly normal. I just shaved them again, once you shave them you'll never want to go back.

I know men that shave their chest area and no one ever says anything about that? I've seen blond men who appear not to have hair on their legs, no one says anything about that either. Sometimes I think that the only obstical in our way comes from within our own minds.

Now how about that laser stuff?

Talking

I have been shaving for over 10 years now I even wear shorts in the summer and nobody usually pays any attention. I never had any chest hairs before it has always been smooth maybe a hair or two. Always keep a fine line in the private part area.

Tonia

shaving

I find it very erotic to shave, and I keep everything but my forearms shaved year round now. It is not a big deal. I mean, who is going to come up to you and say, "I don't see man hair. What's up with that?" I say shave whatever you can when you can. It's hot .

To shave or not to shave.............

I don't buy the shave argument on the legs, at least. I've been shaving my legs since 1975, and I really don't believe they have gotten hairier. In fact, I'd say that are less hairy now than they were then. The face? Well, I don't know. It does seem to be thicker, but my legs, no. I say shave 'em. Your daughter isn't going to notice your legs being shaved if they are always shaved. And if she does, well, don't sweat the small stuff. Sounds like your real obstacle is your wife, or is that ex wife?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyCD
    I can speak from personal experience. Shaving the head is NOT a cure for baldness.
    Oh well. It was only a theory anyway. Drat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JennyCD
    ""THAT'S A BIG TEN FOUR!!"" wenda.

...I have only been shaving for 4 months, but, once you get through the initial shave bumps stage, after that, it is just so rewarding. I found Aveena gel to be an improvement over soap and water. My gf and I both love my shaved legs. I use Jergens 'Naturally Soft' shave minimizing lotion. Use it like a moisturizer. Seems to help. There are lots of threads with good advice on shaving. wenda.

Shaving in a hot bubble bath is most enjoyable for me. Pour in a little bath oil and you don't even need to use shaving lotion. But then again, I'm not that hairy to begin with.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Exclamation Mixed Messages Ah!

Hey girls,

Hair come back thicker hair dosne't come back thicker what to belive what not to belive it's so confusing! ahhh well i shaved my legs before and the hair did come back thicker i also shave and contunie to shave my pits i can't keep my legs shaved becuse pepole DO notice and DO say things although i have gotten pretty good at shaveing i also shave my pits!

Hope this helps!

Love,
    Elisha
    ---
    [SIZE="2"]<3 Becoming Brooke[/SIZE]

I've never shaved above the knees (when I do dress I prefer knee length or longer and it is always in the house) but during the winter I do keep my lower leg shaved. I wear pajama shorts or nightshirts year round and my kids do not even notice. If they ask I just would tell them that that's the way my hair grows. I don't shave during the summer and I notice that there is not a particularly heavy growth, as a matter of fact the few hairs that do grow are finer and sparcer. Same seems to go for the underarms too.