Thread: Just told my mum - an update!

Just told my mum - an update!

As you may have read, on Saturday I told my mum about me, she was shocked but said she would try to accept this if not understand. Well yesterday I was away all day but prompted by certain replies to my original thread I decided to go round to see her again today and tell her that I would leave it up to her judgement whether she told people or not as I did not just want to unload my secret on to her.

Anyway, yesterday she went out with my sister (my sister that I have said in the past that is not a very nice person). My mum and sister are very close and talk most things through and she said that she had told her about me when Julie asked her if I was gay, as she could tell there was something upsetting her and her and Paul (her husband) had said for a while now that I had a secret.

Oh, no I thought, she will just laugh at me and ridicule me.Well how wrong was I. So this afternoon Mum, Julie (and later husband Paul) came round to see me and we sat and talked through things openly and honestly for the first time in god knows how long. Julie and Paul were so understanding and have even asked me round for a meal so I can introduce Gemma to them. I really have underestimated the love for me that my family has and I broke down when we were talking as I was so worried and afraid what their reaction would be and I sobbed like a baby.

I just hope my brother who lives in London will be half as understanding when I tell him as he is coming to visit in 2 weeks time and I want to tell him face to face. When I first started dressing again I could not have dreamt that just over a year later I would have told my best friend and my mum who in turn has told my sister. I am so surprised the way she has reacted to this and hopefully this will make us a lot closer in the future. Just my brother to tell then for now before I think about bringing up the subject at work.

A mixed weekend of emotions for me, Saturday was a low point as Grimsby were beaten in the League 2 play-offs and anyone who knows me will know how important GTFC are to me but today has been an amazing day for Gemma as I can now be open and honest with the people who I love and are closest to me.

Gemma xx

Be responsible
    Respectable
    Stable but gullible
    Concerned and caring
    Help the helpless
    But always remain
    Ultimately selfish

Get The Balance Right - Depeche Mode - ©1983

Just trying be who I am. Byllie's Avatar
    All I can say, girl, is to bask in the radiance of love that your family is shedding on you.
    Life comes in all colors ... so please be kind to all you meet.

Love it's a beautiful thing !

Gemma -- Your world is turning so fast now. I'm glad that things are going well for you and your family. Take care, hun.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Wonderful News

Gemma, How wonderful to accepted by your family. I'm sending you lots of love and warm wishes.
    Brianna L

Thank you all so much, this morning when I woke up it felt like a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Be responsible
    Respectable
    Stable but gullible
    Concerned and caring
    Help the helpless
    But always remain
    Ultimately selfish

[SIZE="4"]I hear you Gemma! I really do. I had the same when I told my mum. Sept she told my Dad, he was one she had said shouldnt know. Oh well! He too was fine, although he hasnt mentioned it to me he has still been the same with me. Life is wacky isnt it?! You think one thing then find out that it isnt like that at all!

I am well pleased for you! Congrats!
    [/SIZE]
    We have to weather the storm before we can enjoy the sunshine

[SIZE="4"]Oh and BTW I was soooo jelouse of you when I found out that you had met me ole buddy Toyah on Saturday! I wish things were like that here![/SIZE]
    We have to weather the storm before we can enjoy the sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma Rhodes
    Thank you all so much, this morning when I woke up it felt like a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
    Ah Gemma a mixed weekend but with good results. Imagine now how wonderful and light those bra straps are going to feel. As a sports fan I wonder if its healthy to get so excited and emotionally involved with our sport teams. The highs are wonderful but those lowly lows can kill you. Sally2

Hi. Gemma...I know just how much courage that took love...and how important it is to you.....I am so pleased that everything has worked out as it has...we have a lot to catch up on when we next meet methinks.!!!!.See you soon.
    Love Nikki. x

In the open now!

I bet you're glad that's over with girl. Good for you.0.02

Risk rewarded

Gemma - Once you open up to someone about CDing, you're sort of waiting for an explosion to happen. What you got was a sunburst and blossoming flowers. I an truly happy for you!
    Talon

So glad everything went well for you hun , bummer bout GTFC tho guess its expected they are good at letting fans down. Although it was a short time it was good to meet you at last

When you say you are telling them "about you" what is it that you are saying? Are you saying you are TS or CD or some other way of explaining it. I'm just curious how you put your case as it is such a sensitive issue. What I am trying to say is...what do THEY think you are now? Now that you've told them?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie York
    When you say you are telling them "about you" what is it that you are saying? Are you saying you are TS or CD or some other way of explaining it. I'm just curious how you put your case as it is such a sensitive issue. What I am trying to say is...what do THEY think you are now? Now that you've told them?

Thanks.
    Well Julie, Im not TS so I just told them that I am a transvestite (hate the word but its the only one that people understand). I have told them that when I dress I only dress fully and it is not sexual for me but I just feel so much more relaxed when dressed and I love seeing Gemma looking back at me. All this is true but I have not explained that I may want to start dressing fulltime in the future and if and when that happens I will have to take a deep breath and tell everybody,but at the minute I am happy that the people who I love and are closest to me know so I can stop living a lie like I have been recently. I will tell more people on a need to know basis if and when I decide the time is right. So far everyone I have told has been really accepting and hasn't judged me.

And Toyah, it was great to meet you too and your lovely wife,hopefully we shall meet again very soon.

Gemma xx

Be responsible
    Respectable
    Stable but gullible
    Concerned and caring
    Help the helpless
    But always remain
    Ultimately selfish

Good for you. I wish you luck.

I am so happy that it appears to all have turned out for the best,as you were so concerned that it might go in a diffirent direction.This is a great story to relate to the group.

Formerly Natalie Lynn Tracy Lynn's Avatar
    That's great Gemma. So happy for you.
    Love Ya, Tracy

"Like the sky opens after a rainy day we must open to ourselves.... Learn to love yourself for who you are and open so the world can see you shine." ~James Poland

Gemma, thanks so much for sharing and I am delighted to hear that your family has shown such acceptance. You certainly deserve the happy ending! Congrats.

Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Thank you all for your further replies girls, it really is a source of comfort to know Ihave so many wonderful friends here.

My sister has invited me round for a meal at the weekend as she saysshe would like to meet Gemma. I am really excited about this but very nervous too. I will let you know how it goes and also about telling my brother when he comes to stay the weekend after.

Thank you for your wonderful support the last year, I really do appreciate it.

A hug for each and every one of you.

Gemma xx

Be responsible
    Respectable
    Stable but gullible
    Concerned and caring
    Help the helpless
    But always remain
    Ultimately selfish

GypsyKaren
    I'm very happy for you Gemma, I know that you're a very sweet person and I wish you the best with all of this.

Karen