Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressers, how many are TG

Banned Read only

Crossdressers, how many are TG

Crossdressers, how many are TG and how many are Crossdressers. Of course we have to define both. TG is someone that is changing gender ie hormones, surgery, living as the opposite gender etc. A crossdresser is a man that dressed up once in a while, no major body changes. I do not believe a crossdresser would have major body changes, like breasts or face surgery. Removing hair OK and like in my case a nose job to fix a broken nose. This would not be feminization as I see it.

Since this is a crossdressers site there seems to be a majority that are TG there are TG sites.

What about a poll ?

BTW: CD not emulating woman (nobody would believe me if I'd try )

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I guess my viewpoint is somewhat different:

CD = someone who only dresses as the opposite sex
    TS = someone who takes hormones and/or undergoes FFS/SRS/etc
    TG = catch-all term which includes both CD and TS
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    However All of the above often dress as the opposite sex---CD is an ACTION not what someone is----People CD for various underlying reasons.

Banned Read only

Good way to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Twelve
    However All of the above often dress as the opposite sex---CD is an ACTION not what someone is----People CD for various underlying reasons.
    Good way to say it. Are you and English Major?

CD is an action and TG is what a person is.

In that way a TG is not crossdressing but just being what you are.

As for TG vs TS. TS is being replaced by TG since TG is more politically correct.

It is not sex it is gender! Sex is an action and gender it what you are!

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janedoe311
    Good way to say it. Are you and English Major?

CD is an action and TG is what a person is.

In that way a TG is not crossdressing but just being what you are.

As for TG vs TS. TS is being replaced by TG since TG is more politically correct.

It is not sex it is gender! Sex is an action and gender it what you are!
    You cant really say that ALL people who CD are TG--some of us do it to ESCAPE from who we really are---others do it for "Thrill seeking" and then there are the fetishists and rhe "humiliation" S&Ms. Nothing TG in these cases they only share a penchant for wearing the clothing of the opposite sex.----Thats why I say CD is something people do for a variety of reasons ranging from gender confusion to a simple thrill.

Its also a big reason there is so mich confusion with CD as many might be looking up the wrong tree for answers.

No I am not an English major, but a Scientist
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 05-31-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Which is unfortunate. While some of us are something more than just CD we are all the same not quite TS. The distinction between TG and TS is useful even if not "correct".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marina is a scientist. Her analysis is empirical. Good going girl!

While some of us are something more than just CD we are all the same not quite TS. The distinction between TG and TS is useful even if not "correct".
    I agree with Teresa's statement that is how I would describe myself

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Twelve
    That seems to be the most logical understanding. TV, TG and TS all may X-dress.

A transvestite person may X-dress just for sexual fantazy or the pleasure of wearing soft material.

A Transgender person may x-dress to feel like a woman, start living as a woman without going through an SRS operation

A transsexual person may x-dress to live as the woman she now is after having had an SRS operation. However, as such a transsexual may not need to x-dress and just wear pants just like GGs do. She doesn't need to x-dress to feel her feminity.

And of course there is a continuum in between those categories.

I think the I am in between a transvestite and a transgender. I like to dress like a woman and live like a woman for as long as my current family situation enables me to. I have managed to build breasts but without hormones. I'm not motivated to go further on in my feminisation. However I would love to be in a position to live full time as a woman.

So I'm a near TG who likes to x-dress

RE-Member
    A crossdresser is a man that dressed up once in a while, no major body changes. I do not believe a crossdresser would have major body changes, like breasts or face surgery. Removing hair OK and like in my case a nose job to fix a broken nose. This would not be feminization as I see it..
    But you have three boobs! That's kinda major mod there baby! Triple femme. Tri-tittie. A Triumvirat of squeezie goodness.

Katrina, um your 'viewpoint" is more fact than just opinion.

transgendered covers all those different terms{as you said}....tv/cd/or ts , I think some people shy away from considering themselves tg, because they are terms which confuses wives and people not in the know.

I think if any on here would have seen Larry Kings interview with people who are post and pre-op ts....well you would have been laughing. he could not seem to figure out the meanings. I think most people who dont' spend the time getting the basics down, even with in our own community often use the words in the wrong way to describe the different meanings and what they indicate.

Even on the womens list I moderate I find women often get freaked out when the hear the term "transgendered" thinking their hubbys are about to undergo srs. And even after they are given the definitions they still seem bothered.

And now with the new term "transgenderists" it even broadens the scope of definition.

I am no expert, but your explanation covers it very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    I guess my viewpoint is somewhat different:

CD = someone who only dresses as the opposite sex
    TS = someone who takes hormones and/or undergoes FFS/SRS/etc
    TG = catch-all term which includes both CD and TS

What am I?

I guess by definition, I would be considered TG. The only problem is I don't define myself under any "blanket". I just consider myself Ericka, plain and simple. EKR

See what the media does!

TG- transgender(ed) was initially coined to cover the whole spectrum of gender varient presentations or gender varient behavoirs.

Many who are, e.g., CD/TV, do not consider themselves to be TG, because they consider it a hobby, a sexual kink, etc.

I am a CD who considers himself to be TG, because I have a scientifically unexplainable urge to cross dress that I cannot purge myself of. I have no gender dysphoria with my male self. One does not need to have gender dysphoria to be TG.

Note also the Transsexuals do not necessarily use hormones or have surgical alterations of their body. If someone self identifies as TS, then they are TS. Their reasons are their own.

The definitions should not include a description of medical relief. One can identify as TS long before seeking any medical relief.
    DonnaT

I was a CD then realized that I was TG, as described by some, and now I'm a non TS. Maybe I was TS all along and didn't know it.
    Labels create such seperation

Rikki
    "Every desire of your body is holy. Did you hear what I said? Every desire of your body is holy"
    Hafiz "The Gift" Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

Since this is a crossdressers site there seems to be a majority that are TG there are TG sites.

Not sure I understand that statement. Are you saying that TG's should not be here at a crossdresser site?

A large number of us here have contemplated going full time. Or at least considered it in trying to put our lives in perspective. Just as the wonderful GG's here help us with understanding ourselves and supporting us, the girls that are in transition are also a great part of this site.

Hugs
    Hey this is me....it's who I am.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks
    outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens.

-- Carl Gustav Jung

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Ma'am, You can wear the pants in the family....may i wear the dress.

gotta go with Katrina!

Kathy and Katrina get the bonus points for clarifying all this terminology confusion....I know many gals that have transitioned or are in transition and many years ago all of them called themselves transsexuals or TS's when talking about themselves. Those were the more "rugged" gals. THe more refined gals i know go for transgender...
    ... I know Many cd's and tv's that Just dress and and then i'll bet there are many who usually never admit they would like to go further*lots of transgenders spent most of their lives...Just...Dressing ...before doing hormones or going further way later in years*....and many transition with just hormones and develop breasts...the ones i would term as transgender. To actually be a transsexual is the ultimate move *or snip/snip , as it were*...the total committment to become the opposite sex!
    the fact that labeling us is confusing is compounded by the fact that most of us are confused about ourselves...thats why this chat is so popular with us, we are finding out more and more everyday, as are our GG's!
    Its good to know some of us have things figured out! just makes ashleygurl realize there IS hope for me to understand myself!!!
    Just WHAT THE HECK..Do i call myself???
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Big Hugs!
    Ash
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Amina
    Which is unfortunate. While some of us are something more than just CD we are all the same not quite TS. The distinction between TG and TS is useful even if not "correct".
    Thank you, Teresa (and also Donna T, Katrina and Kathy GG). Please let's not follow the popular trend of using TG and TS interchangeably. It's NOT the same thing and further use in this manner will create more confusion and misinformation.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This forum is open to all, not just crossdressers.... I guess the GG's shouldn't be here either then??
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Platinum Member
    Just a food for thought from a UK boy.........TG to me means short for Transgendered so that means the whole Spectrum, which includes TS/TV/CD

CD is just a part of that bigger spectrum

Therefore this forum caters for the whole Transgendered community no matter where we fit in to it

What Me Worry
    I'm a Virgo if that means anything.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Ann
    I'm a Virgo if that means anything.
    your also a TG wow go figure that!!

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Unfortunately there is a bit of "terminology shift" going with "transgender" starting to be equated with "transsexual."

Quote Originally Posted by AP Stylebook
    transgender - Use the pronoun preferred by the individuals who have acquired the physical characteristics of the opposite sex or present themselves in a way that does not correspond with their sex at birth. If their preference is not expressed, use the pronoun consistent with the way the individuals live publicly.
    There appear to be a variety of causes. First off the AP Stylebook, which is the style guide used by many organizations adopted a explanation for "transgender" that while not technically inaccurate, is incomplete, and can easily give the impression that TSs are the only transgender people out there. (For one thing, it replaces an entry for "sex change.")

Unfortunately, the AP -- although they consulted the National Center for Transgender Equality -- chose not to use a definition that had been developed (for a supplemental styleguide) by the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association that was much more explicitly inclusive:

Quote Originally Posted by NLGJA
    transgender (adj): An umbrella term that refers to people whose biological and gender identity or expression may not be the same. This can include preoperative, postoperative or nonoperative transsexuals, female and male cross-dressers, drag queens or kings, female or male impersonators, and intersex individuals. If an individual prefers to be called transsexual, drag queen or king, intersex, etc., use that term. When writing about a transgender person, use the name and personal pronouns that are consistent with the way the individual lives publicly.
    and had additional entries for "transsexual" and "cross-dresser."

I've been meaning to write NCTE (which gave its blessing to the new AP entry) to find out what the story is behind their endorsement since while it is better for transsexuals, but problematic for the rest of us. That said, it may be just one of those endorsements one has to give -- for political purposes -- even though the action is short of what you really wanted.

Also, at least some transsexuals seem to be calling themselves TG instead -- apparently because they don't like the "sex" in "transsexual." While I support the right to self-identify how one choses, it is annoying that none seem to bother (in articles and TV interviews I've seen) to mention that TG can also refer to other folks as well.

Finally, there's the issue of "frame drag" which occurs in any volunteer organization, including those serving the TG communities. Frame drag refers to the fact that communities often get dominated by those who have the most time, energy and interest. These people's perspectives and priorities may be different from those of the group at large, but rather than see their leadership roles as representing the diversity of the group they often focus it on their own agendas. So the "frame of references" gets dragged in that direction. For example, a friend's wife, who's a working mom, has found that in a neighborhood' mom's group that her interests and concerns taking a back seat to the stay-at-home moms who now dominate the group because they can put more time into it.

For the most part, it's TSs who are the most active in groups like TGSF or NCTE so "transgender" ends up reflecting the things they feel are most important. There's nothing sinister about it, it's just a fact of organlzational dynamics and unless CDs and other non-transition track folks get involved, we're relying on the goodwill of us to carry our concerns. The other factor is that TSs are usually the most visible members of this group, so if they're who the general public sees, then that's who they assume "transgenders" are.

Bottom-line, if non-transition track folks on the TG spectrum want the general public to know we exist, we're going to have to get out their and show them we're here.
    Last edited by Marlena Dahlstrom; 05-31-2006 at 09:34 PM.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

pretty pretty princess

hmm....

i tend to feel more than just a cder.but i wonder to what degree i am.i wouldn't mind the surgery snip snip,i'm trying black cohosh to see if there are any benfits mentally,emotionally,or whatever? i pass when i go out and i have 36b natural breasts.i'm not for sure where i am right now.

michelle19845

Janedo311

iI am tg. I am more at home as Michelle then I am as myself. If I could I would just be Michelle all of the time.

Michelleliz